Happy 60th Birthday!

BeaStKid

Celebrating 60 years of Freedom!!

indian_tricolor.jpg

Long years ago we made a tryst with destiny, and now the time comes when we shall redeem our pledge, not wholly or in full measure, but very substantially. At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom. A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new, when an age ends, and when the soul of a nation, long suppressed, finds utterance. It is fitting that at this solemn moment we take the pledge of dedication to the service of India and her people and to the still larger cause of humanity.

At the dawn of history India started on her unending quest, and trackless centuries are filled with her striving and the grandeur of her success and her failures. Through good and ill fortune alike she has never lost sight of that quest or forgotten the ideals which gave her strength. We end today a period of ill fortune and India discovers herself again. The achievement we celebrate today is but a step, an opening of opportunity, to the greater triumphs and achievements that await us. Are we brave enough and wise enough to grasp this opportunity and accept the challenge of the future?

Freedom and power bring responsibility. The responsibility rests upon this Assembly, a sovereign body representing the sovereign people of India. Before the birth of freedom we have endured all the pains of labour and our hearts are heavy with the memory of this sorrow. Some of those pains continue even now. Nevertheless, the past is over and it is the future that beckons to us now.

That future is not one of ease or resting but of incessant striving so that we may fulfil the pledges we have so often taken and the one we shall take today. The service of India means the service of the millions who suffer. It means the ending of poverty and ignorance and disease and inequality of opportunity. The ambition of the greatest man of our generation has been to wipe every tear from every eye. That may be beyond us, but as long as there are tears and suffering, so long our work will not be over.

And so we have to labour and to work, and work hard, to give reality to our dreams. Those dreams are for India, but they are also for the world, for all the nations and peoples are too closely knit together today for any one of them to imagine that it can live apart Peace has been said to be indivisible; so is freedom, so is prosperity now, and so also is disaster in this One World that can no longer be split into isolated fragments.

To the people of India, whose representatives we are, we make an appeal to join us with faith and confidence in this great adventure. This is no time for petty and destructive criticism, no time for ill-will or blaming others.

We have to build the noble mansion of free India where all her children may dwell. The appointed day has come-the day appointed by destiny-and India stands forth again, after long slumber and struggle, awake, vital, free and independent. The past clings on to us still in some measure and we have to do much before we redeem the pledges we have so often taken. Yet the turning-point is past, and history begins anew for us, the history which we shall live and act and others will write about.

It is a fateful moment for us in India, for all Asia and for the world. A new star rises, the star of freedom in the East, a new hope comes into being, a vision long cherished materializes. May the star never set and that hope never be betrayed! We rejoice in that freedom, even though clouds surround us, and many of our people are sorrowstricken and difficult problems encompass us. But freedom brings responsibilities and burdens and we have to face them in the spirit of a free and disciplined people.

On this day our first thoughts go to the architect of this freedom, the Father of our Nation [Gandhi], who, embodying the old spirit of India, held aloft the torch of freedom and lighted up the darkness that surrounded us. We have often been unworthy followers of his and have strayed from his message, but not only we but succeeding generations will remember this message and bear the imprint in their hearts of this great son of India, magnificent in his faith and strength and courage and humility. We shall never allow that torch of freedom to be blown out, however high the wind or stormy the tempest.

Our next thoughts must be of the unknown volunteers and soldiers of freedom who, without praise or reward, have served India even unto death. We think also of our brothers and sisters who have been cut off from us by political boundaries and who unhappily cannot share at present in the freedom that has come. They are of us and will remain of us whatever may happen, and we shall be sharers in their good [or] ill fortune alike.

The future beckons to us. Whither do we go and what shall be our endeavour? To bring freedom and opportunity to the common man, to the peasants and workers of India; to fight and end poverty and ignorance and disease; to build up a prosperous, democratic and progressive nation, and to create social, economic and political institutions which will ensure justice and fullness of life to every man and woman.

We have hard work ahead. There is no resting for any one of us till we redeem our pledge in full, till we make all the people of India what destiny intended them to be. We are citizens of a great country on the verge of bold advance, and we have to live up to that high standard. All of us, to whatever religion we may belong, are equally the children of India with equal rights, privileges and obligations. We cannot encourage communalism or narrow-mindedness, for no nation can be great whose people are narrow in thought or in action.

To the nations and peoples of the world we send greetings and pledge ourselves to cooperate with them in furthering peace, freedom and democracy. And to India, our much-loved motherland, the ancient, the eternal and the ever-new, we pay our reverent homage and we bind ourselves afresh to her service. Jai Hind.

--Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru

Indian_flag.jpg

Here's to the World's Largest Democracy.....

With Love and Regards

The BeaStKid

JAI HIND!!!

Here's to the World's Largest Democracy.....The BeaStKid

You are right, and it is a real Democracy.

Ieshwar said :

Wow! You seems to be really patrotic, BeaStKid. So unlike me...

Greetings from the Word's Eldest Democracy(Switzerland, 1291) and Congrats to you to be proud to belong to such a big and so quick developing country :worship:

I red in Wiki : "With an estimated population of 1.12 billion, India is the world's second most populous country and is expected to be the most populous by 2030". So it seems that India is really the World's Largest Democracy and will be soon the largest country (perhaps just after China :P ).

BTW, you are 16. Here in Switzerland, the young citizen, when they are 20, go for 4 months in a military school to learn how to defend our country and later go each year, till they are 35 in a so called "repetition course" for 3 weeks. How is it in India? Are you ready to fight and even to dye for your country ? 4 years pass very quickly :2hands: !

Wow! You seems to be really patrotic, BeaStKid. So unlike me... :P

Happy Independence Day!

Take care,

Ieshwar

You got that right there, mate!

You are right, and it is a real Democracy.

Ieshwar said :

Greetings from the Word's Eldest Democracy(Switzerland, 1291) and Congrats to you to be proud to belong to such a big and so quick developing country :worship:

I red in Wiki : "With an estimated population of 1.12 billion, India is the world's second most populous country and is expected to be the most populous by 2030". So it seems that India is really the World's Largest Democracy and will be soon the largest country (perhaps just after China :P ).

BTW, you are 16. Here in Switzerland, the young citizen, when they are 20, go for 4 months in a military school to learn how to defend our country and later go each year, till they are 35 in a so called "repetition course" for 3 weeks. How is it in India? Are you ready to fight and even to dye for your country ? 4 years pass very quickly :2hands: !

You guessed it right---I am a proud Indian.

Yep, India is poised to overtake China-- a fact that I'm not too proud of and the reasons are quite obvious.

As for the Army course, Indian youth doesn't need it. With the world's second largest army--> 2.5 million (1.3 million active and 1.2 million reserve) there is no need for those who don't want to fight to take up arms. Nevertheless, there are organisations like the National Cadet Corps which are voluntary.

The National Cadet Corps (India) is the Indian military cadet corps. It is open to school and college students on voluntary basis.

The National Cadet Corps in India is a voluntary organization which recruits cadets from high schools and colleges. The Cadets are given basic military training in small arms and parades. The officers and cadets have no liability for active military service. The motto of NCC is "Unity and Discipline".

As for your question---I am a man of peace and would never go to war. But if the situation arises where I have to fight in a war for my country, I would willingly lay down my life for my motherland!

The BeaStKid

I am a proud Indian. As for your question---I am a man of peace and would never go to war. But if the situation arises where I have to fight in a war for my country, I would willingly lay down my life for my motherland! The BeaStKid

:worship: You are right. In the last 150 years, my country staid in peace, mainly because the strength of our army, and I paid my part. As an officer in the Swiss air force, I spent till the age of 55 more than 1500 days of my time to serve, the last time as an intelligence agent. Our army is gayfriendly. I knew a lot of friends who made their first "experiences" during military periods :P .

Take care of yourself and stay in peace :D

I am a proud Indian. As for your question---I am a man of peace and would never go to war. But if the situation arises where I have to fight in a war for my country, I would willingly lay down my life for my motherland!

The BeaStKid

:worship:

I feel like it's not the thought of just one 16-year old Indian. With my knowledge about Indians, I'm sure every young guy (girls too) is willing sacrifice himself to protect his country. They don't only say but do it too. Infact, they did it 60 years ago. I know I'm not mistaken and can even cite names- Bhagat Singh, Azad....

But it's of course, the land of the well-known non-violence preacher Mahatma Gandhi!

Bless be thy land

Ieshwar

:worship:

I feel like it's not the thought of just one 16-year old Indian. With my knowledge about Indians, I'm sure every young guy (girls too) is willing sacrifice himself to protect his country. They don't only say but do it too. Infact, they did it 60 years ago. I know I'm not mistaken and can even cite names- Bhagat Singh, Azad....

But it's of course, the land of the well-known non-violence preacher Mahatma Gandhi!

Bless be thy land

Ieshwar

AMEN!!!

Congratulations. :worship:

It is great to hear people speak positively of their country.. I used to be able to do so of mine.

Pax Steve SV Gandalf in the Med. (the spanish boat next to me last night did thank me for giving the world GPS with my tax dollars I guess we do some good.. )

Congratulations. :worship:

It is great to hear people speak positively of their country.. I used to be able to do so of mine.

Pax Steve SV Gandalf in the Med. (the spanish boat next to me last night did thank me for giving the world GPS with my tax dollars I guess we do some good.. )

lol

Thanks...

Woah!! I really missed it :angry: I was in Delhi and was staying in a hotel room (as I didn't get a hostel yet) and had to stay inside the hotel and watch the entire I-day parade on TV (I didn't have a pass to go watch it LIVE). Man, I was in Delhi and I couldn't go and watch the parade!! F**k!!

And yeah, sorry for posting late. I didn't have a computer with me to access the net and the mobile servives are way too high (I was on roaming that time) :P

As for Beasty, I know he's one of the most patriotic guys I've ever come across. And in no ways, I come close to what he can/wishes to do for India :lol:

Its a good thing that you started this thread Beasty :wub:

Woah!! I really missed it :angry: I was in Delhi and was staying in a hotel room (as I didn't get a hostel yet) and had to stay inside the hotel and watch the entire I-day parade on TV (I didn't have a pass to go watch it LIVE). Man, I was in Delhi and I couldn't go and watch the parade!! F**k!!

And yeah, sorry for posting late. I didn't have a computer with me to access the net and the mobile servives are way too high (I was on roaming that time) :P

As for Beasty, I know he's one of the most patriotic guys I've ever come across. And in no ways, I come close to what he can/wishes to do for India :lol:

Its a good thing that you started this thread Beasty :wub:

My pleasure, Dhruv. Yeah, roaming rates can be exuberant in India! lol...I saw the I day parade LIVE when I used to live in Delhi. I even visited Raisina Hill (Rashtrapati Bhavan) for the beating retreat (that is after the R-Day)...Its beautiful!!

The BeaStKid

My pleasure, Dhruv. Yeah, roaming rates can be exuberant in India! lol...I saw the I day parade LIVE when I used to live in Delhi. I even visited Raisina Hill (Rashtrapati Bhavan) for the beating retreat (that is after the R-Day)...Its beautiful!!

The BeaStKid

Ure one lucky beast :P

Sorry I'm late to this thread, but I'd like to offer my congrats and well-wishes to my three Indian friends, as well as to India and it's people as a whole!

Here's to another 60 years of Independence, and may the coming years be prosperous, peaceful times for the nation!

Greetings from the Word's Eldest Democracy(Switzerland, 1291)

I didn't know that, old Bob! Thank you for telling me that fact :D

Here's to a great deal of continued peace and prosperity for Switzerland as well! :D

Take care everyone and may you all find yourself surrounded by peace and freedom!

Kevin

Sorry I'm late to this thread, but I'd like to offer my congrats and well-wishes to my three Indian friends, as well as to India and it's people as a whole!

Here's to another 60 years of Independence, and may the coming years be prosperous, peaceful times for the nation!

Here's to a great deal of continued peace and prosperity for Switzerland as well! :D

Take care everyone and may you all find yourself surrounded by peace and freedom!

Kevin

Thanks a ton, Kevin

Kevin

Thanks a ton, Kev!! Love you tons,hun! :wub:

Three? Kevin, I see just Dhruv and BeaStKid...

Ieshwar

Yeah... ure right :blink: Maybe he mistook Ieshwar for an Indian :lol: Mauritius and India are soooooo nearby... *scratches head and says* I think!! :P

Thanks a ton, Kev!! Love you tons,hun! :wub:

Yeah... ure right :blink: Maybe he mistook Ieshwar for an Indian :lol: Mauritius and India are soooooo nearby... *scratches head and says* I think!! :P

B) .........give him a break, I hear he's blonde

Nah, Kevin, I'm not Indian. But my ancestors surely were. They immigrated to Mauritius to work and settled here. But we still follow all Indian traditions and cultures. So that's why I know a lot about India.

Take care,

Ieshwar

P.S- Kev has just dyed his hair red with blond highlights!