Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,354 Words
  • 1,034 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Neko's Tail - 43. Extra Scene

We didn't get to see much of Athalea in this story, and I decided to fix that. I hope everyone enjoys this scene. This scene would have taken place while Elias and Artemis were with the Artegos.

Runners hissed over an icy road, a team of foxes panting softly as they pulled at a sled. Overhead, the sun was just starting to dip, the early spring day ending with surprising swiftness.

It had been explained to Elias that the further north he went, the faster the days would become. That made little sense to the neko; his planet seemed to be the opposite. But then, what would he know next to the god who had taken him from his world?

Elias shook that thought from his mind. Artemis wasn’t a god. Sure, he could fly beyond the stars, and he commanded enclosed wagons that moved without any horse, but he told Elias that was just science that his medieval world had yet to learn.

The neko leaned back into the brown tiger with a soft breath, bringing up covered hands to pull a strip of heavy fabric over his nose. He didn’t know why they were heading north, but both Artemis and Reinard seemed excited to race over the snow.

The fox was running with the group, his synthetic red coat a stark difference from the luxurious marble fur of the other three Faro. Elias had been surprised he needed a coat, but the Faro seemed happy enough in the heavy sweater and boots.

Letting the slushing of the sled soothe him into a daze, the neko thought back on his time with the fox and the tiger. Artemis had saved him from slavery on his world, and kept saying he expected nothing for it. But Reinard felt closer to him, a prisoner rescued from a war that had ended years ago. Their pasts seemed connected. And Elias was almost certain the fox was attracted to him.

“Credit for your thoughts.”

The muffled words startled Elias, and the neko turned his head, gazing up at the tiger who held him, who kept him warm in this frozen wasteland. His throat caught on the words, his mind racing as he tried to figure out what he was supposed to say.

A gloved hand stroked his head gently, before turning the neko so Elias was looking at a treeline that ran beside the road. Elias squinted, wondering why he was looking at the trees, but then he saw them.

Pure white Faro racing in their bond forms, the sound of joyous foxes playing with each other.

“The last of the Zarath,” Artemis explained. “They’re the missing link between your foxes and the Faro.”

Elias glanced at the Faro pulling the sled, surprised at a flick from Reinard’s ears, as though he was confirming what Artemis said.

“I thought this world was new?” the neko whispered.

“Hardly. It may be new to the Alliance, but there are centuries, if not millennia, of traditions here that my people would love to see continue,” the tiger smiled.

The sled slowed as dusk approached, and Artemis pulled a lever as they finally stopped. Leaning over the ropes holding the foxes together, the tiger untied them, and Elias watched as the Faro grabbed bundles from the sled.

The foxes scattered, returning one by one minutes later. Now on two legs, they came up to Elias’ chest, their fur covered by thick coats and scarves. No time was wasted setting up camp, and Elias watched them work in quiet awe, the short aliens working as a close team.

“How are you enjoying the trip?” Reinard asked, grabbing a large tent from the sled.

Elias shrugged as he tried to figure out how to set the tent up. It looked nothing like a tent on his world, more round and a lot larger. Artemis joined them, and between the tiger and the fox, the tent was up in less than ten minutes, a collection of warm bedding following close behind.

He had to ask. The question had been nagging at the neko throughout the ride, and he finally worked up the courage.

“Reinard, do you like me?”

“Of course I like you,” the Faro smiled, kneeling to collect a rolled up pillow.

“I mean… I mean like a boy likes a girl…” Elias breathed, his face heating in his hood.

“Oh. I hadn’t thought about it,” Reinard said. “You’re with Artemis, and I can’t be with multiple people. My biology won’t allow for it.”

The fox’s ears twitched as he spoke, and despite their different species, Elias was almost certain Reinard was lying. About which part, he wasn’t certain. He could see Artemis nearby, the tiger trying vainly to act like he wasn’t eavesdropping.

“But… if you don’t like Artemis in that way… could you be with me instead? Artemis and I aren’t together like that.”

The Faro paused, considering the question.

“I’m not sure,” he said finally, and Elias slumped, the burst of courage fleeing at the first sign of adversity.

They settled in for a night in the ice, quiet conversation bouncing between their guides over a dinner that melted in Elias’ mouth. He wasn’t sure about the flavour, but it filled him up, and for that, the lean neko was grateful. More than that, it distracted him from Reinard’s answer.

After dinner, the group settled back, watching the sun sink below the horizon. Elias leaned back into Artemis, stealing the tiger’s warm fur to keep the frigid air at bay. The tiger held his tablet out, scanning it before looking up at the sky, where a few pinpricks of light were fighting for dominance with the setting sun.

“Look over there,” Artemis murmured, pointing at one of the dots. “That’s Astara over there.”

Elias’ eyes widened in shock as he stared at the tiny star. That was his home, where he was from.

“I can barely see it…”

Cold metal was pressed into his covered hand, and Elias looked at the twin metal tubes suspiciously, before frowning at Reinard.

“They’re binoculars,” the Faro said, pushing them up toward Elias’ eyes.

The neko set the device against his eyes, staring through the glass. He gasped in amazement as Reinard filled his vision; he could see every one of the Faro’s dusty tan furs.

“Now up at the sky,” the fox laughed, carefully tilting the glasses.

Elias looked again, trying to find the dot Artemis said was Astara. He felt a warm weight press back into him, and the neko lowered the binoculars, looking down at the Faro curled up in his lap.

“I think I can try,” Reinard smiled up at him.

Elias was confused for a moment, until he remembered the earlier conversation. A grin spread over his own face, and the neko wrapped an arm around the fox, before leaning back into Artemis.

“Welcome to the family,” Artemis smiled, ruffling Reinard’s head fur.

“Hey, watch the sky,” the fox said, directing their gazes upward once more.

Elias watched a hint of green spread through the darkening sky, a soft glow stretching to cover the stars. He sat up in alarm, only to have Reinard’s hand settle him back against Artemis. And suddenly the sky exploded.

Brilliant lights streaked across their vision, greens and reds and violets growing steadily until they nearly filled the sky. Elias stared in a mixture of horror and amazement. What gods could make the sky angry like that? Were they in trouble? He could only assume not; no one else seemed distressed by the lights.

“We’ll have to make this a tradition when we leave Athalea. It can’t just be icy worlds that have auroras, right?” Reinard asked, glancing back at Artemis.

“Egara has them too, but I’ve never seen any this vibrant before,” Artemis said in quiet awe. “This is why I started exploring the galaxy. To see sights like this. Thank you for showing this to us.”

Slowly, Elias relaxed back into his furry cushions, frowning as the lights in the sky suddenly vanished as fast as they’d come.

“It’s over?” he asked quietly.

“Was it worth it?” Reinard asked eagerly.

The neko thought for a moment, before nodding. It was more than worth it, because he got to spend the time with the two aliens he loved.

Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

Wait what!?! I thought reinard was dead? Like this reinard not the next one 😅 

This was an extra scene, not necessarily in chronological order. It seemed to make more sense putting it here instead of making an entirely new story.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

This was an extra scene, not necessarily in chronological order. It seemed to make more sense putting it here instead of making an entirely new story.

Ahhh ok i thought that might be it

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Really confusing it’s like am reading a different story because I thought Elias and Artemis were together now and Reinard was dead I think I was ok with how it ended before 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, mdm6303 said:

Thank you truly great story such creative imagination!! Truly enjoy this and the first one!)

I'm glad you're enjoying my stories :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..