MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC #31

Have you ever looked at a cute guy on a train, or at the mall, or in the movies....hell, maybe he stood next to you at the urinal...whatever! Hehehe! And thought yourself..."DAMN he's hot!"? I mean, everybody has their own tastes and preferences. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes. But sometimes...that standard gets a little 'pigeon-holed', don't ya think? I mean, seriously, there have been some times when I think, "I'm gonna smash this screen if I see just *ONE* more medium length, slim, blond haired, blue eyed, fair skinned, teenager!" It's become the standard, the poster boy for someone attractive. Where does this come from? Where are all of our brunettes and red heads? Where are our guys with a little hair on their bodies, or maybe a bit more muscular, or maybe a goth boy, or someone unpopular, or maybe with a bit more meat on their bones? Where are the different races, and cultures, and lifestyles? There are a billion preferences out there! So why use the same one over and over?

The question this week is...

=What defines the standard of beauty in these stories? Can it change? And do you feel that stories might be forcing an image of beauty on people reading?=

It seems as if anything outside of the above average cute blond teenager gets treated almost like a 'fetish' and seperated from the herd. How come? Is true beauty limited only to the people born this way? Is this kind of thing 'learned' by the rest of us, whether writing or reading it online? Is this a depiction of true beauty, or is this a brainwashed vision that we keep going strong without even knowing it? Have you ever considered those blond haired, blue eyed, teens were gorgeous....and asked yourself 'why'?

The board is open! Let me hear your thoughts! :)

I did atually mention about sex with a genuine ginger-haired lad. It was an actual personal experience, which I recounted in 'Rising Sap 2' I think. Does that count?

For some peculiar reason, ginger hair is not that popular with a lot of the female of the species where I live. Personally I have no such objections to a nice ginger lad witha a large...

Well I'm sure you get the idea.. :lmao:

You know i have had that happen with a really cute guy next to me and more then once the gen. public may think only slim and blond are hot. Not me i cant remember how many times i have seen a cute red head (my fav.) or a cute bear or some one that was real cute but could lose a few pounds.I think every one as there own idea what hot is but i also know that the avg. public has become self centered and only think what the media shows them what the media says is hot. I say **** the media and enjoy what you think is cute in your own mind and dont always make the lead char. in a story the best looking or give im the best body. Yeah it gives fant. but i want to read a real story once one where the lead char. has little things wrong like he has a little weight on him or black hair with blue eyes (ok so i think that is hot) you know someone that dont look like a god.

This is a very interesting topic. There have been a few stories that I read on the net that involve love with a handicap or deformed partner. I really enjoyed them a lot, I guess that I am just an old romantic at heart.

Today this thread really came to mind for me. I was in a public building and there was this handicaped young man there that was walking with two cructhes. And you could see by the hard time he was having, that he was very close to being parapelgic. He was having an awful time getting around, but was very independent and would not accept any help from anyone.

The thing that I found the most fasinating, was that I was highly attraced to this man. He was just there for a few minutes and was gone, he was surrounded with people and I did not even get a chance to say hi. The really crazy thing is that his physical type normally would not turn me on in the least. I can not even tell you what it was about him that attracted me.

I live in a small town so there is a good chance of us meeting again. I hope that it happens. I know nothing about him, weather he is gay or straight or don't give a damn. But I would really like to get to know this guy, and I don't have a clue as to why.

Guest jamieanderson

Beauty is like a contact lens; each is in the eye of the beholder.

What I find as breathtakingly beautiful, you might find to be very plain, and vice versa.

Mind you, I

Guest Whatsifsowhatsit

Hey that's what I thought of too! "Just Hit Send" :D you're right, VERY cool story

Of course, thinking about it, there were two characters in wheelchairs in that story, not just one.

Jamie mailed me and said he was going to have great difficulty in writing of Nick's passing, but he handled it beautifully.

In the same chapter, he wrote in a memorial to two real-life young lads, one of whom commited suicide because he couldn't handle being gay. (In the story it's the two boys strolling down the beach together along the water's edge.)

Jamie himself was trying to comfort the partner left behind, and with a lot of sympathy posts and mails from supporters he is now coping.

The point that came from all this is not one of "Differences", but where the characters are not 'blonde-haired, blue-eyed gods' they show more love toward each other than just casual sex aquaintances. Love is the keyword in most of these type stories of unusual characers. :D

• 5 years later...

I have never been as attracted to the blond-haired, blue-eyed types -- although I love blue eyes. I'm more into medium to dark hair color. Perhaps that fact that my own hair is brown influences this -- it's what I'm used to and comfortable with.

The young man in this

is just achingly cute and adorable. And he has brown hair and brown eyes. So it is in the eye of the beholder, I would say.

As a side note, I really don't care for the look of guys who have bleached their hair blond. I'd rather see the natural color.

A

Excellent topic.

I think the world is becoming too generic. Everything is standardized.

Big, solid, dark, HAIRY men are my favorite flavor but have become quite rare. Did all the hair suddenly fall off of them? There must be a great big clog is the drain at the department of public tends.

Women have been battling standardization for decades and it's not getting better. Rather than men helping, we're starting a battle of our own standardization war - stupid.

I cherish my chest hair! And my hairy legs still get mistaken for moss-covered tree stumps!

Proud member of Hairy Addicts Anonymous.

Hello, my name is Tipdin and I am hirsute.

I think people write about the kind of guy/or gal they would like for themselves

That's why my stories are full of long dark hair and green eyes, with athletic but not muscular bodies. I don't necessarily mention whether they are hairy or not (expect were it was necessary to mention he was not) so whoever is reading it can make up their own minds. In fact I try to keep physical description to a minimum anyway. I like the characters that I can build up in my own mind.

However you can be pretty sure that if he's a character in one of my stories he's going to have long hair wear make up and have a penchent for laced linen shirts and leather :)

Oh I would just like to point out that River from Enigma has dark red hair :)

Edited by Nephylim

Beauty is like a contact lens; each is in the eye of the beholder.

What I find as breathtakingly beautiful, you might find to be very plain, and vice versa.

Mind you, I've always liked my vice, versa.

Jamie.

Cool thoughts, Jamie.

(stay close to us)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..