Stargate SG-1 anyone?

Here's my problem I have just been getting into Stargate Atlantis the past few weeks so I've missed a lot. I don't know why but I felt like watching it would be an abomination to SG-1 so I couldn't do it. But now I'm ok but there's one thing I don't get. Why are they stranded there and why can't they get home to earth. If somebody would tell me what's going on I would really appreshiate it. Thanks.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patrick, the feelings you expressed about Atlantis are common among people who really enjoy/love a specific show. The best thing I can tell you is that you should look at the new show on its own merits first and foremost, and not constantly try to compare it to the original. SG-1 will stand on its own two feet, as will Atlantis. In reality, having them both on, back to back, has likely helped SG-1 continue with higher ratings, and having SG-1 before it gives it a natural follow-through audience that keeps both shows alive longer. Remember, if you want a show to continue, it MUST get higher ratings. Right now, both are being beaten every week by BattleStar Galactica.

Now for your questions about Atlantis. While studying the Antarctic base, Dr. Jackson discovered the address to Atlantis, and that it used an Eighth Chevron address. If you remember from when O'Neill first got the Ancients knowledge loaded into his head, he used eight addresses and a power booster to contact the Asgard. Like the power needs for that episode, in order to reach Atlantis, they needed a new power source to get them to the Pegasus galaxy and to Atlantis.

That proved to be a partially-powered Zero Point Module (ZPM). The ZPM is the Ancients' version of naquidah generators, except they deliver MUCH more power. They used the ZPM from the Antarctic outpost to power a call-up to Atlantis. This would leave the Antarctic Outpost UNPOWERED, which they struggled to keep secret from the Go'auld in SG-1 episodes.

When they dialed up Atlantis, they knew they would only have power for ONE wormhole and that was it. Therefore they had one chance to send a team through, so they assembled the VERY large team, and their equipment, dialed the wormhole and sent a rover through. Rover said there's air and room, so they went through.

The purpose was to go and uncover advanced technology to help Earth survive all the various threats against it. It was believed that the city would have one or more ZPM that could be used from their end to recontact earth and establish steady communication so they can utilize all the advanced technology of the city. It didn't work that way though, because Atlantis was buried under water, and a power shield that kept the city from flooding had drained all THREE of the city's ZPMs so much that when they came through and the city auto-powered up, they had to raise the city to the surface before it flooded.

In this last episode we found out that the original expedition actually failed until Weir went back in time and established, with the help of an Ancient, the protocols that saved the city in the premier episode we saw. (got to love time travel stories).

BTW, we will know that Jonas built another time-travelling puddle jumper in SG-1 when it's discovered by O'Neill and Carter. (I cheated and d/l the last few episodes of the seasons for both shows).

When Atlantis team started exploring to find a ZPM on one of the worlds listed in the city's database, they met Tayla and her people, and encountered the Wraith, who were responsible for the defeat of the Ancients 10,000 years ago. The Wraith are slightly lower on the tech tree of the Ancients, but outnumbered them tremendously. The Ancients buried Atlantis and fled back to Earth, and then the Wraith went into extended sleep until their scouts reported that the number of humans (their primary food source) had recovered enough. Then they would wake up, feed, and go back to sleep for a few more hundred years.

Now they know about Earth, and that there are SEVEN billion humans on the planet alone. That's a big feeding ground for them since most of the worlds in the Pegasus galaxy have only a few hundred or few thousand. They're coming to Atlantis to take the City, the Ancients' technology, fresh food, and directions to Earth and a new feeding ground.

I don't want to spoil too much for you, but at the end of the Season, Atlantis has to defend itself against an all-out Wraith attack, and they do it on a level that is wonderful to watch. Think about the Antarctic battle, and it's like that, only slightly better.

Ok so let's talk about favorite, worst, and sadest episode. What are yours?

My favorite episode is probobly a tie between the battle in Antartica and when they outed the Stargate to the other major powers of the world.

My worst episode had to be the first episode with Harlem, he bugs me like no other person ever could.

And the saddest episode ever was the one where Dr. Frasier died. I'll admit it I'm a bit of a boob and I cried so hard that I had to get up and walk around I was so stuffed up and was crying so hard. It really hits you at home when you loose somebody like that.

Dr. Frasier's death was extremely well done. I hadn't heard that she was leaving the show, so I didn't know going in that it would be her. The way they did it was quite good, and yes a tear-jerker.

The stupidest episode, well there's a few. Harlen I found to be actually entertaining. I loved how he irked the team over and over again. The first Murry episode would have to be among my least favorites, but there's been a few.

The episode revealing the stargate to China, France and England was okay, and it was only the ending with Thor that made it tolerable in my opinion. The Antarctica discovery and battle was among my favorites for the cliffhangers, but I also enjoyed the series of episodes where they used the multi-dimensional cross-over arcs. Those were quite fun to watch.

I was thinking about it but trying to keep it quiet. It wouldn't be gay fanfiction I don't think but several short stories. I have seasons 1 to 7 on DVD and I haven't seen some of the forgoton plot points brought up again and I was thinking about doing some lead off after Into His Own. It would be short but it wouldn't leave the dead end that we've seen before.

You've got your hands full?

You know what I won't ask just keep those hands full.

What's that you say? Why yes I do have the most perverted mind in the world (excluding Bill Clinton... or any members of his staff).

I don't think that I could ever watch the show again if I did a gay fan fiction. It would poisen the show for me.

Best lines I've heard in a while:

Sam Carter:"You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water."

Jacob Carter"There, you got it."

Sam Carter "For my next trick, parting the Red Sea."

Teal'c man Teal'c is my damn hero there isn't anyone else like him.

They are all going outside for some reason I can't think right now and Teal'c had been watching the news. Teal'c get's a little confused because Jack won't let him take his staff weapon to the surface with him he says

I have seen your planet I will need it.

And my all out favorite is when he lifts up his eyebrow and says no.

That's just not right they're always doing that. Have you seen my post on scifi.com if you haven't here it is.

Forgotton story plots.

Jacks girlfriend from 100 days

Daniels uncle (they said they would come back)

The Tolan (they can't all be dead)

The dude Carter married in the ep 2010 he could still be alive (daniel was so hot in that one)

Trotonan (why aren't all of the jaffa using it?)

Carter can use hand devices (why isn't she training with them or using them in battle?)

Women Jaffa warriers? (where are they?)

What the crap happened with the achient Asguard that they found on that planet and was suposed to correct their cloning problems.

Jacks clone (he was so hot and if you do it in slow motion you get a perfect ball shot)............ did I just type that outloud.

The human soldier that was made into a Tok'ra (where is he or did they take it out?)

The Harseasis child (we havn't hear from him in a while.

There is more of them but I can't think of them at the moment if anyone else can think of any please let me know.

That's just not right they're always doing that.  Have you seen my post on scifi.com if you haven't here it is.

Forgotton story plots.

Jacks girlfriend from 100 days

Daniels uncle (they said they would come back)

The Tolan (they can't all be dead)

The dude Carter married in the ep 2010 he could still be alive (daniel was so hot in that one)

Trotonan (why aren't all of the jaffa using it?)

Carter can use hand devices (why isn't she training with them or using them in battle?)

Women Jaffa warriers?  (where are they?)

What the crap happened with the achient Asguard that they found on that planet and was suposed to correct their cloning problems.

Jacks clone (he was so hot and if you do it in slow motion you get a perfect ball shot)............ did I just type that outloud.

The human soldier that was made into a Tok'ra (where is he or did they take it out?)

The Harseasis child (we havn't hear from him in a while.

There is more of them but I can't think of them at the moment if anyone else can think of any please let me know.

Daniel got back because the rest of the Ascended Ancients decided that Oma had finally paid for her bad decision in helping Anubis ascend. Oma obviously survived because she was the one who has a hankering for seeing a nude Daniel (as well as most of us).

As for the storylines left open:

Tritonan is used by rebel jaffa who do not have a symbiote. T'ealc mentions this in the season finale.

Carter's lack of use on the hand devices is simple: When the frack does she have time to learn, and why bother since they've already found several other devices that work just as well and don't need naquida in the blood?

Jack's clone is now a teenager. He's living a happy, normal life. Leave him be.

The human soldier that became a Tokra, Lt. Elliot I do believe, died in that same episode while he made a last stand against Jaffa to give SG-1 time to escape.

Harsesis Child Ascended. What does he have to do with the mortal world anymore?

Female Jaffa warriors are around, just barely off-screen.

Oh, and Thor got himself a new cloned body with no problems. Don't you think this might indicate they finally fixed their cloning problem?

Very amusing but flawed.

Oma is battleing Anubis for all eternity remember she can't defeat him.

Yes but Teal'c also mentioned that it was the key to freeing all the Jaffa from the Goul'd forever and not relying on their symbiotes.

I know he is living a normal life but still he was so cute. (I just turned 18 in dec I'm not a petifile)

I do remember him accending now I had forgotton thank you.

I know Thor has a new body but that wasn't the problem the problems was that after hundreds apoun hundreds of years of cloning themselve they had lost the abbility to.........mate and that was the pourpose of the found body.

Well that ansers some of my questions but will somebody please tell me what will happen with the rest. Even though nobody has this information.

FOR ALL of THose Who Missed Last Night's Episode.

Moebius: Part 1

The world has lost one its unsung heroes: Catherine Langford, Daniel's mentor and one of the pioneers of the Stargate program, has passed away. She has left Daniel Jackson her vast collection of archeological tomes and artifacts.

Among the items, Daniel finds an original 1889 edition of The Eye of the Sun, the only one in existence. The book details the customs and rituals observed by the ancient worshippers of the sun god Ra. More important, it contains a reproduction of a wall painting, discovered by German archeologists near Giza in 1885, that depicts a ceremony over a religious artifact, which Ra's worshippers referred to as "The Heart of Light." It is clearly a Zero Point Module