Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,384 Words
  • 2,365 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Neko's Tail - 31. Separation

Elias stood in Artemis’ arms, watching the white Egaro fix a chip into Reinard’s necklace. Reinard was unhappy with the situation; he should be the one holding Elias, keeping him safe. But Artemis was good enough, he supposed.

At a certain level, the Faro knew this was all his hormones urging him to protect what was his. But Elias wasn’t his. Elias belonged to Elias, and while Reinard wanted to protect the neko, he couldn’t take away Elias’ freedom in doing so.

“When we are planet-side, you need to keep these on you. Elias, you don’t speak much, so you shouldn’t need your translator. Just stay near me. I know a little Taaga and I can translate,” Iason said. “These communicators will work up to a thousand kilometres. Merely touch the chip and say the name of myself or Captain Geiro and we will hear you.”

Reinard crossed the room, reaching to cup Elias’ face.

“Are you okay?” he asked, his necklace dangling freely.

Captain Geiro sighed.

“I guess we are done here. Let’s return to the cabin.”

They left the room, Reinard and Artemis each taking one of Elias’ hands.

“We should be heading through the portal again in around two hours,” Geiro added as they walked. “We will stay in the cabin until Colonel Atharo comes to get us. And there will be no sex.”

He glared at Iason, the Egaro having the sense to look contrite.

“Captain, it is not something we can control,” Artemis spoke up. “Not without a great deal of trouble for ourselves at least. I helped one of my people in their time of need, and that is all that should need to be said about it.”

“Good. Then I won’t hear any more about it,” Geiro said.

Reinard frowned at the other Faro as they approached the cabin. Passing through the door, he went and laid back on the bed, Elias joining him. The neko placed his head in Reinard’s lap, a strange move for the cat. Reinard reached down, running his hands carefully through Elias’ hair.

The neko purred, the vibrations running through Reinard’s lap. The Faro knew Elias could feel his reaction, but he didn’t seem to mind.

Elias rest a hand on Reinard’s stomach tenderly, rubbing it slowly. The Faro loved seeing the look of gentle wonder in Elias’ eyes, the way he carefully touched Reinard as if he was afraid he was going to break the Faro.

“You’re going to be a great segal,” Reinard smiled.

 

The door to the cabin opened, Colonel Atharo standing outside the room.

“We’re in orbit around Oyhaf B2. Captain Artemis, we should use your ship to land. It will be more obvious than using one of my shuttles. I will be joining you on the ground. I have business with General Aro.”

Artemis held back a sigh, standing up. They would be fine. Just a quick landing, say hello, and leave.

He grabbed his tablet, motioning to Elias and Reinard. The group left the cabin behind them, the colonel leading them to the docking bay.

“Oh, by the way, congratulations Reinard. I heard about your pregnancy,” the Xanar smiled at the Faro.

“Thank you,” Reinard smiled back.

They were silent as they entered the smaller ship. Artemis was surprised when Elias joined the group in the cockpit. He had assumed the neko would stow himself in his cabin, but it appeared Elias’ urge to protect Reinard won over his urge to hide.

There had to be a way for Artemis to protect Reinard and Elias too. They shouldn’t be caught up in this mess.

“Colonel, may I speak to you in private?” the Egaro asked.

Frowning, the Xanar nodded, following Artemis out of the cockpit.

“Colonel, I don’t want Elias or Reinard to be in trouble for something I caused,” the tiger said quietly. “Is there any chance I could have them sent to Reinard’s home? I know they would be safe there.”

Atharo nodded.

“As I understand it, Captain Geiro thought along the same lines but rejected the idea due to the distance between the worlds. Personally, I believe it is a good idea. You won’t be able to contact the cadets for at least three days, most likely for a week. I will send Lieutenant Iason with them. With luck, any assassin will go for him first and he will be able to stop them.”

Artemis breathed a sigh of relief.

“Thank you, Colonel,” he said.

“We will regroup in the cockpit and I will inform everyone of the change in plans. You, Captain Geiro, and I will use a shuttle to reach the planet since they do not have the speed necessary for travel between planets.”

The Egaro nodded before following Colonel Atharo back into the cockpit.

“Captain Geiro, you will accompany Captain Artemis and myself to Oyhaf B2. Lieutenant Iason, you will take Captain Artemis’ ship and fly Cadets Reinard and Elias to Reinard’s home.”

Lieutenant Iason nodded, flashing a look at Artemis. For his part, Artemis took Elias aside.

“Kitten, we’re going to be apart for a bit. Are you okay with that?” he asked quietly.

Elias frowned, shaking his head.

“Iason will keep you safe,” Artemis said. “I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

The neko signed something, Artemis’ mind taking a second to translate.

“His heat? I don’t know. You’ll have to ask him about that, but I know he won’t touch you unless you want him to. And if you do, that is okay. You know that, right?”

Elias shrugged. He suddenly wrapped his arms around Artemis, burying his head into the Egaro’s chest.

“I love you kitten. Don’t be afraid. We’ll be okay. Maybe we can stay at Reinard’s place until your children are born.”

Elias’ mouth turned up into a smile at the thought. Artemis bent slowly, his lips pressing against Elias’. He was happy when the neko kissed him back instead of pulling away.

Ruffling Elias’ hair, he smiled at the neko.

“This will all be over soon,” he said.

 

Elias strapped himself into the seat on the left, watching Iason run through the ship’s controls. It was almost like having Artemis flying. Almost.

The vessel shivered as Iason increased the engines. His hand sought out the vertical thrusters, lifting the ship a foot off the ground. Elias was pushed against his belt as the ship moved backwards.

Suddenly the neko was falling. His arms shot out, trying to catch himself until he realised he was still sitting in his chair, still strapped in. Reinard screamed across from him, the Faro’s arms flailing.

“Damn it, where’s the gravity?” Iason muttered.

Elias unbuckled himself, gripping his belt tightly. He tried to stand, his feet pushing against the ground. The neko rose into the air with a squeal, his fingers tightening around the strap in his hand. His arm pulled taught, catching him before he hit the ceiling, and Elias took a deep breath.

Reaching for Iason’s chair, Elias pulled himself forward experimentally, finding himself speeding toward the seat. He hit it roughly, wincing in pain as his nose began throbbing.

The neko carefully pulled himself around the chair, scanning the ship’s controls until he found the button that would turn on the ship’s gravity. His finger poked the button and he dropped like a stone, landing in Iason's lap with an oof.

“Oh, there it is…” the Egaro mumbled, stroking the cat in his lap.

Elias rolled off Iason, hurrying over to Reinard.

“So that’s what no gravity is like,” Reinard shuddered, his hands gripping the arms of his chair. “Are you okay Elias?”

The neko grinned. That had been fun. He’d have to try it again sometime.

The smile turned to a frown as Reinard suddenly darted out of the cockpit. Elias hurried after the Faro, finding him in the bathroom with his head in the toilet.

The neko grabbed Reinard’s ears as he had seen Geiro do, holding them away from the Faro as the smell of acrid bile filled the small room.

“I’m glad one of us enjoyed being weightless,” Reinard coughed. “My stomach does not agree with it at all.”

He lurched forward again, his stomach emptying once more.

“Ugh… I hope Artemis is having a better time.”

Hey everyone, I've been trying shorter chapters lately and I want to hear from you. If you like the short chapters or if you prefer longer chapters to read, please let me know. As always, thank you for your continued interest in my writing. Your support means the world to me.
Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 17
  • Haha 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Both. I'm an avid reader so I will always say longer chapters. I would recommend going with your flow. I would much rather you avoid writers block. Much better stories then. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I'm not too impressed by the strategic thinking here. If they truly wanted Elias and Reinard to be safe, why send them away in the same ship which they intended to attract attention? The Artego estate might be moderately safe, but we never saw any extraordinary security measures there.

Elias' offspring to be are developing ahead of schedule, but how far? What will a Faro/neko hybrid be like? Fatherhood is forcing Elias out of the comfort zone he tends to cling to and that is a good thing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, dutch woman said:

The story begins to get to me. And i think that your writing skills are getting beter and beter.

Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, drpaladin said:

I'm not too impressed by the strategic thinking here. If they truly wanted Elias and Reinard to be safe, why send them away in the same ship which they intended to attract attention? The Artego estate might be moderately safe, but we never saw any extraordinary security measures there.

Elias' offspring to be are developing ahead of schedule, but how far? What will a Faro/neko hybrid be like? Fatherhood is forcing Elias out of the comfort zone he tends to cling to and that is a good thing.

Not everyone can be a master of strategy. Unfortunately this seems to be one of those times when the limits of the author are pushed on the characters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
16 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

Not everyone can be a master of strategy. Unfortunately this seems to be one of those times when the limits of the author are pushed on the characters.

I was criticizing the character's thinking, not the author or the writing.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I think chapter length should be organic, and entirely dependent on what feels right to you as the author.  If it feels like a 'snippet' then that works just as well for me as one where I settle in to read with a hot drink.

 

  • Love 5
Link to comment

It's been said already but given the dates of the posts might still be relevant - write what works for you. No need to agonise over how long it is.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

OMG, too funny, Elias lands on Lason’s lap and he starts petting him, Elias runs away grinning. I can see my cat doing the same thing lol.  You can definitely create visuals in my head!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Straycat said:

OMG, too funny, Elias lands on Lason’s lap and he starts petting him, Elias runs away grinning. I can see my cat doing the same thing lol.  You can definitely create visuals in my head!

Just a note that Iason is spelled with an i, not an L.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..