Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,146 Words
  • 1,187 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Neko's Tail - 36. Homecoming

They remained apart through much of the next two weeks. Artemis landed on a station briefly, buying himself a new tablet, but within two hours of landing they were off again, neither wanting to remain near other beings. Artemis pushed the ship to its limits, growing ever more weary of space. He needed a break, and that wouldn’t be found from a single night on a station.

He was still worried about Elias. The neko refused to eat, and he only drank water when Artemis pressured him to. The sooner they got to Egara, the sooner Artemis could have a mind healer look at Elias. He didn’t know what else to do for the neko.

Artemis knew he needed to see a mind healer too, but Elias was his priority. They were both suffering from nightmares, sleeping in separate beds because Artemis didn’t want to push Elias into a physical relationship. The neko had obviously been intimate with Reinard and the last thing Artemis wanted was for the neko to think he was trying to take Reinard’s place.

It was a time of numb tension on the ship. Artemis tiptoed around Elias, trying to give him the space and quiet he seemed to need. There were certain things he forced upon the neko, such as food and water, but for the most part, he left Elias alone, waiting, hoping Elias would talk to him.

But as he woke on the tenth day out of Oyhaf, the ship’s radar sending an alert, Artemis knew that the healing the two needed was not going to take place on the ship.

He didn’t hold it against Elias; he would never do that. They had both lost a friend, and he understood that the neko needed to grieve. But he would always be there for the neko, if Elias ever needed him.

The tiger sat in the cockpit, checking the radar. They were in the sister system to Egara. All he needed to do was jump through the portal and he would be home. They would be home.

Slowing the ship to just below light-speed, Artemis stood up and left the cockpit. He made his way to Elias’ room, knocking on the door quietly before entering.

Elias was curled up in his bed, sandwiched between the mattress and the ceiling. How he found that comfortable was beyond Artemis, but to each their own.

“We’re in the Egara system. I’m about to power up the portal. Do you want to join me in the cockpit?”

Elias nodded tiredly, a small yawn escaping from him. He looked mortified at the slip, his ears and tail tucked so close to his body they nearly vanished.

“Hey, it’s okay,” Artemis said. “It was just a yawn.”

He gently placed a hand on Elias’ leg, relieved when the neko didn’t immediately pull away.

“I’ll meet you in the cockpit, okay?”

Elias nodded again, and Artemis left the room, his shoulders slumping as soon as he was out of Elias’ sight. He hated seeing Elias in so much pain and he quietly vowed he would do anything in his power to help the neko feel better.

 

Elias stared at the gravity button in front of him. He remembered the sensation of falling through nothing, the last fun moment he had with Reinard. If he couldn’t get the fox back, maybe he could still have the experience.

His hand reached out brushing the button as Artemis focused on the radar. It clicked quietly as he pressed it gently, uncertainly. What would Artemis say? The gravity was supposed to stay on at all times.

He felt the falling sensation take over his body, Artemis gasping next to him. The tiger frantically scanned his instruments, his eyes coming to a halt on Elias’ hand hovering over the button.

“You scared me kitten,” he breathed. “Warn me before you do that next time, okay?”

Elias nodded, his head flopping around.

“If you like having the gravity off, we can keep it off for a while,” Artemis added. “But we need to keep it on most of the time or we’ll get weak.”

Elias shrugged. He was already weak. Too weak to protect the ones he loved.

But he pressed the button again. Artemis shouldn’t have to deal with being weak because of him. The weight of his surroundings pressed down on the neko, Elias tensing in the gravity of the ship.

Artemis smiled at the radar, flipping a switch that made the window in the cockpit transparent. Elias’ eyes widened.

In front of the ship hung a crystal blue orb, taking up most of the window. Splotches of green interrupted the blue, wisps of clouds covering both land and the enormous ocean that covered most of the planet.

“We try to keep the planet clean,” Artemis said, flipping another switch. “You’d be shocked at the number of planets that have been destroyed by their own inhabitants.”

Elias could only stare in wonder as they flew closer and closer to the oceanic world. It took them a while before Artemis finally levelled out the ship, pointing the vessel toward a large island surrounded by thousands of smaller islands.

“The Hephaestus Islands. They’re the centre of Egara’s industry. We do most of our off-world trading with Gaia through the Hub on that island,” Artemis said, pointing toward the tallest building Elias had ever seen.

The ship veered to the left, skimming the Hub before descending toward a group of islands interconnected by bridges.

“Unidentified vessel, this is Egara Base Three. Please identify yourself and your cargo,” a warm voice said over the communicator.

“This is Captain Artemis of the IEFL, flying with Cadet Elias, also of the IEFL. We carry no cargo for trade.”

“Noted Captain. Please land on Platform Ten and open your vessel for inspection.”

The voice cut out as Artemis rolled the ship toward a pad. He pulled up short, letting the vessel hover until they were skimming the pad. Setting the ship down gently, the tiger shut off the engines, turning toward Elias.

“Well, here’s hoping this landing will be better than our last,” he said.

 

A pair of Egaro stepped onto the ship, nodding in greeting to Artemis.

“Captain, Cadet,” one smiled slightly. “It looks like you’ve been gone for some time.”

“We have,” Artemis replied. “Well, I have. This is Elias' first time on Egara.”

The other Egaro studied Elias with interest, her eyes sweeping across the neko’s body. Artemis resisted the urge to hide Elias behind him, wondering what was wrong with him. Sure, he had always been less interested in multiple partners than the average Egaro, but it wasn't like the other tigers were going to jump the neko if he was left alone.

“I have never seen anyone like you before,” the female Egaro said. “Where are you from?”

Elias looked at Artemis, his eyes clearly conveying his discomfort.

“He’s mute,” Artemis said quickly. “He’s from a planet about five hundred light-years away, over near the Taiyan Cloud.”

The Egaro nodded.

“Well, I’m sure you don’t want to be stuck here,” her partner said. “Let’s get started. Can we see your cargo hold please?”

“Right this way,” Artemis replied, leading the two toward the ladder. “Elias, if you want, you can wait in your cabin until we’re done. It shouldn’t take long.”

The neko hurried out of the room as Artemis climbed the ladder.

“I really wish they’d put risers into these things,” one of the Egaro grumbled behind him.

They followed Artemis through the cargo holds, peeking into the holds themselves to find them empty. Normally the holds would carry limpets for exploring, but Artemis hadn’t had the chance to buy them.

The water tank was empty, Artemis having dumped the liquid above the planet. It would vaporize instantly in the vacuum of space, and no contaminants would make it to the planet surface.

“Well, you certainly are empty. It is a nice ship though,” the male Egaro said as they climbed back down into the main part of the ship.

“Thanks,” Artemis said. “It’s a new build from Oyhaf.”

“The dog people? What are they called… Faro?”

“No, the Dalmar. The Faro are their neighbours.”

The female Egaro scoffed.

“Why can’t they just use their name as the planet name?”

“They do. But you try telling two warring species that the other’s name will be used for the entire system.”

Understanding lit her eyes suddenly, and the tiger nodded slowly.

“That is a good point.”

They made a quick walk-through of the rest of the ship, finishing at the still lowered ramp.

“Everything checks out. Welcome home Captain.”

The two Egaro smiled at Artemis, but he just couldn’t return the smile. He was happy to be home, but the journey back had taken more out of him than he had ever thought it would.

 

“We’re about to have some waiting to do,” Artemis warned Elias as they approached a tall building, both carrying a small bag of clothes and their tablets.

Elias shrugged. It wasn’t like he could avoid it. Wherever Artemis went, he was expected to follow. Sometimes the neko wondered how free he truly was.

“You’ll have to talk inside, okay? Unless we can find someone who can read sign language.”

He pushed a door open, holding it for Elias to pass through. The neko shivered in the air-conditioned room. He still wasn’t used to being able to control the elements.

There were so many beings in the room they found themselves in. Aliens of all shapes and sizes stood or sat, waiting their turn to speak to one of thirty different people. Elias groaned quietly. Whatever they were here for, it wasn’t coming easy.

They moved over to a wall, finding an empty spot with some difficulty.

“Hey, I need you to stay right here, okay? You’ll be fine, I’m just going right over there,” Artemis said, pointing toward a strange half pillar.

Elias frowned, grabbing the tiger’s arm.

“Don’t go. Don’t leave me,” he signed frantically.

A four-legged alien bumped into the neko. It twisted away quickly, muttering something Elias didn’t understand.

Artemis touched Elias’ shoulder soothingly.

“I suppose it can wait,” he said. “But when we’re done here, I need to go over there.”

A loud bell rang, and Artemis frowned.

“I guess we got here right on time. They’re getting ready to close.”

He took Elias’ hand, pulling the neko away from the wall.

“Let’s see if I can speed things up a bit,” he muttered, Elias stumbling along after him.

They stopped behind a Xanar who was arguing with an orange Egaro.

“Look, I’m sorry Captain, but you do not get to choose your crew,” the Egaro said firmly.

“I will be speaking to my superiors about this,” the Xanar snapped, wheeling away.

They nearly ran Elias over, Artemis tugging the neko out of the way just in time. The two stepped up to the Egaro, Artemis clearing his throat.

“Hi, I need to register a new citizen to Egara,” he said.

“Very well Captain. Is this them?” The Egaro asked, looking at Elias.

“Yes it is.”

“You are a Cadet already? Where did you test in?”

Elias looked at Artemis helplessly.

“It was Oyhaf,” Artemis frowned. “Nearly two months ago. It took a while to get here.”

“What’s your name?”

“His name is Elias.”

The Egaro frowned at Artemis, typing on a computer similar to the one in the ship.

“Can he talk? I assume he can hear and understand me.”

“He can sign,” Artemis said evasively.

A sigh escaped the Egaro.

“Sorry, it’s been a long day,” she said.

“I understand.”

“Okay, you can answer for him if that is acceptable?” she asked, looking at Elias.

He nodded.

“Good. What species is he?”

“He is a neko from the Taiyan Cloud,” Artemis said.

“First of his species?”

“Yes.”

“Has he had his immunizations?”

“Yes, and he has a translator in him.”

“Any health concerns?”

Artemis frowned, looking at Elias’ eyes. Elias stared back, blank confusion on his face.

“Um, he wears glasses when he reads. Oh, and he suffers from anxiety.”

“Get him to a healer when you have the chance,” the tiger said, looking up from her computer.

“I already planned on it.”

“Anything else to note?”

“He doesn’t talk,” Artemis replied. “And he comes from a pre-flight society.”

The clicking of the keyboard stopped and the tiger looked up.

“Is that it?”

Artemis nodded.

“Okay. Give me a second.”

A machine whirled to life behind the Egaro. She slid a pad toward Elias, the neko trying to see what was making the loud churning noise.

“I need your thumbprint in the centre of this pad,” the tiger said.

Elias hesitantly pressed his thumb into the pad, pulling it away quickly.

“And again on here.”

A silver block was placed in front of Elias, a small section lit upon it.

“Place your thumb on the light,” the tiger said.

Elias pressed on the light, the block beeping quietly. He flinched back, staring suspiciously.

“Okay, you’re all set up. Keep your block and this card on you at all times. It is for both money and identification.”

Elias picked up the block and the silver card he was handed. The card had writing stamped into it, strange letters signing words Elias couldn’t read.

“Thank you so much,” Artemis said gratefully. “We would have been stuck here for hours.”

“I’m always happy to help people avoid that,” the Egaro smiled. “Have a good day.”

Artemis took Elias’ hand and led him toward the pillar. As they approached, the neko realised it was a kind of computer, a screen displaying more of the strange lettering.

“Okay kitten, we need to get paid for our work. Most people get paid individually, by their employer. But as part of the fleet, we can’t do that. So we have this to pay us. I’ll show you how it works and you can copy what I do, okay?” the tiger said.

Elias nodded, his hand brushing against Artemis’. He stayed close to the tiger, scanning the room as the noise level rose slightly.

Artemis slid his card into a slot in the machine, pressing a thumb against a black square on the screen. Letters appeared on the screen and Artemis pressed again. His card slid back out, the screen going blank.

“Did you get that?” he asked.

Elias shrugged, staring at the screen. Artemis stepped aside and Elias hesitantly pushed his card into the same slot Artemis had used.

Placing his thumb on the black square, he felt Artemis’ breath warm up his skin as the Egaro peered over his shoulder.

“You have a thousand credits. You’re getting five hundred a month. That’s better than when I was a cadet,” he said, ruffling the neko’s hair.

Elias stared at the screen uncertain of what to do next.

“Do you see that green square?” Artemis asked.

Elias nodded slowly.

“Press it, and it will put the credits on your card.”

Elias did as he was told, flinching again as his card shot out of the slot.

“Good job kitten. Let’s get out of here.”

 

The swaying of the boat under his feet soothed Artemis, calming his nerves. He hadn’t been home in nearly a year. Who knew what may have changed in that time?

Elias stood beside Artemis, a poncho dwarfing the neko. It was way too large for him, but Artemis knew he’d rather be swimming in clothes than getting drenched in water as waves crashed against the ship.

To the Egaro, the waves were a welcome occurrence. He enjoyed the water spraying over them, salty and wet.

“Over there,” he pointed to a small island with a brick house built high above the waves. “That’s our house.”

Other islands spread out around the island Artemis showed Elias, each with their own house. Footbridges connected them all, and Artemis spotted a couple of Egaro walking along the arched bridges in the early twilight.

Boats began appearing, smaller than the taxi they were using. Waves rippled around them as a vessel cut across their path. Elias jumped as a horn blared at the smaller boat, and Artemis put a protective arm around the neko.

They slowed, the ship bumping against a pier, and Artemis led Elias over the gangway. Elias held his hand in a vise-like grip, trembling as waves crashed under them. This was a possibility Artemis hadn’t considered, that Elias would be frightened of his planet.

They climbed a set of stairs built into the side of the island, Elias not relinquishing his grip. The tiger led Elias to a door, stopping before it.

“You need to get your print on the house,” Artemis said. “Your entire hand this time.”

He pressed his hand into the door, a click telling him the passage was unlocked. Elias copied him and there was a quiet chime. Artemis opened the door, turning on a light as he stepped inside.

A layer of dust covered nearly every surface of the house, Artemis and Elias leaving a trail of footprints as they walked further into the house.

“Well, tomorrow’s a cleaning day,” Artemis sighed. “And probably the day after too.”

He took Elias on a quick tour of the house, the neko sneezing in the dust they kicked up. The kitchen was empty. There was nothing worse than coming home to the stench of rotting food, and Artemis made sure he got rid of any food in the house before he left.

The next stop was the bedroom, Artemis pulling off the old sheets as he walked around the bed.

“There’s only one bed, but I can see about getting another mattress tomorrow.”

Elias shook his head and Artemis let out a breath.

“Look, I know this has been hard on you. I’m so sorry Elias. If you don’t want to share the bed with me, just tell me.”

Elias’ hands went into motion, Artemis following them with his eyes. He was getting better at understanding the signs, the constant practice helping a lot.

“I want to share the bed.”

“Are you sure?”

Elias nodded.

“Okay, well I need to wash the sheets first. I guess I’ll show you where we can do laundry now.”

He was relieved Elias was okay with sharing the bed. Artemis enjoyed sleeping with the neko, cuddling Elias close to him.

The laundry went into the washer, their clothes from the ship joining the bed-sheets. They had twenty minutes to wait for the laundry to finish, and Artemis made use of the time, showing Elias the rest of the house.

Returning to the laundry, the Egaro shoved the clothes into the dryer.

“We need to go out to eat tonight,” he said. “I know the perfect place. We’ll get you used to Egaro cuisine in no time.”

Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

They will both benefit from a mind healer. At least Elias is open to ending his self imposed isolation. It's a big step.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Artemis' world is nothing like I imagined it might be. With tigers you expect push jungles.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..