Prompt #452 - First Line

From Cadet Cruise

Part 1 of this loops back to here

“So, tell me all the details!”, Jerry gushed.

"It's ugly bro. Very ugly."

Jerry read his brothers grim mood and said, "It was a wildcat colony like you thought?"

Gary said, "Yeah. Welcome to beautiful New Zion. Population twenty thousand corpses."

Jerry said, "Oh Christ. They all died?"

"I got into the colony command center- their data core was still in tact. Every single faithful one of them. They were funded by the Ladder Day Saints. They wanted to establish- I don't know- Utah in space I guess. The Mormons sort of have a tradition of taking shitty places and taming them. They've just never tried to tame a place this wild. They weren't down an hour when they had their first death."

"They lasted almost four years. The colony log reads like a Greek tragedy. They were pinned on the peninsula by the bay. They built a minefield with smart triggers to keep the big stuff out. Once the critters got the taste and scent of their blood it was one long siege. Even now, almost a century later, the approaches to the colony are still dangerous. It is a field of bones and unexploded ordnance. We almost lost Charlie when one of their claymores went off. Thank God it was oriented in the opposite direction."

Jerry cursed softly and asked, "Why is it we are able to survive and they didn't?"

Gary smiled and said, "That one is easy. The colonists were fixed in position. They picked a spot- and a good one, and they had to make a stand there. We have been moving and moving fast. We dare not slow down or all the shit on this God awful planet will catch up with us."

"Did we get anything useful?"

Gary sighed and said, "Not really. There is one thing that bothered me. The colony beacon had been shut down."

"What do you mean, shut down?"

"It was turned off at the source. Someone else has been here. Everything worth looting has been looted. Whoever did it shut down the colony beacon."

Jerry huffed, "Pirates?"

"Pirates, raiders, opportunists, whatever. People we probably don't want to run into."

"Wonderful."

"Ain't it though? I reset the colony beacon. It's in standby mode. If it is interrogated with Alliance codes, it will broadcast our distress call. Otherwise, it will remain silent."

"OK. You're right. We need to get moving. No sense in waiting around for the critters to fix us in place and set an ambush."

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 1

I can't believe I've already written 39 chapters about Rob and Co. At least this time I managed a current first line prompt. As soon as I saw it, I knew this was Rob's line. :D

https://www.gayauthors.org/story/timothy-m/timothysterriblepromptstories/39

But no one has noticed I also used it here (although not as a first line). :lol:

https://www.gayauthors.org/story/timothy-m/timothysterriblepromptstories/38

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...