Gender and sexuality - how do different cultures respond?

This is a very interesting blog on the culture of homosexuality within Native American tribes and their concept of gender variance - specifically, the idea of "two-spirit people". Sadly this widespread cultural acceptance and positive view of gender difference amongst native peoples has been affected by the malign effects of Christian influence but, encouragingly, there are signs that Native American tribes are returning to their traditional views on sexuality: As Joe Medicine Crow, a Crow traditionalist, told Walter Williams, “We don’t waste people the way white society does. Every person has their gift:

http://www.gay-art-history.org/gay-history/gay-customs/native-american-homosexuality/two-spirit-native-american-gay.html

• Like 2

I saw the movie Little Big Man when I was around 11 years ... there was a Heemaneh character named Little Horse (in the Pawnee tribe) the chief spoke about the human beings ... how everything is alive whereas the whiteman sees most things as dead

Skipping the comedy part ... I observed in the movies depiction of life with the native americans ... every tribe person finds their place in the tribe (which is contrary with the whiteman)

The Human Beings don't require

a boy to be a warrior...

...if he ain't got the temperament,
and Little Horse didn't.
If he wanted to stay
with the women,...
...that was all right
with the Human Beings.

It just so happens in my elementary school I knew a student that was like Little Horse ... yes there are times he was picked on ... but I dear say the movie at least taught me to treat him as a human being ... rather than making an enemy

Years later ... I was much older but still living in the same neighborhood ... I was talking with my two younger friends who was taking care of the Candy\News Paper store. In comes the person I haven't seen in years. He was wearing black leather jeans and wearing a female scarf. The hair style didn't change much ... I immediately recognized him because of the way he wiggled ... my two friends were quiet ... but the two of us recognized each other ... we chatted for a moment ... and at the end of our chat we wished each other well and hugged each other ... I can tell my two younger friends felt uncomfortable as well as surprised ... we never talked about it but I hope they learn you treat everyone like a human being even if they are socially different

Its hard in those early years ... the atmosphere of bullying in the gym locker room ... my two friends told me they took part in 6th grade ritual where they threw an india boy into the girls locker room ... I hope at the time being older ... they learn something different and grow out of their cruelty but I doubt the 6th grade ritual would ever change ... teachers tend to not be around to prevent it

I certainly like to hear more about how other tribes treat the Heemaneh

• Like 1

To me, the European/American View is that all things are to be conquered....

I could see this as comming from building civilizations and attempting to control and conquer those humans, animals, and the elements around them...

where as the more tribal societies, including the Native American Tribes see all things as being part of one and another....

where as they had to live with, alongside and through these other people.

:P i saw a couple of westerns where they had NA Gays in it, these were movies that depicted the Native American Side of that conflict I might add..

I remember reading about Mayan cultures grouping Gays in an area of their cities...but other then that I don't know much about that particular thing...

We've seen how Ancient Rome and Greece Saw sexuality....

And how ancient Hebrews, and the Christian and Muslim Successor religions saw it...

Not so sure about other cultures of the area around the Middle East Pre-christian period, or about how the Chinese saw it...

though i have read a few things about how the Japanese saw it :P

• Like 1

:P  i saw a couple of westerns where they had NA Gays in it, these were movies that depicted the Native American Side of that conflict I might add..

Which were these? :)

I realize I am new here but I just want to jump right in and say how much I enjoyed this article. I vaguely remember reading something about two-spirited people at some point in my past but I really fell into the depth of this. I grew up in the south and, having recently returned home, am starting to get the feeling that homophobia is bred into us down here.

I fear my culture is creating a legacy quite different from that of the Native Americans. Here, we have “down low” guys; guys who have wives, girlfriends or children as well as “secret” Craigslist profiles. I know a young man whose only ambition in love is to find a married guy that won’t dump him and I can only think of maybe 2 others in my age group that are out and proud (or “in the life” as the ones in the closet call it). I honestly can’t imagine what it must be like to have your tribe/family/neighbors not only accept you fully for who you are but to celebrate it as well. I lucked out that my immediate family has no problem with my sexuality or my fiancé but even getting to that point took some time.

• Like 3

I realize I am new here but I just want to jump right in and say how much I enjoyed this article.

Comments in your blog prompted me to find another example of how other cultures regard gender variance positively :)

Samoa

Fa'afafine are "a recognized and integral part of traditional Samoan culture ... born biologically male [who] embody both male and female gender traits ... Fa'afafine are known for their hard work and dedication to the family, in the Samoan tradition of tautua. Ideas of the family in Samoa and Polynesia are markedly different from Western constructions of family, and include all the members of a sa, or a communal family within the fa'amatai family systems ... This third gender is so well accepted in Samoan culture that most Samoans state that they have friendship relationships with at least one Fa'afafine. Traditionally Fa'afafine follow the training of a women's daily work in an Aiga " [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fa%27afafine].

A real life example is the Tuilagis, Samoan born England rugby players - the most masculine sport anywhere :P - whose brother Olotuli is fa'afafine and it's simply not an issue for the family or the Samoan community - "For centuries in the Pacific Islands, some of the men have been brought up to think of themselves as women and live a woman's life. In Samoa they are known as fa'afafine. "Olotuli is fa'afafine, he doesn't play rugby," Freddie Tuilagi explains. "He wears a dress and make-up and if he walks around Leicester every one looks at him, thinking, 'Is this a man or a woman?' In Samoa it's normal, there is no prejudice." [http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/meet-the-tuilagis--a-brotherhood-of-tigers-480031.html]

Gives me an excuse to post a pic of Manu Tuilagi showing off his tats :P

Manu-Tuilagi-England.jpg

• Like 1