Prompt #240 - Word List

Boring Saturday

"I'm dang bored, Cassie.  Let's go shopping and I'll let you buy me a present.  I saw a little gold ring with a pink fire opal that I love."  Jo Ann sat across the table from Cassie, half-ass working a crossword puzzle.

Cassie looked up from the Christmas ornament she was painting and said, "The only gold ring you're going to get from me is one for your nose so I can keep you out of trouble.  Don't look so innocent.  You know what I mean."

Jo Ann said a little softer.  "You have to admit that I've done a little better lately, Cass.  I haven't even tortured KC ."

"Hell, no.  You know you are in hot water for exchanging literature with the Jehovah Witnesses when they came by last week.  Told them if they would read your literature, you'd read theirs.  As soon as they saw the name of your new novel you handed them, they dropped it like it was on fire.  It is a wonder they didn't set it and our house on fire.  Latest Lessons in Lesbian Love!  You almost gave those folks a heart attack.  Even the mayor came by my office and asked me to talk to you about being a little nicer to them. I was so embarassed!"

Decidiing to change the subject, Jo Ann asked.  "Wonder where KC is anyway?  Let's see if he wants to go have a drink and catch up on all the gossip.  He knows all the good stuff."  Taking out her phone, Jo Ann dialed KC.

Hanging up her phone she looked over at Cassie and said, "Come on.  Mark said he just left work in a taxi and was headed to the bar on fifth for a drink.  HIs car broke down on him earlier today.  Let's go cheer him up."

"No crap today, Jo Ann.  I'm serious.  I know we have a lot of fun with KC, but he's like a skittish kitten when you're around."  Cassie got up and grabbed a jacket, heading to the door.

"Girl Scout's honor."

Cassie just rolled her eye at Jo Ann and motioned her out the door.

When they got to the bar, they parked out in front and started toward the bar, when they noticed a taxi sitting there, with two men in the back seat, half naked.  Curiousily, they got a little closer and said in unison. "Oh, my god!  What in the hell is he thinking?"

Jo Ann banged on the window of the cab.  "KC, get you damn clothes on before you get put in jail.'

The taxi driver had KC bent like a pretzel, and what as doing to KC would've caused anybody else to faint or die of a heart attack.  KC hurriedly pulled on his clothes as he pushed the now angry taxi driver from him.

"You owe me asshole!"  The taxi driver was pointing his finger in KC's face as he opened the back door of the taxi.

"What the hell does he mean KC?  What did you do?"  Jo Ann had KC by the arm, hoping no one else had seen the two men.

"I left my wallet in my car and didn't have money for fare, so I.......

"Don't even say it!  Just go inside, and we will pay the driver."  Jo Ann handed the driver a hundered bucks more than what he ask for, paying for the driver's discretion in the matter.

Jo Ann looked at Cassie and said, "See, I don't have to do anything.  KC gets into enough trouble by himself.  Now, let's go inside and torture the hell out of him."

Smirking, Cassie said.  "Sounds like a plan!"

• Like 3

Hmmm just the thought of being around Joane and KC gets addled, imagine leaving behind his wallet.  Though I have to admit it was working out pretty good for the taxi driver. I wanna know what town you live in that the Mayor stands up for the Witnesses.  That's a new one haha.

• Like 1

Jeff Mason and Marion Scott filed into Parliament Station's Bean Stalk. The big, spacious space elevator could easily move a hundred people from high orbit to the planets surface in a matter of twenty minutes. The waiting crowd was not very large and only about a quarter of the seats were taken.

A disembodied voice directed bored travelers to take their seats, secure their belongings and fasten their safety harness.

Jeff followed Marion to an empty row of seats, sat beside her and packed his bag in the compartment beneath the seat. Marion was doing the same. She looked around to see if they were being observed and pulled something out of her purse. 

She whispered, "Here take this and put it on."

Jeff took the gold ring and slipped it onto his left ring finger.

She pulled out an e-book reader, opened her newest novel and said, "Our cover is that of a young married couple and we have to sweat every detail."

Jeff asked, "I was thinking about picking up a present for the crew."

Marion looked up from her novel and said, "What?"

Jeff said, "We've got all the equipment necessary for a network feed. I thought I would buy a basic license so we can decrypt the entertainment channels."

She looked a little troubled but nodded.

The passengers in the car finally finished settling in and the big hatch closed. Mason felt his ears pop as the pod pressurized and suddenly he felt the sensation of falling as he watched in awe as the pod emerged from the tube at the bottom of the station.

The blackness of space was there despite the best efforts of Parliament's anemic primary star. The blue-gray mass of the planet Parliament spread out below them complete with sweeping weather fronts in the far North with blowing methane snow that sparkled on the horizon. Sirius was a large brilliant star that easily dominated the local star field.

Mason was glad that he had snapped the safety harness. There was no gravity and he knew that he would have been flat against the roof enduring the full rigors of 5 G's of acceleration.

Marion barely looked up from her e-book reader. She smiled at Mason's obvious enthusiasm for the experience. 

It took only a few minutes but the experience was amazing. Falling toward a planet at several kilometers per second on a space elevator was pretty heady stuff. 

With every kilometer, more of the planet was revealed. More shimmering lakes of methane, more ice flats, more hills, mountains and craters. Finally the gleaming domes of Parliament itself.

The city that was the administrative center of the Alliance first appeared like tiny bubbles reflecting sunlight in rainbow sparkles. As the pod got closer to the city, the domes multiplied and grew larger and the buildings underneath grew larger.

As the pod was on final approach to the city, the G-forces of the planets gravity and the pods deceleration made Mason's stomach object. He was glad that he had a margarita in the lounge on the space station. 

Before he was sure that all of his parts were in one place, the pod was coming to a stop. 

Marion said, "Welcome to Parliament Space Port." just before the automated voice. "Let's go. We've got to meet our contact."

Mason carried his small case and followed Marion to the Spaceports street level were a number of cabs were waiting. She picked one out and walked right to it.

The Taxi driver looked up from his e-book reader, munching on a pretzel and said, "Where are you kids headed?"

Marion replied, "I think we'll stay at the Hilton. No.. the Clairmont this time."

The grizzled old cabbie flipped the occupied sign on and said, "Hop in. It's your dime."

When Mason and Scott were inside the cab and moving, the cabbie said, "How are you doing Marion?"

She said, "I've been worse Tulley. You got our package?"

Tully said, "Yeah. They're in the trunk. One for both of you. Pick them up when we drop you off."

Marion said, "Good. Thanks."

Tulley paused and asked, "Are you going to need me for your extraction?"

Marion said, "We don't expect it to be hot. Couldn't hurt to have you on the side though."

Tulley nodded. He drove on quietly for a few minutes and pulled up at the Hotel Clairmont.

He dutifully got out, opened the trunk and handed the two agents their gear from the trunk. He handed Marion his card and said, "Give me a call if you need wheels. You kids have fun."

Edited by jamessavik

Like tbe science-fiction futuristic setting but with the touches of what would be normal for us.  The e-readers, margaritas and pretzels. it incorporated all the words but so seamlessly you never really noticed. Nice job