Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 2,923 Words
  • 2,833 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Neko's Tail - 16. The Faro

A loud knock woke the tiger up.

Grumbling about never being allowed to sleep as much as he wanted, Artemis rolled away from Elias and stood up. The neko’s eyes blinked at him, cocooned under the sheets, and he smiled.

“Morning sleepyhead,” he grinned, the neko bringing his mood back up.

Another knock at the door sent it plummeting once more. The tiger sped across the room, throwing the door open.

“Morning Captain,” the black Dalmar on the other side said, adjusting his glasses. “This is the wake-up call you asked for.”

“What? I didn’t ask for a wake-up.”

The Dalmar frowned.

“You didn’t? This is room 13, right?”

“It should be room 14,” Artemis grumbled.

The dog turned the door, angling it in the light.

“Crap,” he muttered in his own tongue. “My apologies Captain. Have a good morning.”

The Dalmar hurried toward another room, and Artemis closed the door, grumbling.

“Well,” he sighed, looking at Elias. “We can try to get back to sleep, or we can wake up and get the day started.”

The neko just stared back at him.

“Not going to help me decide?” Artemis asked.

Elias shrugged.

“It’s funny, you are so expressive for such a quiet person, and then there are moments where I just have no idea what you’re thinking.”

His words were met with another blank stare and a yawn.

“Are you just not a morning person?”

Shrug.

“Or should I teach you sign language so you can talk without talking?”

The tiger’s eyes widened.

“Actually, that’s a great idea. Hold on a second, I’ll be back.”

Artemis sped out of the room, hurrying to his ship. He was going to find a way for Elias to talk, one way or another.

 

Elias studied the tablet in front of him, the motions of the hands on the screen entrancing him. A deep voice spoke as the gestures repeated themselves, labelling this motion “A”.

Looking down at his hands, Elias copied the motions, flexing his fingers. It felt good, twisting his fingers around and stretching them.

On the other bed, he could see Artemis doing the same exercise, trying to learn the new language. He had warned Elias that the neko’s translator wouldn’t help. That used sound to translate, and with no sound, the device couldn’t translate.

The neko played around with the letter for a while, startling when Artemis stood up. The tiger grabbed a cup of the beer and drained it before turning to Elias.

“Hey, I need to figure out where the tests are held,” he said. “I’m going to do some looking around. Are you okay here?”

Elias nodded, turning back to the tablet.

“I’m going to lock the door. Don’t leave the room until I get back, okay? I’ll knock on the door exactly twice.”

He nodded again, watching the hand on his tablet sign a “B”.

The door clicked shut, and Elias turned off his tablet, turning his attention back to the viewing screen. A bunch of kids chasing each other on the screen was much more interesting than a new language.

 

After an hour of searching the port, Artemis was almost ready to give up. Most of the people he spoke with knew nothing of Xanthian and he didn’t know anything about the Dalmar speech. His translator had picked it up from the viewing screen the night before, for which he was grateful. He could understand the dogs, he just couldn’t talk to them.

He walked away from another dog, making his way toward his ship.

“How does Elias do it?” the tiger muttered, reaching the vessel.

He pressed his thumb to the ship lock, and the ramp descended.

“Oh…” someone said quietly, and the tiger turned.

A Faro stood behind him, fox ears drooping in alarm. One ear had a tear in it, jagged and ugly. It almost looked infected.

“Can I help you?” Artemis asked, looking down at the fox.

It was the first Faro he had seen, and he was surprised to see one on the planet. The sand-coloured creature came up barely to his stomach, smaller than even Elias. His eyes, scanning the environment warily, reminded the tiger of the neko, confused and scared. A scarf was wrapped around the Faro’s neck, a strange piece of clothing for a planet as warm as this.

“This… this is your ship?”

He spoke Taanga, fluently from the sound of it. And he understood Xanthian. From what Artemis had seen, this Faro was a rare find.

“Yes.”

“This isn’t the shipyard then…”

“No, it is not,” Artemis agreed. “Are you looking for a ship?”

“I… I have money,” the Faro said uncertainly, holding out a card.

“Well, why don’t you come on board and see if you like the ship? I am in the market to sell, though I hadn’t quite planned on doing it this early.”

As he ushered the fox onto his ship, the tiger “accidentally” tugged on the scarf. A black leather band lay under it, a slave’s collar, and the tiger sighed.

Another slave. And this one a runaway from the looks of it.

“Sorry,” he muttered as the Faro adjusted the scarf nervously.

Closing the ramp behind him, Artemis began showing the fox the cargo space of the ship, going through the motions of selling the vessel. Leading the Faro through the hall, he ushered the fox into the cockpit, standing behind him.

“So, care to explain what a slave is doing with a galactic currency card?”

As he expected, the fox bolted, right into his waiting arms. Artemis grabbed him, holding the fox securely. The Faro was scrawny, light, and the tiger could feel every single rib under his ill-fitting shirt.

“Easy there,” he whispered into the fox’s ear. “Why don’t we start with the easier questions? Do you have a name?”

“R-Reinard,” the Faro shivered.

Artemis released him but made sure the fox wasn’t going to run off.

“Did your… owner… ask you to get a ship for him?”

It was hard to say the word, hard to imagine this being was owned by anyone.

The fox shook his head no.

“I don’t have an owner,” he said, quietly, but firmly.

“You’re collared-”

“I killed her. She used to beat me for breathing too loud. She’d set me free then hunt me for sport-”

“Calm down,” Artemis said quickly.

His mind was racing. Reinard was a slave without a master. Artemis had caught him; by Alliance law, he had first rights to him. But Reinard had also murdered an Alliance citizen. By law, he should be put to death.

“You say you found your master dead?”

The Faro stared at the tiger, his mind trying to catch up.

“Yes, it looked like she was poisoned.”

“And you fled because you were afraid you would be blamed for her death.”

Reinard nodded eagerly.

“I assume you have the remote to your collar with you?” Artemis said sharply.

Frowning, the fox nodded again. He put his hand gingerly into his pocket, removing a remote. Handing the device to the tiger, he winced when Artemis snatched it from him.

“Why did you take her card? It is of no use to you.”

“It… isn’t?”

Reinard turned the card over in his hands, frowning.

“It needs the thumbprint of the owner to work. The living owner,” Artemis explained. “How long were you a slave?”

“Ten years. I was captured in a raid,” Reinard shuddered at the memory.

“Then you should be a prisoner of war, and should have been freed with the other prisoners…”

Artemis growled quietly, rubbing his head. He did not need this.

“Come on. I’m taking you to a Fleet officer. We are going to figure this out.”

 

Elias sipped at the beer, thirst winning out over taste. He didn’t understand how people could like this stuff.

On the viewing screen, a dark dog spoke of Faro pirates around the planet, whatever Faro were. The neko felt a strange dizziness in him as he drank, like the night before. He slowly rolled his head in a circle, enjoying the rush the motion gave him.

Two loud taps came from the door, and the neko stumble over. Unlocking the door, he opened it, letting Artemis in with a strange fox in tow.

“Elias, this is Reinard. He’s been having a little trouble, so I need to take him to Fleet Command here. I’d like you to come with me, but you don’t have to.”

Elias swayed slightly, staring at the fox.

“You’re cute,” he said.

“Elias, how much did you drink while I was gone?” Artemis asked.

The neko shrugged, then held up a finger.

“You should be fine then. Do you want to go with me? We still need to ask where the tests are held,” Artemis said.

Elias nodded, staring at the fox. He really was cute, and he had a big poofy tail. The neko really wanted to touch it, feel it rubbing over his face…

“You know the area better than we do Reinard. Lead the way,” Artemis said.

The Faro led them out of the room, taking them through several halls. Elias walked right behind him, his eyes glued to Reinard’s swaying tail. His own tail was steadily rising, until he felt a light tug on it.

Instantly the neko’s bubbliness vanished. His tail fell between his legs, his ears flattening in shame.

“I guess I’ll have to watch you around alcohol,” Artemis said in his ear. “It’s great to see you coming out of your shell, but now isn’t the best time.”

Frowning as he stared down at Reinard’s feet, Elias continued his silent walk.

 

The trio stopped in front of a black building. Artemis could see the three symbols of the fleet on the wall; the atom of the Science fleet, the hammer of the Military fleet, and the compass of the Exploration Fleet.

He felt a little stupid; he should have realized the station was two buildings. The gap between the buildings was small, but it was there.

Both Elias and Reinard stood to the side, deferring to the tiger. Taking a breath, Artemis opened the door and walked inside.

He found himself in an open room, a Dalmar sitting at a desk in the middle of the room. Four doors lead out of the room, and Artemis assumed they were for the local commanders of the various fleets.

“Excuse me, we need to speak to Fleet Command,” Artemis said, approaching the desk.

“Please take a seat. General Aro will be with you when they are free.”

She motioned the tiger toward a set of seats along a wall. Ushering Elias and Reinard toward the chairs, Artemis sat between the two, keeping an eye on both of them.

Half an hour later they were still waiting, both Elias and Reinard sitting silently, motionless. Artemis didn’t think either had moved, even to scratch an itch. He knew all three of them had to be bored, but there really wasn’t much he could do about that.

“General Aro will see you now,” the Dalmar said suddenly, startling Artemis.

The tiger stood, shadowed by his companions. Guiding them gently toward the room pointed out by the Dalmar, Artemis snapped to attention in front of a Xanar, like he had been taught.

He could feel Elias shaking quietly beside him, the neko’s eyes glaring at the Xanar.

“Captain Artemis? I’ve been hearing a lot about you lately. Took a neko off an unknown planet. Helped to end an illegal slave den in Asla. You’ve been busy.”

The tiger blinked. This was the first he had heard of an illegal slave den. Unless that was where Hawke had found Elias...

“Yes General.”

“Sit,” the Xanar said, and Artemis relaxed, sitting in the single chair on his side of the desk.

His hand snaked out, taking Elias’ reassuringly.

“So, what brings you to me?”

“This Faro General,” Artemis said.

“A slave. I’m assuming a legal one,” General Aro smirked.

“Well, that remains to be seen General. His owner was killed. Poisoned, he says. I found him trying to buy a ship.”

“Poisoned? Are we sure he’s not the killer himself? I’m assuming the owner was Dalmar?”

“Yes General, as far as I am aware. However, there is another complication. He says he was captured in a raid ten years ago.”

“By soldiers, or by slavers?”

Artemis looked at Reinard. When the fox made no move to answer, he said, “Answer the General.”

“By soldiers, General.”

Reinard kept his eyes lowered, and Artemis caught Elias copying the Faro. He squeezed the neko’s hand, and to his surprise, he received a small squeeze in return.

“Hmph. I figured you’d stir up trouble when I heard you had landed here Captain,” General Aro scoffed.

They pressed a button on their desk, and a second later, a Dalmar’s voice spoke.

“Yes General?”

“Send for Lieutenant Hawke. We have a slight problem that requires her… expertise.”

“Right away General.”

Relaxing back in his seat, the Xanar studied Elias.

“So this is the alien. I can see why everyone wants to get their hands on him.”

Another squeeze from Elias. Artemis sent one back his way, as the neko’s tail slapped his butt.

‘Don’t do that kitten…’

Damn, now he had to fight his own tail. Artemis tried to focus on the General, hoping that would help.

“Actually, that’s another issue I had. I want to get Elias tested for the Fleets, but I don’t know where to do that.”

General Aro scowled.

“Yes, in their infinite wisdom, the Alliance decided to have only one training ground in the system, on B3. It’s supposed to foster a sense of comradeship between the Dalmar and the Faro.”

Artemis shared the Xanar’s scowl. They’d be in the system even longer then. He was not a fan of the idea of staying near two possibly volatile planets.

The door to the room opened, and the Xanar put on a smile.

“Lieutenant Hawke, I’m sure you remember Captain Artemis. He will be taking a slave to Athalea, but he needs a little help changing the collar. Captain, I am hereby giving you control of this Faro. He is to be your slave until such time as you arrive at Athalea, at a date no later than a week from now. You will release him back to his home and direct him toward the citizen registry, where he may begin his life anew as a member of his home planet.”

Artemis glanced at the human waiting by the door.

“Will Lieutenant Hawke be accompanying us the entire way to Oyhaf B3?” he asked.

“Will you need her services?”

“No General.”

“Then she will remain here.”

“Thank you General.”

The Xanar nodded, a dismissal, and Artemis stood. He had a lot to do.

 

Elias shivered, grateful to be away from the Xanar. The effects of the alcohol were gone, leaving him free to remember his time captured in the space station.

A hand rested on his shoulder and the neko jumped.

“Hey, it’s okay,” Artemis said, squeezing his shoulder. “Not all Xanar are out to kidnap you. You can’t judge an entire species by the actions of one individual.”

“Come on, follow me,” Hawke interrupted.

The neko glared at her as the trio followed the human into the other building. They should have been done with her. Why did the human keep showing up?

Artemis’ hand clasped his, giving another squeeze.

“So, Lieutenant Hawke. You were demoted?” Artemis asked as they walked.

The human tensed visibly.

“Yes. The IMFL does not take the loss of a ship lightly. The only reason I’m still in the fleet is because of Asla.”

They were silent for the rest of the walk, Artemis refusing to let go of Elias’ hand. The neko was grateful for the constant reminder of the tiger’s presence. Everytime they were apart, things seemed to go wrong.

“Through this door,” Hawke pointed. “There will be a Xanar who can replace the collar on the Faro’s neck.”

Without another word, Hawke spun on her heel and walked away. Hopefully for the last time, Elias thought.

Artemis seemed to steel himself.

“Okay, let’s get this over with,” he said, opening the door.

The tiger walked through the entrance, Reinard on his tail. Elias brought up the rear, making sure the fox didn’t try to run.

“Hello, I need a collar replaced,” Artemis said to a Xanar.

Elias fought his emotions. Artemis was right, he couldn’t judge all Xanar just because he had been taken by one.

The Xanar grabbed Reinard roughly, and Elias could see the pain in the fox’s eyes.

“Where’s the controller?” the alien said gruffly.

Artemis held out the remote, and the being took it, pushing a button on it several times. They pressed the center button, and Reinard hissed.

“He’ll survive.”

Pulling out a large pair of scissors, the Xanar grabbed the collar and cut through it. Elias heard a muffled pop, and Reinard screamed. Both he and Artemis winced at the sound.

“Your thumb,” the Xanar requested, wrapping a new collar around the fox.

Artemis pressed his thumb on the clasp as the Xanar did the same.

“We’re finished here,” the Xanar growled, releasing the new collar.

Reinard collapsed, whimpering, and Artemis scooped the Faro into his arms.

“We’re going back to the room,” the tiger told the neko.

Elias nodded, staring at Reinard. That scream… He never wanted to hear anything like it ever again.

A new person joins the ship. Let's hope for the brief time he's onboard he does not behave like Hawke did.
Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 12
  • Wow 2
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. A new person joins the ship. Elias isn’t good with alcohol.

To be fair, Elias isn't used to alcohol. Maybe he'll eventually learn to control himself when drunk.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Artemis, the Slave Whisperer. He keeps running into cute, damaged slaves. Reinard adds a new dynamic to our duo. He has chosen to seize control of his own rate and luckily he found Artemis. This could have turned out very badly for him.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Artemis, the Slave Whisperer. He keeps running into cute, damaged slaves. Reinard were a new dynamic to our duo. He has chosen to seize control of his own rate and luckily he found Artemis. This could have turned out very badly for him.

It could have turned out very badly. But when you're an abused slave, even death might seem preferable to your situation. And with nothing to live for, nothing to lose, what's stopping you from taking your fate in your own hands?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I am not sure how to respond to this chapter.  All I have are questions.  What is Hawkes' special expertise? Reinard seems less damaged by slavery, but why? Why test in this system and not wait until they reach Artemis' home planet? Will releasing Reinard on his home planet leave him safe with friends and family, or alone and vulnerable?  I wish all well, but expect Yeoldebard has other ideas.merciless how i met your mother GIF

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Hawke's behaviour is a touch more understandable now, she probably knew she was in trouble for losing the ship. Did she engineer the capture of Elias just to bust the illegal slavers and get ahead of it...?

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, AlreadyForgiven said:

Hawke's behaviour is a touch more understandable now, she probably knew she was in trouble for losing the ship. Did she engineer the capture of Elias just to bust the illegal slavers and get ahead of it...?

The world may never know. It's as good a guess as any though.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..