Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,412 Words
  • 2,513 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Neko's Tail - 19. Reinard's Home

Elias flattened himself against a branch as a howl pierced the silence of the forest. They were coming for him; they had his scent.

“Elias.”

Looking up, the neko saw Artemis sitting perfectly balanced on the branch. Letting out a cry, he threw himself at the tiger, his arms wrapping around Artemis.

“You’re okay. They can’t hurt you,” the tiger whispered, stroking his hair, calming him. “They aren’t real.”

“Y-you’re real…?”

Artemis chuckled quietly.

“You’re asleep kitten. Everything you see is under your control. It has been this whole time. I’m as real as you want me to be, and I am entirely under your command..”

He was in a dream? Then he could do what he wanted, and no one would stop him...

Elias climbed into the tiger’s lap, nestling into Artemis’ fur. He was safe…

An itch grew in his arm, and Elias reached to scratch it.

“Hold on a second. I’ll get that out for you.”

The neko’s eyes opened blearily. He was laying flat on his back in a white room, Artemis nowhere in sight.

Elias’ head whipped around, and he found the Dalmar holding his arm. A small pad was pressing into his arm, a red dot in the middle of it.

“You’re safe,” the Dalmar said, removing the pad. “There, all better.”

He felt better. There were no scratches on his body and no more pain in his arm.

“Hey kitten.”

And there he was. Artemis stood against the wall, watching Elias nervously.

“I’ll give you two a moment,” Nidara smiled, walking around the corner.

The tiger walked toward Elias slowly.

“I am so proud of you,” he whispered, setting his hands on the side of the pod.

Elias reached out cautiously, setting his hand on Artemis’. No matter how many times the tiger assured him it was okay to touch him, he was still nervous doing it. Even with Artemis’ tail sending some pretty strong signals.

“I dreamt about you,” the neko realized.

“I know,” Artemis admitted. “I watched the whole thing. Do you want me to hold you like that?”

There was a moment’s hesitation, then the neko nodded. Artemis’ hands scooped under his torso, lifting him into the air. The tiger cradled Elias against his chest, holding him close.

“I didn’t like watching what they put you through,” he said, sitting against the wall.

Elias wrapped an arm around Artemis’ neck, resting his head on the tiger as he curled up.

“The stick thing…” the neko murmured. “I didn’t…”

Artemis smiled, stroking Elias’ hair.

“It’s called a compass. There are things called magnets, and the needle on the compass points toward the closest magnet. Usually that means the ends of a planet.”

They sat quietly for a minute, enjoying the closeness.

“Do you know something Elias?” Artemis said quietly.

The neko gazed at him with eyes laden with sleep.

“We can do this any time you want. All you have to do is ask.”

The door to the room opened, and the three officers entered again. Artemis helped Elias stand, grasping his hand as he stood beside the neko.

“Elias, we have reached a decision regarding your request to test into the Fleets,” Dorail said.

They nodded to Nidara.

“Elias, upon examination, your request to test into the Interstellar Military Fleet is denied,” the Dalmar said imperiously.

Eitara spoke next.

“Elias, upon examination, your request to test into the Interstellar Science Fleet is… denied.”

The Faro seemed almost regretful, and Artemis felt his heart sink.

“Elias, upon examination, your request to test into the Interstellar Exploration Fleet… is granted.”

Dorail smiled as they spoke the words.

“If you still wish to join the fleet, you may go to the quartermaster and request a cadet bangle. Should you no longer wish to join, no action will be taken against you.”

“I… I can join the fleet?”

Elias looked up at Artemis.

“Yes, you can.”

“But… I didn’t learn the compass…”

“But you enjoyed using it, didn’t you? You found your way through much of the forest with no one to guide you, and even after running, you continued using the tools you had to move on,” Dorail said.

“Elias, you may not be cut out for military service, but you showed courage in fighting back against the wolves,” Nidara added.

“We are all proud of you.”

The neko squeezed Artemis’ hand nervously.

“Do I have to leave you now?” he whispered.

“No. You never have to leave me if you don’t want to,” the tiger smiled.

“Explorers have a great deal of freedom compared to the other fleets,” Dorail said. “Military and Science members are often sent to a post. Explorers just have to search for new systems. They can pick their ships and their companions, if any.”

“Do you still want to join the fleet and travel with me?” Artemis asked.

Elias nodded.

“Welcome to the IEFL Cadet Elias,” Dorail smiled. “It is protocol for a lower ranking member of the fleet to salute the higher ranks.”

Elias stared at the Xanar, then put his fist over his heart.

The officers chuckled.

“Captain Artemis, make sure you teach him how to salute properly,” Eitara smiled.

“Yes, Seeker.”

“Oh, and one more thing. A call came for you. From the Artegos. You and Elias are invited to a dinner at their mansion tonight,” the Faro said.

Artemis smiled.

“Good, Reinard must have arrived safely. Thank you for seeing us, Commanders, Seeker,” Artemis saluted the three.

Dorail pulled the translator chip out of his bracelet, handing it back to Artemis.

“Dismissed.”

 

Reinard rolled over in his bed, unable to sleep. The bed was too comfortable and the room was too full of memories. Segal tucking him in at night, Mara reading to him before bed…

The Faro let his body melt into his quadruped form, curling up on his pillow. It didn’t help at all.

Glancing at the clock beside the bed, Reinard huffed. It was early morning, and his Mara would be up soon, to take him shopping. The Faro hadn’t slept properly in almost three days, and he was exhausted. But sleep would not come.

His door opened softly, and Reinard looked up, seeing Neistar nearing his bed.

“I figured you wouldn’t be asleep,” his ardai said quietly.

Body melting back into his biped form, Reinard sighed.

“I don’t know what’s wrong. This doesn’t feel like my room. I don’t have a room,” he said.

“Maybe you should go sleep on the couch,” Neistar chuckled.

Reinard looked at him thoughtfully.

“Come on Reiny, it was a joke. This is your home.”

Neistar climbed into the bed beside Reinard, pushing his ardai flat.

“Give it time,” he said, laying next to the sandy fox. “You were away for a long time.”

“Everything just seems… too much. I mean, these sheets, I would have killed for sheets even half this soft.”

The Faro sighed, lifting Neistar’s arm off his chest.

“This isn’t working. I’m going for a walk.”

 

“Good morning, what can I help you with Captain?”

Artemis rested a hand on Elias’ shoulder.

“My ward just tested into the IEFL,” he smiled.

The Faro mirrored his smile, looking at Elias.

“Congratulations Cadet! You are here for your bracelet then?”

Elias nodded.

“Well, let’s get you fitted. Are you right or left-handed?”

Elias looked at the man in confusion.

“He’s left-handed,” Artemis said.

“Okay. Can I see your right hand please?”

The neko held out his wrist and the Faro scanned it with a stick.

“The band needs to touch the skin all around, but still be comfortable,” he said, typing on a device.

A machine whirred to life in the back of the room, the Faro continuing to type. He stepped away from the device, picking up a thick black band from the machine, and returned to Elias.

“Can I see your arm again?”

Silently the neko stuck his right hand out, and the Faro wrapped the band around his wrist.

“How does it feel?”

The neko shrugged.

“You need to be comfortable with it Elias,” Artemis said. “You’ll be wearing it for a while.”

The neko frowned at the band.

“Lower,” he whispered.

“It needs to be lower,” Artemis translated from Elias’ language.

“Let me know when it’s right,” the Faro said, moving the band closer to Elias’ hand.

“Now.”

The fox stopped, marking the band, and removed it from the neko’s wrist. He set it back into the machine, and returned to his device, correcting the measurements.

A minute later he returned with the band, placing it around Elias’ wrist once more.

“How is it now?”

Elias nodded.

“I think it’s good,” Artemis smiled.

“Perfect.”

Taking the band again, the Faro ran it through the machine one more time. This time, when he returned, he wrapped the band around Elias’ wrist and held it there.

“I need your finger,” he said to the neko.

Elias stared at the Faro, trying to pull his hand away.

“He’s not going to remove your finger,” Artemis chuckled. “It’s to keep the bracelet from falling off.”

Frowning, Elias hesitantly held out his thumb. The Faro guided his hand toward the band, pressing Elias’ thumb against the material. There was a soft click, and when he removed his hand, the bracelet remained on the neko’s wrist.

Elias bent his hand around, studying his new jewelry. It hugged his skin, an alien feeling on his wrist.

“If you ever need to take it off, the only way to do it is by placing your thumb right here,” the Faro said, pointing out a small grey spot on the bracelet. “Congratulations again Cadet.”

 

Reinard turned the silver card over in his hands, his name stamped on it in neat block letters. He was officially a citizen of the Alliance, his name and fingerprints on file with the planet’s new government.

“A lot has changed,” his Mara sighed, walking beside him. “Our clan ruled this world not more than six years ago. Now aliens have taken over, yet we have never been better off.”

Reinard wasn’t sure about that. He had been young when he was taken, unfamiliar with the workings of the government.

He yawned widely, nearly walking into a pole.

“Are you okay Reinard?”

“I’m just tired,” the Faro muttered, rubbing his eyes.

His Mara nodded.

“We’ll make this quick then so you have a chance to nap before supper.”

They entered a store, Reinard standing to have his measurements taken. Ten minutes later, they were back outside, Reinard carrying a couple of bags of clothing. His Mara had just spent close to five hundred credits on clothing alone. For him.

He didn’t know if he could handle this. Sure, every person dreamed of having nice things, but his clan could literally buy the town if they wanted. It was too much.

“Mara, I don’t know if I can stay,” he said as the two sat in a waiting car.

The driver took off at a command, and Reinard’s Mara turned back to his kit.

“What’s wrong? This is your home Reinard; you can always stay here.”

“I know.”

Reinard looked down at his hands, at the silver currency card he still flipped in his hands.

“It just… Everything here is so strange. I feel like I don’t know this world. I don’t know where I fit in.”

“Well, what do you want to do? You are an adult now. Even if your kit years were stolen from you, you are responsible for yourself. I can’t decide what you should do and I can’t tell you where to go.”

“But where would I go? I’m stuck again, trapped on a strange world. I don’t even remember my native language.”

“Maybe I could pull some strings and get you a job on the Dalmar world,” his Mara suggested.

Reinard recoiled.

“I don’t want to see that planet ever again,” he said.

The car pulled up to the Artego mansion, and the Faro placed a hand on Reinard’s knee.

“Whatever you decide, you have my support. Just remember this will always be your home.”

 

Artemis held up a chip.

“This is a chip,” he said. “There are many different kinds of chips, each specialized for a different purpose. This one, for example, will translate your words to Common. Normally I would have to speak in it for a day so it understood my speech. However, this chip is for your language, and it’s already got your language in it.”

Elias looked at the chip with interest.

“Now that you have a bracelet, you can use the chip yourself. It goes in this spot right here.”

Artemis set the chip into the underside of Elias’ bracelet.

“There. Let’s get going. I’m not sure how long it will take to get there,” the tiger said, his fingers clasping Elias’.

Leading the neko away from the ship, Artemis hailed a car, opening the door for Elias. Elias crawled into the back seat, watching Artemis walk to the other side after closing the door.

The driver held out a block, asking, “Where do I take you?”

“The Artego residence,” Artemis replied.

“Two hundred credits.”

The number flashed on the block and Artemis swiped his card, paying the driver.

“Three hours,” the Faro added, the car moving.

Elias whimpered, his eyes widening as the car weaved through other vehicles.

“You’re okay Elias. It’s just like me flying, but on the ground,” Artemis said quietly, his hand on the neko’s arm.

The car rose into the air, Artemis feeling that familiar dropping of the stomach that came from flying.

“See?” he said, nudging Elias.

The neko squeezed his eyes shut, gripping Artemis’ hand. He sat like that for the entire trip.

 

Reinard felt jittery as he watched the cats step out of the cab. Some of it could be explained by the drink he’d downed not an hour earlier, but attributed most of it to seeing Artemis again, this time as relative equals.

He couldn’t explain the feeling of safety he got from the tiger. There was just something about Artemis that made Reinard trust him.

The Faro opened the gate as the cats approached, allowing them through.

“Welcome to my clan’s home,” he said a little nervously.

“Thank you for inviting us,” Artemis smiled warmly.

“Before we go inside, I have to ask you something…”

Reinard took a deep breath.

“I’m not doing well here. My clan’s happy to have me home and everything, but I feel weird living here. You said I was always welcome. Do you mind if I join you on your ship?”

“We’re a little pressed for space,” Artemis said. “But if Elias agrees, I’d be happy to have you onboard. You’d have to pull your weight though.”

“Of course,” Reinard agreed.

Elias whispered something, and a moment later a robotic voice said, “I like him.”

The neko looked horrified at the words, and Artemis laughed.

“The translator doesn’t whisper kitten,” he said, ruffling Elias’ hair. “Besides, you already told him he’s cute.”

Turning back to Reinard, he smiled.

“I think that’s a yes. But we need to get a new ship soon, especially if you’re going to join us.”

“I am happy to help with that in whatever way I can,” Reinard smiled in relief.

He led them up the drive to the mansion, holding open the door for them. His Mara was already waiting for them at the entrance.

“Hello. You must be Captain Artemis and Elias. I’m Ceirel, Reinard’s Mara. It is a pleasure to meet you,” he smiled, holding out a hand.

Artemis shook the Faro’s hand.

“The pleasure is all mine.”

Elias copied the handshake, though he remained silent.

“Forgive my ward. He does not like to speak,” Artemis added.

Ceirel waved it off.

“I wanted to thank you in person for bringing my kit back home to me,” he said. “We thought he was dead.”

“I am glad that he isn’t,” Artemis smiled, looking at Reinard.

The Faro’s stomach flipped at the smile.

‘Calm down. He’s just being friendly.’

“Mara, do you know where Neistar is?” he asked.

“Right here.”

Reinard’s ardai entered the room.

“Hi, I’m Neistar, Reinard’s ardai,” he said, shaking Artemis’ hand.

Reinard noticed Elias’ tail curling upward, the neko staring at Neistar. Neistar shook Elias’ hand, a small smile on his face.

“Dinner is ready,” he said.

“Well let’s not keep it waiting.”

 

Elias tugged on his bracelet as a black Faro set a plate in front of him. He fought his gaze, trying to avoid both Reinard and his… brother? The plate proved a good distraction, the food set neatly on it.

“You’re with the Exploration fleet Captain Artemis?” Ceirel asked, drawing Elias’ gaze back up.

“Actually, both Elias and I are in the fleet. He joined yesterday.”

“Oh, congratulations,” Reinard said to the neko.

Elias’ eyes met the Faro’s and he looked away quickly.

“Thanks…” he whispered, his ears flattening when his bracelet nearly yelled the word in Xanthian.

A glass cup was placed in front of him and the neko stared at it wide eyed. It stood on a thin leg, a circular base holding it up. The Faro must be master glass crafters to make a cup like this.

The black Faro poured a green liquid from a bottle into the glass, moving toward Artemis to fill the tiger’s glass.

“What are your plans Captain?”

Neistar’s voice drew Elias back to the conversation, the Faro looking at Artemis. Just looking at Neistar, Elias felt his body stir.

“At the moment, Elias and I are heading to my home world. There’s still quite a journey ahead of us, but long periods in the black with little to do are an occupational hazard,” the tiger smiled, his eyes flashing toward Reinard.

Elias lifted the glass cautiously to his lips, listening to the conversation. The liquid burned his throat like the beer had on the other planet.

“Do you not like the wine Elias?” Ceirel asked as the neko grimaced. “I know it can be a bit of an acquired taste.”

A sudden thought seemed to hit the Faro and he glanced at Artemis.

“He is old enough to drink alcohol, right?”

Artemis nodded.

“Alliance law says fifteen. I’m pretty sure he’s at least nineteen. He’s new to alcohol though.”

Already Elias could feel the fuzziness in his head from the drink. He grinned at Reinard. Such a pretty fox…

“Elias, eat some bread,” Artemis said, nudging the neko lightly.

Elias picked up a piece of food, taking a bite. It was sweet, moist, and he liked it. Taking another bite, the neko filled his mouth.

“How did you two meet?” Reinard asked. “Elias seems kind of like me.”

Artemis glanced at the neko.

“You could say that,” he said. “I rescued him from a shapeshifter on his planet.”

“Really?” Neistar said with interest. “Other species have alternate forms too?”

“Just the werewolves,” Elias said, swallowing. “Quarian said they have to shift at the full moon or they go insane.”

He felt warm inside. Swaying his head slightly, Elias giggled at the spinning sensation.

“I think that’s enough wine for you kitten,” Artemis whispered, taking Elias’ glass.

Reinard cleared his throat suddenly.

“Mara, Neistar, I have something I need to tell you,” he said.

Elias stared at the Faro, his tail rising in the air. He was so cute…

Something pinched his tail and the neko hissed quietly.

“Behave,” Artemis muttered.

Reinard continued talking uninterrupted.

“I’m leaving again. I talked with Artemis and Elias, and they have accepted me into their crew.”

“But you just got home!” Neistar protested.

“I don’t belong here Neistar,” Reinard said. “You and Mara will always be my clan, but this doesn’t feel like home.”

“I hope you'll visit occasionally,” Ceirel smiled thinly.

“When I can,” Reinard promised.

Ceirel turned to Artemis.

“At any rate, we haven’t properly thanked you for bringing Reinard home to us. Originally there was a 10,000 credit reward for information. However, if he is going with you, I believe our clan can do something better to thank you.”

“There’s no need. I was just helping someone in need,” Artemis denied.

“Please, it would make me feel better,” Ceirel pressed.

Artemis relented, without much of a fight Elias noted. He must need the money.

“Good, then it’s settled. Tomorrow we’ll go to the port and pick the three of you out a new ship.”

By popular demand, Reinard is joining Artemis and Elias on their journey. Hopefully Elias can figure out his feelings for the two.
Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 22
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Elias' harrowing experience during the test pulled the one person to him he knew he could trust, Artemis. The test ended up being ideal for them both. Elias can now be with Artemis on the ship.

Reinard has been gone too long and home doesn't seem like he belongs there. He has become accustomed to harder conditions. The taxi drivers on this planet are mercenary. You could almost pay for Reinard's new wardrobe with a roundtrip to the port.

Now that Reinard is joining the crew we have a menage a trois creeping up sometime in the future.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Elias needs to sort out his feelings for Reinard and Artemis or the three of them are going to have fun in the future.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Elias sure loosens up with just a little bit of alcohol.  I hope that does not lead him into trouble. Reinard's family are very nice.

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..