Saying I love you

I am the complete opposite of being able to or wanting to say "I love you" to anyone other than my immediate family. I had a hard time saying it to my mom at some point, but I managed to convince myself that if I did not, I might miss the chance to say it to her should something happen (same goes with the rest of my family). In any case, in a relationship, that just doesn't fly with me. I don't need to hear it nor do I want to hear it. In fact, it makes me highly uncomfortable. I don't even want a relationship much less someone telling me they love me. The words freak me out in that context. I am highly allergic to them!

I say it to the people I love often. Even friends and stuff, I think it's always good to tell people how you honestly feel. And.. who doesn't like being told they mean something to someone, I think it's nice.

• 1 month later...

I'm not very comfortable with those three words. It doesn't even matter if they're meant for me. I don't like it in movies or books either.

I've only ever said it once - twice counting the time I wrote it down - where I have have meant i from the bottom of my heart. I don't know if I'm insecure, but I'm almost afraid of how people will react. The few times it has been said to me I have not had the faintest idea of how to react. The first thing that comes into my mind is to run away xD

I'm just really not good with commitment of any kind at. all. xD

For the record, I am aware that this will most likely be considered immature by most (I agree and I am trying to work on it :D)

To some extent I think it depends who you're saying it to. I say it to my kids pretty much every day.

In my stories I explore the nature of love and I've said over and over that, to say you love someone you have to know them, to have spent time with them. You can't say you love someone unless you know what you're saying it to. Are you saying you love the way they look or the way they act or the way they are. If it's the latter then you can't say it until you know what they are.

For my part, I say them easily because I mean them totally. I have never stopped loving anyone I have said the words to, even though we may not be together anymore.

• Like 1

Saying it to your lover on special occasions is fine. Saying it all the time is like saying hello. Love really requires that you show it. Being nice, cheerful, thoughtful, loyal, loving and demonstrative is more important to me. In other words say it with a kiss!