New chapter and yes, more sex. But I have a feeling this chapter is important...Even marquesate said so on the livejournal community.

Since this chapter is more of a wee one and a bit of an interlude before bigger things shall happen *cryptic* we thought we
I'm not very skeptical of Vadim's closeness with Hooch...but it does make me kind of uneasy because I had to keep reminding myself that Vadim is with Dan and that there is no way he could fall in love with someone else the way he loves Dan...Oh well

Well, have to admit it does make me wonder when you see Vadim struggle with the idea of Dan's "casual sex, no big deal". It also does seem like Vadim was more emotionally responsive to sex with Hooch than Dan has ever been with Jean (and that little moment of insecurity Dan showed reminding that as long as Vadim loves him... was a bit surprising). I'm not sure what to think about it, it's just something my intuition warns me about. However, we'll just have to wait and see. Perhaps it was just Vadim's moment of peace with a younger, not as scarred version of himself, letting himself trust another person without fear, getting in touch with his own past... Ah, I'm rambling.

By the way, did you notice this part?

"By the way, as for 'nice', there was a message for you." Dan barely hid the grin.

"Oh shit. Katya?"

Dan's hand in Vadim's back jerked, as if hit by electric voltage. He almost stopped dead in his tracks, but got himself under control. "No. The message read 'Fri 1900 - SH? H', pronouncing every letter and number.

I wonder if we are ever gonna hear from her again, remember what Dan did? That would be interesting. :blink:

Well, have to admit it does make me wonder when you see Vadim struggle with the idea of Dan's "casual sex, no big deal". It also does seem like Vadim was more emotionally responsive to sex with Hooch than Dan has ever been with Jean (and that little moment of insecurity Dan showed reminding that as long as Vadim loves him... was a bit surprising). I'm not sure what to think about it, it's just something my intuition warns me about. However, we'll just have to wait and see. Perhaps it was just Vadim's moment of peace with a younger, not as scarred version of himself, letting himself trust another person without fear, getting in touch with his own past... Ah, I'm rambling.

By the way, did you notice this part?

I wonder if we are ever gonna hear from her again, remember what Dan did? That would be interesting. :blink:

I took it that Vadim's time with Hooch did more to further banish the "demons" from his past, most notably the conflict he felt about leaving the USSR behind and his prison interrogation.

As for Katya... yes, something bad is going to happen to her and Dan and Vadim will settle on the farm in New Zealand and become family men. :lol:

Steve

I took it that Vadim's time with Hooch did more to further banish the "demons" from his past, most notably the conflict he felt about leaving the USSR behind and his prison interrogation.
Yeah suppose you're right. I guess it's just Vadim's personality that gives it a deeper feeling and makes me see more than there really is. I've always seen him so much more interesting than Dan.

As for Katya... yes, something bad is going to happen to her and Dan and Vadim will settle on the farm in New Zealand and become family men. :lol:

I thought she was really nice at first, she even hurt herself just so Vadim could leave her... So I was a bit mad when her character was entirely demonized and destroyed afterwards with the baby thing.

Yes I guess I could take Vadim's time with Hooch as banishing demons from the past. But I really think it goes deeper than that. Something happened there that might come up in the future. But thats all speculation.

"By the way, as for 'nice', there was a message for you." Dan barely hid the grin.

"Oh shit. Katya?"

Dan's hand in Vadim's back jerked, as if hit by electric voltage. He almost stopped dead in his tracks, but got himself under control. "No. The message read 'Fri 1900 - SH? H', pronouncing every letter and number.

I thought she was really nice at first, she even hurt herself just so Vadim could leave her... So I was a bit mad when her character was entirely demonized and destroyed afterwards with the baby thing.

I agree with Tazz. I really liked Katya, and for some reason I still kind of do. She is a flawed character, but which human being doesn't have flaws? Of course I was shocked when she did that with Dan, knowing what Dan meant to Vadim and vice versa. Pissed me off. But I still like her. But anything involving her is a unresolved issue and will come back to haunt Dan and Vadim.

Just as Vadim has had to confront the issues of self-worth, of his defecting and of falling in love with a SAS soldier, Dan still has to deal with issues he has of his "deal with the devil" Katya and accepting that he does enjoy sex that he previous declared that he doesn't "offer".

Maybe the the kids will provide a sense of purpose that both Dan and Vadim will need before they can happily accept moving onto "Veteran" status. As it stands now, I see them both realizing that they can't keep working as they have in the past for much longer but I get a sense that they both have doubts that they can successfully adapt to retirement on Dan's farm.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading Chapter 15 (Enemy Mine)...I think I'm gonna leave the story for a while and just relish in the wonderful emotions expressed by Dan and Vadim in this chapter. It was just...perfect. Too hard to describe in words. I'm left speechless and incredibly moved by it.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.marquesate.org/special-forces-mercenaries36.html

New chapter. I already cant wait for the next one. Hopefully then they'll show Dan's family.

This latest chapter though...it blew my mind. OMG the kinky sex. XD Its been a few days since I read it, but I do remember that I absolutely loved how Dan behaved/reacted to things in the chapter, both at the start and end. And Vadim is finally opening up to Dan :D

I didn't find AAFI chapter moved the story along too much but it did definitely make me look forward to the next chapter to meet Dan's family and how they'll react to his return after a very long absence and to having a male partner in tow.

I was also surprised to see that it was Vadim who had more issues with being open with Dan's family than Dan says he does. I think taking Vadim to meet Dan's family also has a great deal of unspoken meaning for both of them.

Steve

I didn't find AAFI chapter moved the story along too much

Me neither. Maybe I'm missing something important because it seemed like such a filler to me. I was just hoping for some normality because it's so rare that Dan and Vadim are in a different environment. I was so excited especially because it was Dan's home ground, so when it ended up in a kinky group sex I was just, you know, meh. :blink:

However maybe I'm just missing the bigger picture. I didn't concentrate on the latter part of the chapter too much (and it's been days since I read it).

I'm also looking forward to the meeting with Dan's family, and the possible conflicts that may rise. It fascinates me to see Vadim in an environment that is so alien to him. Well everything to do with Vadim continues to fascinate me period.

The chapter with Dan's family really made me respect Dan more than I had. I found the chapter at points intriguing and happy. It was nice to see both Dan and Vadim learn things about each other and themselves in the new chapter. I wonder if we'll see more of them on vacation or if we'll start the next chapter with them being back at the base.

Steve

The chapter with Dan's family really made me respect Dan more than I had. I found the chapter at points intriguing and happy. It was nice to see both Dan and Vadim learn things about each other and themselves in the new chapter. I wonder if we'll see more of them on vacation or if we'll start the next chapter with them being back at the base.

Steve

Don't forget Jean's wedding. I'm pretty sure the next chapter will have that in it ^^

Edited by canundra
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, the latest chapter is out and I was left with mixed feelings about the chapter. I liked Dan's choice for attire for Jean's wedding. I'm happy to see the story glossed over their weekend with the couple in Edinborough!

I think the visit with the doctor and his warnings to Vadim (which he artfully chose to ignore) means that there will be rough water ahead for Dan and Vadim. I've been wondering how the authors would fill up the time between the current chapter (1992) and the end of the Mercenaries book which the website shows as ending in 1994. I'm wondering if Vadim does have the problems that the doctor warned him about and there is a hiatus between the pare before we get into the Veterans book. They have to have something to fill up a third book and Dan and Vadim settling down in New Zealand could take up only a few chapters at best... even if Vadim and Dan deal with the ex-wife and Vadim's family in Russia.

Steve

• 1 month later...

New sub story arch got started in latest chapters. I wonder if book 3 will be a love triangle between Dan/Vadim/Hooch (though seriously, I doubt it xD). Hooch is fast becoming my favourite secondary character. I was surprised that Vadim just told Hooch everything though. Was quite unexpected for me xD

I'm glad Vadim is not that man anymore, though its obvious he can resurrect his old personality once in a while. I wonder what Dan is doing in the meantime. I wonder if he went to America to spend time with Matt :P

• 1 month later...

http://www.marquesate.org/special-forces-mercenaries45.html

No words for this chapter. Just...it chilled me to the bone and after reading it I just wanted to push it to the farthest part of my mind. Katya is being so insensitive. Sending Dan that pic at that point in time. Especially when she knew Dan and Vadim were going strong. And Vadim...just scared me in this chapter. Well I always knew he was a messed up bastard anyways. -_- Feel sorry for him though

The fun parts are over. Back to violence and angst. :P

I probably would have never found this story if not for the link in this forum. I likely wouldn't have read it. Military stories aren't really my "thing", usually. And, like everyone has said, this certainly isn't the sweet, wistful romantic kind of story that usually appeals to me.

But, holy !@#%.

So far I've only read the first cycle (and by "only" I mean I've read roughly a quarter of a million words in the space of 5 days or so). But from the first word to the last, this never stopped being gripping, thrilling, utterly screwed up, mind-bending, out there. Whoever posted that the biggest risk in reading this is that all other stories will pale in comparison was right. This just got inside my head and messed it up like very little has ever done before.

Every chapter has kept me reading late into the night. After every single chapter, I have the oddest feeling of needing a cigarette - and I don't smoke!

I'm going to take a much-needed breather before starting the second cycle, even though I'm dying to know what happens, because I'm not sure I can take any more angst in the next little while. I need time to process, and to get my head back into working order, before I can take another dose, I think.

This is definitely not for the faint-hearted... but it's easily the most powerful online story I have ever read. Period. And that's saying a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New chapter. And sex scenes. But I really didn't expect it for this chapter considering the conversation between Dan and Vadim in the last chapter...

Oh well still hot. And had fun having silly convo's in marquesate's live journal community xD

Chapter: http://www.marquesate.org/special-forces-mercenaries51.html

LJ community posts: http://community.livejournal.com/military_slash/36865.html

• 3 weeks later...

Brutal chapter. Just brutal. And the latest chapter brings about the end of the Mercenary cycle. Dan's knee finally giving out on him in that manner and being alone while Vadim's in the States. And the revelations that come out with that monogamy discussion...sigh.

Lots to look forward to for the Veteran's cycle!!!! <3

http://www.marquesate.org/special-forces-mercenaries53.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just want to say. This story is now complete. It was kind of marred by the way the the co-authors started fighting and how the last few chapters were released, but I personally am happy with the ending (though the first arc will always be my favourite).