Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,776 Words
  • 2,223 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Neko's Tail - 34. Loss

This chapter deals with death. Reader discretion is advised.

Elias stared at the glass held in the circular metal. He was suspicious of the object the Faro held out to him. Both Scholar Sein and Reinard promised him the glasses would help him read, but he couldn’t help the unease that ran through him.

“Just try them.”

Iason’s voice startled the neko. He had almost forgotten the Egaro was there, tailing them wherever they went. He didn’t like looking at the tiger; it made him miss Artemis even more, and Elias found himself hoping Artemis would return soon.

Frowning, Elias took the glasses from the Scholar, flipping them over in his hands. He widened his eyes as the Faro had shown him, setting the metal frames in place before relaxing. The natural tension of his eyes held the glasses in place.

He felt like the glasses were going to fall if he looked the wrong way. Still, Scholar Sein said they would prevent the headaches he got from reading. The neko supposed it was a fair trade.

A frown appeared on Iason’s face, and the Egaro held his bracer to his mouth, whispering in it. A moment later, he stepped up to Reinard and Elias.

“We need to head back to your home Reinard. Artemis had some trouble on Oyhaf B2 and he’s on his way here. He should arrive with Captain Geiro and a few others in about four hours.”

‘Is he okay?’ Elias signed.

“Is he okay?” Reinard repeated.

“Yes, but Colonel Atharo was shot. They're out of the med pod and doing fine now though.”

Reinard faced Elias.

“Well, we needed to get home anyway. Neistar should be back tonight,” he said. “Scholar, thank you for your help.”

The Faro smiled.

“It was my pleasure Cadet. I am pleased to see you after all these years, and I am even more pleased your kites are developing well.”

Iason led Elias and Reinard out of the office, body tense. The attack on the others had driven home how serious this was, and he was not about to be taken by surprise.

Eigal was waiting for them, the Faro starting the car as they climbed in. They were only a half-hour drive from Reinard’s home, and Elias found himself anxious to get back to the fox’s domain. He felt safe there, untouchable.

Reinard’s hand fell over his own and the Faro smiled at him, the concern for Artemis bleeding through.

“He’s okay,” he whispered. “He’ll get here and I’ll let Mara know we have to leave again. I want to stay one more night though. I’m not leaving without saying goodbye to Neistar.”

Elias nodded.

‘I love you,’ he signed.

“I love you too,” Reinard sighed, resting his head against the cat’s arm.

 

They lay on the couch in the den together, Elias purring quietly under Reinard’s care. A gentle kiss was pressed into Elias’ lips, and the neko’s purring faltered slightly, before picking up in intensity.

The doorbell rang and both Elias and Reinard leapt off the couch. Iason stopped them with a raised hand, hurrying to the door as Ceirel entered the room.

“What’s going on?” the Faro asked, wiping his hands on a towel.

“We’re not sure,” Reinard shrugged. “Hopefully it’s Artemis.”

They heard the door open and a few moments later, Captain Geiro entered the room, Artemis following closely. Iason brought up the rear, tucking a gun into his pants.

Elias hurried toward Artemis, his arms wrapping around the tiger.

“Hey kitten,” Artemis breathed warily. “Did you miss me?”

The neko nodded as Reinard joined the two, adding his own arms to the embrace.

“I’m glad you’re safe,” the Faro said, his head pressed into the tiger’s waist.

“Me too,” Artemis sighed.

The Egaro turned to Ceirel.

“Sir, I’m truly sorry to impose like this. I promise we will be gone as soon as possible-”

“Captain Artemis, I will not allow my kit to travel while he is carrying kites of his own. You will stay here until Reinard gives birth,” Ceirel said. “Hopefully by then, he will see the folly of taking young kites into space.”

The Faro frowned at Reinard, who stared back at his Mara steadily.

“I will not leave Elias, and I am not going to put him in the position of choosing between his career and myself,” Reinard said.

“There will be time enough to argue about this later,” Ceirel said.

He looked at Geiro.

“Forgive me Captain, but I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure of making your acquaintance.”

“Captain Geiro of the IMFL. I’m here to protect Artemis, and by extension, his charges,” Geiro said.

Ceirel’s eyebrow raised.

“Just you and Lieutenant Iason?”

“Originally we thought that would be enough, however, given recent events, I have five Xanar patrolling the grounds. I hope this will not cause you any undue stress.”

“Of course not Captain. I am grateful for the protection,” Ceirel smiled. “If there is anything I can do to make your job easier, please let me know.”

Geiro nodded.

“Artemis, can I talk to you in private?” Reinard requested.

The Egaro frowned but nodded. He followed Reinard out of the room.

“I don’t want to be here very long, regardless of what my Mara says. How far are we from your home?”

Artemis thought briefly.

“I think we’re about two hundred lightyears out,” he said. “If everything goes right, we could make it to my planet in around a week and a half, accounting for refuels and water runs. But as far as I know, there haven’t been any Faro on my planet yet. The doctors there likely won’t know how to help you.”

“I should be okay,” Reinard said. “Another thing, you know Elias saw you and Iason, right?”

Artemis nodded, sighing.

“Well, he’s confused about it. Given his past, I think you should explain some things to him.”

“I don’t want to push him,” Artemis said.

“I don’t think you will be. I doubt he will ask you himself.”

The Egaro nodded again. It was true.

“Okay, I’ll try to talk to him tonight.”

Reinard smiled, touching the tiger’s arm.

“We’re in this for him, you know? United in protecting Elias.”

Artemis echoed Reinard’s smile. He appreciated the Faro’s help.

 

Elias sat on the bed next to Artemis, the Egaro’s presence comforting the neko. They knew Iason was outside the door, guarding them, but Artemis tried not to think about that.

“I like your glasses,” Artemis smiled.

Elias pulled the glasses away from his eyes. staring at them.

“My eyes feel weird,” he said.

“Weird how?”

Elias shrugged. He wasn’t really sure; he just knew there was a difference between having the glasses on and taking them off.

The neko sighed, his hand brushing Artemis’ hip. Their tails smacked each other, tangling, though they kept their bodies to themselves.

“Elias, you know neither Reinard nor I would do anything to hurt you, right?”

Elias nodded, gazing at the Egaro.

“You saw me and Iason, and I’m really sorry about that. But you also saw, I’m not a top. And I won’t do anything with you unless you start it. I don’t want to hurt you.”

He understood. And he was grateful Artemis was letting him take things at his own pace. The neko leaned up, his mouth seeking out Artemis’. They kissed, and Elias lay back beside the tiger, letting Artemis’ strong body spoon him and keep him safe.

 

Reinard smiled at Neistar as his ardai was escorted into the house.

“It’s about time we got some protection,” the Faro was saying to Geiro.

He spotted Reinard waiting for him, and his own face broke into a smile. Rushing toward the Faro, Neistar threw his arms around his ardai.

“Hey, I thought you’d be back a few days ago,” he said.

Reinard frowned at Neistar’s words.

“Why?”

“I heard about Artemis. I know you were close to him,” Neistar said.

“But he’s not-”

“Neistar,” Ceirel interrupted, stepping out of the kitchen. “How was your first day?”

“It was great,” Neistar smiled. “I was just finding my way around, but I think I’m going to like this.”

Reinard heard someone clear their throat quietly. Turning, he saw Iason leading Elias and Artemis into the room.

“Hey Neistar,” Artemis smiled at the Faro.

Neistar’s eyes widened.

“You’re alive?” he hissed.

The Faro’s arm moved lightning fast, a gun appearing in his hand.

“Neistar!” Reinard yelped as the room exploded into action.

He threw himself at his ardai, grabbing the weapon. They struggled for control of the gun, Reinard seeing both Iason and Geiro circling in search of an opening.

“What are you doing?!” Neistar snapped. “He is a danger to our people!”

“Let go!”

There was a thump and Reinard’s chest exploded in agony. He desperately held onto the gun even as he dropped. Blood flowed freely from the spike in his body, and the world dimmed around him.

 

Elias screamed as Reinard dropped, lunging for the Faro. He pulled Reinard away from Neistar, the other Faro standing with a stunned look as Geiro tackled him.

Reinard gasped for air, his eyes unfocused. There was so much blood, and Elias was terrified for the Faro.

“Elias… Elias please… I don’t want to die…” Reinard rattled, struggling to draw breath.

Artemis’ arms wrapped around the two, shielding them from further harm.

“Ceirel! We need a med pod now!” he yelled.

The older Faro stared numbly as his world shattered before him.

“Ceirel!”

Elias tuned out the world around him, his eyes focused on Reinard. He gripped the Faro’s hand, begging him silently to hold on. He was going to make it, he had to make it. Elias couldn’t go on without Reinard.

He felt the hand twitch as Reinard sucked in another breath, blood oozing from his chest. The Faro’s eyes latched onto Elias, and his hand squeezed weakly.

Reinard’s eyes darkened as his hand fell slack in Elias’. The neko wailed as the life fled from Reinard.

“No! Reinard!” he screamed.

His hands moved over the Faro’s body, gripping the spike still lodged in Reinard’s chest. He wrenched it out and a tremor shook Reinard. Blood splattered across the neko as he fell back, clutching the object that had taken his love from him.

Reinard twitched again, Elias grabbing his hand. He was still alive, the neko was sure of it. They could still save him. Artemis could do anything.

The Egaro’s arms closed around Elias, lifting him off the ground

“Let me go!” the neko screamed as he was pulled away from the Faro. “Reinard!”

“He’s gone, Elias…” Artemis said in his ear. “He’s gone…”

It is going to take me a while to get past this chapter. The death of a character is something that hits me rather hard, even with months to prepare in advance. I promise I will return as soon as I am able.
Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 22
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Death coming for Reinard from the most unlikely source. Ceiral loses two offspring and the kites in one stroke. Neistar has been keeping bad company.

After all Elias has been through, now he must endure this unspeakable pain.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

What about the kits? Are they viable? How long is the gestation? How long has it been in story? Omg :o is it one or three lives gone? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow what a chapter. Poly Elias after all he has been through now he must suffer the death of Reinard. Are the kits dead as well? Ceiral losing offspring, is going to hit her just as hard.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

I am just speechless! I'm going to need a minute...

Yeah, writing this chapter was really hard for me, and even two years later it still makes me cry rereading it.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

Yeah, writing this chapter was really hard for me, and even two years later it still makes me cry rereading it.

I havent had to make this traumatic move yet in my stories. I'm not looking forward to it...

  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

I havent had to make this traumatic move yet in my stories. I'm not looking forward to it...

I would say it gets easier, but if you do your job right, it will never be easy.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

euphemia li britannia shirley GIF
I knew it would happen. I just didn’t know where, when and how. The knowledge didn’t help at all. 
 

I bow to your mastery though. 
 

I really hope you keep your promise @Yeoldebard 🙏

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, IkeNeko said:

euphemia li britannia shirley GIF
I knew it would happen. I just didn’t know where, when and how. The knowledge didn’t help at all. 
 

I bow to your mastery though. 
 

I really hope you keep your promise @Yeoldebard 🙏

One of these days I will manage to keep a Faro alive. But apparently not today.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

One of these days I will manage to keep a Faro alive. But apparently not today.

I still have a screenshot of your promise. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Ouch. That... hurt.

Damn, haven't cried reading a story for years, it's happened twice now since I found this site. Still loving the story but... ouch.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, AlreadyForgiven said:

Ouch. That... hurt.

Damn, haven't cried reading a story for years, it's happened twice now since I found this site. Still loving the story but... ouch.

Yeah. There are scenes I have written for this site that still make me cry years later. This is one of those scenes.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..