Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,442 Words
  • 8,855 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Neko's Tail - 40. Use Your Words

Artemis found the neko waiting on the bed, curled up in his usual circle of limbs.

“You didn’t like the game?” he asked quietly, approaching the bed.

Elias liked the game. He just didn’t want to play it without Artemis. But he didn’t know how to explain that, so he remained silent, his eyes staring at the tiger’s stomach.

Artemis sat on the bed beside him, the mattress sagging. They had gotten a new bed yesterday, a larger bed, but Elias still tried to stay close to Artemis while they slept. The cat’s presence made him feel safe.

“You know kitten, you can talk to me. It’s okay.”

Elias shook his head. How could he talk when Reinard couldn’t speak? When the fox would no longer walk or play or eat? What right did he have to carry on with his life as though nothing had happened?

“Can you talk to me? I miss your voice kitten, and I don’t know why you don’t want to share it with the universe.”

Elias shook slightly. He couldn’t even sign properly. But he needed to tell Artemis, it wasn’t the tiger’s fault he was silent.

His arm pulled his tablet onto the bed, hand opening a blank screen he could draw on.

“Ranrd cant tahlk.”

Artemis frowned at the messy writing, trying to make sense of it. Suddenly he reached out, his hand tracing letters under Elias’.

“Reinard.”

“I know you miss him. I do too. Does it help when we talk about him?” he asked gently.

Elias nodded slightly. He had memories of the fox, both sweet and painful.

“I loved him too Elias. As a friend. Remember the first night we spent at his house?”

Artemis chuckled quietly.

“You were drunk and you couldn’t stop looking at him.”

Elias’ hand traced over the screen of his tablet, copying the name of his lost love over and over again, searing it into his mind.

“He loved your voice kitten. Do you think he’d want you to hide it from the world just because he wasn’t there to hear?”

It was a good point. But it hurt to think that Reinard would never hear him again. But then, Artemis would never hear him again either. Was it right for him to remain silent around the tiger?

Suddenly Elias realised Artemis was hurting just as much as he was. The tiger was his friend and he was Reinard’s friend too. He cared and seeing Elias like this must be hurting Artemis even more.

But the neko still couldn’t talk.

“I know it’s hard kitten. I’m here for you, in whatever way you need me. And if you don’t want to talk, or if you can’t talk yet, that’s okay. I can wait for you,” Artemis said. “I love you and I will do anything I can to help you.”

Tears streamed from Elias’ eyes and he wrapped his arms around Artemis, his face buried in the tiger’s chest. He loved the tiger too, but he didn’t know how to show it without his voice.

It was still a new feeling for him, and the neko was scared of it. The last time he felt this way, he had been hurt badly. He couldn’t handle if something happened to Artemis.

His mouth opened against Artemis’ chest, his throat working feverishly.

“I… I love… I love you too…” he croaked out harshly.

Artemis’ arms tightened around the cat, the tiger shaking silently with emotion. Elias had spoken… but he didn’t know if he could do it again.

 

Artemis sat in front of the screen, chasing a human through a jungle. He hadn’t played this game in years, and his reactions were slow, allowing other players to get the jump on him, but slowly he got back into the swing of the game.

Elias watched the tiger play, unsure about this new game. He didn’t like the killing, but Artemis seemed to enjoy it, blood splattering across the screen as his character cut another character in half.

“Hey Elias, what do you want for dinner?” the tiger asked, setting his sights on an Egaro.

Elias shrugged, wincing as Artemis’ character was stabbed in the back. Artemis set his controller aside, stretching as he stood.

“Why don’t you think about it, okay? I’m going to do some laundry.”

He went into the bedroom and grabbed the laundry basket, carrying it into the washroom. Five minutes later a load was running and the tiger was walking back to the kitchen, where Elias stood in front of the stove.

To Artemis’ surprise, the neko had a pan of fish cooking on the stove.

“You want to cook?” Artemis asked.

Elias nodded silently, watching the fish cook. Artemis shut off the stove, Elias looking at him in shock.

“You forgot the oil,” the tiger explained, moving the pieces of fish out of the pan.

He oiled the pan and returned the fish, nodding to Elias. The neko turned the stove on again, the fish sizzling quietly in the pan.

“There we go,” Artemis smiled.

He helped the neko flip the fish, and they watched the pan together. It wasn’t going to be much of a dinner but it was something they made together, and both Artemis and Elias were pleased.

Artemis plated the meal, Elias setting the table. The Egaro pulled a bottle out of the cooler, setting it on the table.

“This is alcoholic but it’s not like what you’ve had before,” he said as they sat down. “You don’t have to have any if you don’t want to.”

Elias shrugged as Artemis poured a generous glass of the wine. It wasn’t as alcoholic as most drinks in the galaxy; it was more for taste than for getting drunk. Still, Elias might find it strong, and Artemis was determined to keep the neko from doing anything he might regret.

The neko held out his glass nervously, and Artemis poured the wine into it, giving the cat less than he gave himself.

“Drink that first and let me know how you feel. We don’t have any bread to soak it up and I don’t want you to get too drunk,” he warned.

Elias sipped at the drink, a look of satisfaction crossing his face. He followed the sip with a gulp.

“Slow down kitten,” Artemis said.

He drank some of his wine, enjoying the fruity taste. A bite of fish followed, a small purr slipping from the tiger.

“If you’re interested in learning how to cook, I’ll have to teach you some tricks,” he said, reaching over to ruffle Elias’ hair gently.

Elias nodded, a small smile on his face. He glanced at his plate, attacking his dinner so he wouldn’t have to face the compliment. Drinking more of the wine, he rolled his head, the spinning effects less than they usually were from these drinks. No matter. He’d feel them by the end of the night.

 

Elias sat on the couch, eyes drooping closed. He tried to stay awake, he really did, but the wine made him tired.

“Aw, someone’s a sleepy kitten,” Artemis said, nudging Elias playfully.

The neko let himself fall sideways, plopping on the couch as his head tried to catch up with the fall. Closing his eyes, he let out a quiet mumble.

Suddenly he was lifted into the air, Artemis’ strong arms supporting him.

“Come on kitten, let’s get you in bed,” Artemis murmured, carrying the neko toward the bedroom.

He felt safe snuggled in Artemis’ arms, a yawn breaking from his mouth. Elias’ arm fell over Artemis’ shoulder, wrapping around the back of his neck as the neko rested his head on the tiger’s chest. He could feel the tiger’s purr on his cheek and he smiled tiredly as he descended.

The neko found himself lying in the bed, Artemis gently pulling the covers up to the neko’s chin.

“Do you want me to read to you?” the tiger asked suddenly.

Elias blinked slowly before nodding. Smiling, Artemis left the room, returning with his tablet. He sat on the bed next to Elias, turning his tablet on. Clearing his throat, the tiger began reading.

“Rain pattered quietly on the windowsill, its tapping luring Max into a slumber. He should stay awake; should wait for David to visit as he said he would, but the dragon was nowhere in sight and the tiger was so tired…”

The sound of the tiger’s voice was so gentle in his ears, the imagery he invoked peaceful. Elias let out another yawn, listening to Artemis.

“He felt a hand on his back, sliding down to wrap…”

Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

At least Elias now understands he isn't alone in his feelings of loss. Knowing his withdrawal is hurting Artemis is beginning to pull him back slowly.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..