Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,040 Words
  • 2,184 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Neko's Tail - 37. Scholar Aegle

Elias lay silently next to Artemis, his mind working through the day’s events. It was late night time, but he wasn’t tired, not any more than he usually was.

Artemis’ house was a mess, and slowly Elias realized he needed to clean it. It made sense; why else would Artemis steal him away from his planet and drag him through the universe?

A nagging voice in the back of his head insisted Elias had it wrong, but he ignored it. Carefully climbing out of the small bed, the neko crept out of the room, his eyes easily piercing the night gloom. He found a broom tucked away in a closet and set about sweeping the dust off the floor.

As he swept, Elias began to feel better. He knew how to do this. The motions of moving a broom were the same whether he was on one planet or another. He moved from room to room, sweeping the dirt into large piles that he left out of the way. He would ask Artemis where he should put them later.

There was a room Artemis had pushed him past earlier, telling him he shouldn’t go in there. Elias wasn’t sure why, but he figured now would be a good time to explore, while the tiger slept.

The door opened soundlessly, revealing a winding staircase leading below the house. No light shone beyond the first three steps, and Elias hesitated. His hand felt along the inner wall, where the button that controlled lights always seemed to be kept. He found it after a moment’s search and closed his eyes before flipping the lights on.

Light bled through his eyelids and the neko winced. He waited a few moments until the light was more bearable after the darkness of the house. His eyes opened and the neko took a cautious step, beginning his descent below the house.

It was a long walk, taking him nearly five minutes to reach the bottom of the stairs. At one point the spiral straightened, and Elias got the sense he wasn’t below the house any more, more to the side. The air steadily became damper and cooler, and again Elias hesitated.

He shrugged; he had come too far now to not see what was at the end of the stairs. Everything was deathly silent as he reached the bottom, standing on the last stair. The neko peered into the large room beyond him, goosebumps crawling up his skin as he realised the floor wasn’t there.

Waves lapped gently across the ground, the light on the ceiling of the room doing little to drive away the darkness of the water surrounding the room.

“Elias?”

The neko yelped, nearly falling into the water as he spun on the step.

“Whoa, easy there…”

Artemis gripped Elias’ arm, holding the cat firmly until he regained his balance.

“What are you doing down here?”

Elias flinched at the tiger’s words and Artemis frowned.

“You’re okay,” he said gently. “I didn’t want you down here because of the water. Ask next time, okay?”

Elias nodded quickly and they began walking back upstairs.

 

Artemis dumped the pile of dirt into the recycler, setting the broom back in the closet. Elias sat at the table in the kitchen, watching the tiger work.

“Thanks for sweeping,” Artemis yawned. “Do you think we can get some sleep? I have a lot to do tomorrow.”

Elias nodded silently and they made their way back to the bedroom. Artemis worried about the neko. He almost fell into the ocean and the tiger doubted he knew how to swim. That was one more thing he would have to help Elias with.

Laying beside Elias, Artemis touched the neko’s hand, unsure if Elias wanted him to touch him. Elias rolled away from Artemis, laying on his side. Artemis let out a quiet sigh, his eyes closing.

This was supposed to be the start of something new for both of them. Instead, Artemis just felt lost. He was afraid to touch Elias, though he did so anyway, and he had no idea what to do to help either of them, other than to talk to someone else.

Tomorrow. He’d try to find a mind healer tomorrow. It shouldn’t be too hard.

The neko’s foot brushed against Artemis’ ankle, sending shocks through his body. The tiger tried not to read too much into the touch. He was just happy they were touching.

 

Elias stared out the window at the cloud-filled skies, rain pouring into the ocean around the island. He was surrounded by water.

“We have to buy a boat tomorrow, for personal use. Do you want to come with me?” Artemis said, looking up from Elias’ tablet.

The neko shrugged. He didn’t really want to go out on the water again, but if that’s what the tiger wanted, he would go with him.

Artemis handed his tablet back, a new button on the screen.

“I want you to start learning about Egaro culture,” he said. “That will help you; we use it to teach immigrants. It’s not so much to make you more like an Egaro, it’s more to help you cope with things you might see on the planet.”

The tiger grabbed his own tablet, sitting on a couch across the room. Shrugging, Elias opened the new program, a loud noise coming from the tablet. He nearly dropped the device, trying to figure out how to shut the noise off. He found the button, relaxing slightly as the volume lessened.

An Egaro appeared on the screen, introducing himself as Scholar Hermes.

“Welcome to our planet. Your planet too now. It may seem strange, building our homes on water, but in time it will seem less strange.

“Egara is one of two worlds populated by Egaro. The sister world of Gaia is home to many of us as well. Egaro are very social beings. We reach adulthood around fourteen years of age, the time of our first heat. Despite our sexual natures, consent is paramount in our culture. An Egaro learns restraint early in their adult life, and even sooner than that. No means no, even when in heat.

“We are an emotional species, not afraid to show how we truly feel. If one of us is hurting, we understand that relieving that pain is not a sign of weakness, merely a normal function of a sentient being. Because of this, Egaro form attachments easily, often taking many friends and even many lovers at once.”

A hand fell on Elias’ shoulder, startling the neko. He twisted, Artemis backing up a bit behind him.

“Sorry. We have to be somewhere in an hour and it will take some time to walk there,” the tiger said.

Elias looked back at the tablet, the video playing on. Artemis gently reached over the neko’s shoulder, showing him how to pause the video.

“If you want to keep listening, I think I have some headphones somewhere,” he said.

Elias shook his head.

“Well, bring your tablet anyway. You might need it,” Artemis continued. “And don’t forget your card and your translator.”

Elias went into the bedroom, tensing as he left Artemis. He grabbed the bag he had used to bring his things from the ship.

“Oh, you don’t need that,” Artemis said from the door.

He reached over and pulled at the side of Elias’ pants. The neko hissed in shock, pulling away. As he did so, he noticed the fabric of his pants pulling away.

“You have pockets,” Artemis said. “I’m sorry, I thought you knew about them already. Your tablet should fit in them so it doesn’t get wet.”

Elias tried pushing the tablet into the pocket, surprised when it slid in easily. He found another pocket on the other side of his pants and put his card and block in there.

Artemis held out the poncho from the day before and Elias slid it on, covering himself in the yellow water-resistant clothing.

“Are you ready?”

The neko nodded. He was ready to deal with the water.

 

Artemis kept his ears down as they walked through the rain. He liked water as much as the next Egaro, but when it was pouring onto his face, there was only so much he could enjoy. At least it was a warm summer storm.

He had the directions to the office memorized, not wanting to take out his tablet to check. They needed to do this, rain or no rain, but the tiger wished it was a no rain day. Beside him, Elias kept flinching at the sound of the water hitting his clothing. Artemis placed his hand on the neko’s shoulder soothingly, and they forged ahead, crossing another bridge.

A boat buzzed under the bridge, the spray from the engines hitting Artemis in the side. The Egaro gritted his teeth, picking up his pace. Still, it seemed to take forever for them to reach their destination, soaking wet.

The tiger pointed Elias toward an empty room as soon as they stepped into the building. When they entered the room, the water was vaporized instantly from their skin, leaving the two with a slightly warm feeling. Elias shook his head slowly and Artemis rubbed his head.

“It’s okay kitten, you’re going to see a lot of new things.”

They left the room, Elias crawling out of his poncho. Artemis approached an Egaro at a counter.

“Hi, we’re here to see Scholar Aegle,” Artemis said.

The Egaro scanned her computer.

“Ah, Artemis and Elias?” she asked.

“That’s us.”

“Great. She is finishing with another appointment and will be with you shortly.”

“Thank you,” Artemis said, turning away.

A row of chairs sat against the wall and the tiger led Elias to them. They sat together, Elias taking out his tablet. Artemis glanced over at the neko, tracing his name on the screen.

“I’m proud of you kitten,” he said quietly. “Many people would struggle to learn what you have in the past three months.”

Elias’ tail flicked, but he remained focused on what he was doing. The letters were shaky, but he was learning.

A door opened, and two Egaro walked out, one wearing the white necklace of a Scholar.

“I’ll see you again next week,” she smiled at the other tiger.

The cat grunted, hurrying out of the office. Scholar Aegle turned to face Artemis and Elias.

“Good afternoon,” she smiled again. “You must be Artemis, and you’re Elias, right?”

Elias nodded as Artemis said, “That’s us.”

“Wonderful. Why don’t we step into my office and see what I can help you with?”

The two entered the room, Artemis and Elias sitting side by side on a couch as Aegle sat in a chair. There was a moment of awkward silence as the two parties sized each other up.

“So, what brings you here today?” Aegle asked, sitting back in her chair.

“Elias does. I know that I have a few issues I need to work through, but I want to help him first,” Artemis said.

Elias stared at Artemis, no doubt wondering what he had done wrong.

“You’re okay kitten,” Artemis reassured him, taking the neko’s hand.

Elias let himself be held. Artemis could practically see the cat’s mind working away.

“I see. Did you not know about this meeting Elias?”

The neko shook his head.

“I know you’re not from here. Do you know who I am?”

Elias shrugged.

“My name is Scholar Aegle. I am a mind healer. I notice you aren’t much of a talker. Would you like to communicate another way? We can sign, or I can get you a pen and some paper.”

Elias’ hands moved a moment later.

‘I can sign.’

Aegle smiled.

“Good. We have to communicate if I’m going to help you,” she said, her hands also signing. “Artemis, if this session is for Elias, I’m not certain you should be here. You might complicate things.”

Artemis nodded. He understood and had been expecting the dismissal. But he still came in, wanting to make sure Elias was okay.

“I’ll head outside then,” he said, standing.

Elias grabbed his wrist suddenly, the neko staring at him with wide eyes.

“I’m just going to be in the waiting room. I’ll see you when you’re done in here,” Artemis said gently, ruffling the neko’s hair.

He pulled away and left the room, letting out a sigh as the door closed behind him. He hoped he was doing the right thing.

 

Elias stared at the door Artemis had vanished through. The tiger had left him alone in here. Was this his punishment for going to the water room last night?

“He’s going to wait for you. Don’t worry,” Aegle said gently. “Now, Elias, do you know what a mind healer is?”

The neko shrugged again, looking back at the scholar. A strange plant was growing behind the Egaro, a strange, almost soothing, smell coming from the leaves.

“Healer isn’t really an accurate word. Really what I do is talk you through issues you have, and try to help you develop healthy coping mechanisms. For example, you are worried about Artemis, right?”

Elias nodded silently, his eyes flicking toward the door.

“You understand he can’t always be with you. You both have your own lives to live. Hopefully, I can help you get through your discomfort of being away from Artemis. It will take time though, and there are certain things you might not be ready for yet. We will take things at your own pace, but there will be many times I might make you uncomfortable. It is all to help you, and none of this will leave this room unless you give me permission.”

Aegle studied Elias silently for a moment.

“Can you tell me a little about yourself?” she asked.

Elias’ ears flattened as he looked at his lap. He had no idea where to start. Would she get upset if he told her the wrong thing? Was there a wrong thing to say?

“How about telling me how you met Artemis?”

The neko shivered, feeling ghostly teeth sinking into his flesh.

“He saved me from a werewolf,” he signed.

“Really?”

Aegle began writing on a pad, Elias staring at her.

“These are just notes. Sometimes it can help to organise our thoughts,” Aegle explained as she wrote. “So Artemis took you from your planet? I’m sure you must miss your home.”

Elias shrugged. There wasn’t much to miss.

“What did you do on your planet?”

He hesitated again.

“There’s no judgement here Elias,” Aegle said. “I’m just trying to figure out who you are.”

Reluctantly, Elias signed.

“I was a slave for an innkeeper.”

Aegle nodded slowly.

“Tell me Elias, did this innkeeper use your body?”

Elias nodded. His head was starting to hurt and he wished Aegle would stop asking so many questions, but that was her job.

“We’ll return to that at a later time, okay?”

Aegle crossed her legs, her tail curling into her lap.

“So Artemis really saved you from your planet. How long ago was this? By your reckoning.”

Elias shrugged.

“Three months,” he signed uncertainly.

“And in that time you learned Xanthian Sign Language? I’m impressed,” Aegle smiled.

Elias shrugged. There wasn’t much else to do on the ship.

“Don’t diminish your achievements. You did something that would take many people years to do. It is okay to be proud of what you have done.”

Elias shook his head. How could he be proud of his past as a slave? He still felt the hands on his body. He had even bitten Reinard…

“You seem to like Artemis. Is he a friend to you, or something more?”

The neko shrugged.

“It’s okay not to know. Just something to think about.”

They hit a lapse, Aegle studying Elias while the neko thought.

“Do you like Egara?” Aegle asked. “I know it can seem rather startling for newcomers.”

Elias shrugged again.

“It doesn’t matter if I like it,” he signed.

Aegle’s eyebrow rose.

“Really? And why is that?”

“Because I’m here and I don’t think we’re leaving anytime soon.”

“I see. Where do you want to be Elias? I assume Artemis would have asked you before taking you away from your planet. And it doesn’t sound like you were very happy there anyway.”

Again he shrugged. He really had no idea where he wanted to be, other than with Artemis.

“You are a very conflicted being,” Aegle noted.

“Your planet is very wet,” Elias signed.

“It is.”

“I don’t like water.”

“Does Artemis know?”

Shrug.

“Can you do something for me Elias? Can you tell Artemis that you don’t like the water?”

Elias frowned. He could do that. Artemis wouldn’t get upset at him for saying it. But at the same time, he couldn’t say it. He had no right to say it.

“If you can’t, that’s okay, but I think talking to Artemis would help you a lot. And who knows, maybe some day you’ll let me hear your voice.”

Aegle smiled at him.

“But one thing at a time, right? Let’s start small.”

She stood up suddenly.

“That’s all the time we have today. Do you think you can come back again next week?”

Shrug.

“I hope you can. Why don’t we get you back out to Artemis?”

Elias stood up as the tiger opened the door. He walked past her, his gaze sweeping the other room until his eyes settled on Artemis.

The tiger stood up as Elias hurried across the room toward him.

“Hey kitten, how’d it go?”

Elias stopped next to the tiger, soaking in his presence. Artemis’ hand rested on the neko’s head, sending that feeling of bliss through his body.

“I think it went well,” Aegle said. “It would be best for Elias to return next week if he wishes to.”

Artemis looked at the neko.

“Do you want to come back and talk with Scholar Aegle?”

Elias nodded slowly.

“You also expressed an interest in seeing me,” Aegle said to Artemis. “Do you still want to do that?”

“Yes please,” Artemis replied.

“Great. Sophia can schedule an appointment for you and for Elias. I will see both of you next week,” Aegle smiled.

Finally Elias is getting the help he needs. But what is that strange watery basement in Artemis' house. Is the Egaro hiding something?"
Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 19
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The session with Aegle would have been more productive if Artemis had given some background rather than her trying to drag everything from a silent neko. How does Aegle know Elias is capable of speech? There was nothing to indicate he is anything but mute.

This is all rather funny. Elias despises water and Artemis takes him to a water planet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..