The Vice President needs YOU!

Adrian Michaels

Hey all,

I don't remember if I mentioned this, but I was elected Vice President of the LGBTQ Club at my college. I'm pretty excited about it, and I've met some fun people.

However, unlike the LGBTQ Club at my old college (University of Wisconsin), this one is downright tiny. I'm talking like, 8 people. On good days.

The officers are supposed to be organizing events at the campus, but with such a small amount of people that I KNOW will attend, it's hard to plan.

So... I was wondering if you had any suggestions. You'll all wonderful, and I take your ideas very seriously.

I'm trying to think of movies, but I'd like to find one that will appeal to the non-LGBT crowd as well.

Any help you can give me would be pretty much amazing.

Thanks!

Ben (Adrian Michaels)

• Site Administrator

I'll have to pass on giving advice on movies -- I'm not up to date on the latest ones, or even the recent ones.

If you are just looking for a group social activity, there's a lot of other options besides movies. Bowling, go-kart racing, a outing to any local theme park, etc., are all good group activities that have wide appeal.

Whatever you do is up to your budget, which can be very tight for a lot of clubs. As for movie nights, consult your faculty advisor. At my GSA we brought up the idea of a movie night and found that whatever SSTV doesn't have in its closet or files, we must get a copyright for. Copyrights can run from $400-900 and must be obtained for public viewings!

Besides that, you can organize little get-togethers outside of the regular meetings to just chill... no business at all. Except for practicing our Safe Zone presentations, a bunch of us are getting together at the presidents house for booze and QAF this coming Sunday night.

Believe me I know what you're going through. I'm pretty much the only regular member in the club. The VP, P, and secretary are always there, the treasurer isn't a staple, but he's there sometimes. The web master isn't always there, but she's there sometimes. Then we have a few people who come and go at their leisure. The PR leader and her girlfriend haven't even been there in a while. This low attendance puts the club itself in a bind since myself and all of the student leaders are leaving at the end of next semester, so we really need to do a membership drive.

Congrats on your position! If I wasn't so busy I would have put my name in the ring to take the treasurers position since he stepped down to take over being the Safe Zone administrator. But, I'm an engineering major, so I let the web master take it.

You could always get together for dinner. There are probably some inexpensive options around your school. There is also the option of having a potluck.

When it comes to movies you could make a list of possibilities and alow a few weeks for others to add their ideas. Then you can have a vote. That way no one can complain that you chose a movie they did not want to watch.

You could also have game nights. Depending on what sort of things the club is into it could be anything from board games to traditional sports.

I suggest movie theme nights- Sci-fi night, mystery night, horror night and action-adventure night.

It depends on how many times you get together- maybe once a month. How many movies you want to watch, when do you start.

If you start early, you can go LATE and watch up to 4 movies. Start around 9 and watch two.

Ask everyone to bring something: 2 liter soft drinks, tequila, chips, dips. Maybe club funds can buy a pizza. :boy: Often you'll find that you have a couple of guys who can cook whose honor will be personally offended unless they cook something awesome. ^_^

Now- for movie choices, you want something good that maybe not everyone has seen. If you've got an independent movie store, they often have big collections with older movies. Don't be afraid of older movies- there is a lot of good stuff that 20-somethings haven't seen.

Now for movie choices there are two ways to go: cult classics or do some research and find some good stuff. I suggest staying away from movies with numbers. Scream, Halloween, Nighmare on Elm Street... unless you do them all and there are too many of them.

Sci-Fi- there are tons of choices: the Riddick Trilogy might be a perfect fit. Vin Diesel's Pitch Black, the Chronicles of Riddick and a third animated film are quite good. The Star Wars old or new trilogy might also be just right.

Mystery- Discover Hitchcock! Watch Noth by Northwest and the Birds! w00t!

Horror- Look up an old film named Lifeforce- one of the spookiest movies ever. Moontrap- B movie but gross, scary and funny.

Action-Adventure- Arnold anyone? How bout Steven Seagall? The Mummy?

Hey all,

I don't remember if I mentioned this, but I was elected Vice President of the LGBTQ Club at my college. I'm pretty excited about it, and I've met some fun people.

However, unlike the LGBTQ Club at my old college (University of Wisconsin), this one is downright tiny. I'm talking like, 8 people. On good days.

The officers are supposed to be organizing events at the campus, but with such a small amount of people that I KNOW will attend, it's hard to plan.

So... I was wondering if you had any suggestions. You'll all wonderful, and I take your ideas very seriously.

I'm trying to think of movies, but I'd like to find one that will appeal to the non-LGBT crowd as well.

Any help you can give me would be pretty much amazing.

Thanks!

Ben (Adrian Michaels)

B) .....you can always throw a party!! Halloween, x-mas etc.

'My Own Private Idaho'? Its neutral but it might be a bit depressing... Gosh with my extensive list of viewed gay-themed movies you'd think i'd come up with more. I think 'Adam and Steve' would be funny to a wide range of audiences but its definitely gay-focused. hmmmm

well, if it doesn't have to be ON campus -- lasertag or paintball are always favorites. If it does -- does your campus have a bowling alley? (ours had a 4 lane one) or maybe you can find out what you need to do to get the pool for a couple hours? a volleyball game in the gym (or the quad)... lots of possibilities.

• Site Administrator
'My Own Private Idaho'? Its neutral but it might be a bit depressing... Gosh with my extensive list of viewed gay-themed movies you'd think i'd come up with more. I think 'Adam and Steve' would be funny to a wide range of audiences but its definitely gay-focused. hmmmm

A couple of Aussie movies: The Sum of Us (comedy about a father and son, both looking for love -- one of each sex, featuring a young Russell Crowe) and Head On (A 19 year old Greek boy coming to terms with his sexual identity, featuring the very sexy Alex Dimitriades). I've seen the former but not the later.

hmmn movies movies movies,

ok,

'Boy Culture' is good, so is another one called 'Balls' (its about a gay soccer team and pritty dammn funny), then theres 'Queer Duck' which is rather amusing, then there 'The Broken Hearts Club' its pritty well known but definately worth its rep, also theres a great little short called 'Trevor' its a excellent little feel good short cant help but smile every time i watch it, 'Velvet Goldmine' is also good and so is another movie called 'Trick' i think it is. thats all i can think of off the top of my head

Here are a few other ideas.

[*]Ask the Community Services Officer from the Police Department come and talk about their outreach program for LGBT youth (assuming your local police department has such an officer!).

[*]Invite a doctor from the local medical center to come and talk about STD

• 3 weeks later...