[dkstories] Time travel could be possible ... in the future

• Site Administrator

There's a fundamental problem that would need to be solved first, though.

Stephen Hawkins is right. If time travel was possible, where are the time travellers? Why haven't they visited our time?

I remember reading a science fiction story where a character made the following observation:

"Do you have any idea how difficult it is to prove when the first time machine was invented?"

Stephen Hawkins is right. If time travel was possible, where are the time travellers? Why haven't they visited our time?

I remember reading a science fiction story where a character made the following observation:

"Do you have any idea how difficult it is to prove when the first time machine was invented?"

It is possible...maybe they are not really coming out and announcing that they are time travellers or maybe time travel is just a commercial thing there---you know sightseeing--to see how the past was like.

Very interesting article indeed. I have to say that I don't think his theory is a sound one though. If I understand the theory correctly, it basically says that you can use gravity to "pull" time back around it's self to create a loop. This possible because time is relevant to the speed in which you are traveling. For example: Travel through space for 50 years going the speed on light and return to earth. You will find that it has been far longer that 50 year since you left but in reality, millions of years. This would actually be time travel in it's self, but to the future. So what this guy is saying is we take gravity and slow it down. I personally can't think of anything source of gravity that would be strong enough to slow down time. The strongest gravitational pull in the universe comes from the super black holes that are in the center of every galaxy. Gravity so strong that it sucks in light. Who knows what they do to time. My point here is: if you use gravity strong enough to bend time, like a black hole, how do you contain it? How do you keep it from crushing you into oblivian.

This truly would be a project for the the future when we understand the cosmos better than we do now. Dan's idea seems more likely. Make a bubble out side space and time, and transmit data. Or travel faster than the speed light. Same idea as the gravity expect you go forward so far you end up looping back around. To bad faster than light travel is thought to be impossible. Seems like and easier route to take.

Interesting... What they seem to be saying is that, once created, the machine would allow people from the future to travel back in time, up to the point where the machine was created, but no further, as there would in effect need to be a machine at both ends of the temporal track.

The interesting implication here is that if such a device could work, it would mean that time travel to any time period was theoretically possible, though by other means.

This also touches on a fascinating point: What is the nature of time? What, exactly, is it? It's not such a simple question if you think about it.

Timeflow is indeed malleable; Even at comparatively slow speeds, such as orbital flight, an atomic clock can detect the time dilation effect resulting from relative velocity. The closer you get to the speed of light, the greater the effect becomes. At lightspeed, the timeflow is zero (which is one of the reasons it is, under current theory, impossible for an object to accelerate to lightspeed).

• 1 year later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunne...cal_calculation

Quantum Tunneling is pretty interesting concept and if Dan's Do-Over stories are ever possible, then it would be by this means. It is our only observed faster than light maneuver based on quantum particles and instantaneous transmission. If this can be proven, we might be able to send messages to the past; maybe brainwaves and the entire collection of thought.

Who's to say that they haven't visited our time? How would we even know they are here? Also, who's to say that the future even exists at this moment in time? If the future has not occurred on any plane of existence, then that could easily explain why. I don't believe that time travel will be doable any time soon. The other issue is what happens when events are changed? It could be disastrous. Then again, it could actually make things better...