vanished authors

corvus

I was going through the files I had on my computer today, and I found a story I had read years ago and that I'd apparently really liked. I spent most of the day rereading it, and I was floored. I was completely transported -- it was a tremendous experience. I did a Google search to try to find the author's email so as to tell him that he was effing brilliant, but Google search came up with nothing. Apparently, the author had pulled down the stories from the internet. There's practically no trace left.

But then I remembered that I had sent the author an email four years ago to say how I enjoyed the story. When I searched my email account, I found his email address. I was thrilled. I proceeded to write a long email gushing over how I loved the story, how it was amazing, how I hoped he would upload them again, etc. I clicked send and got a delivery failure notice. That was a real bummer. What makes it worse is that, apparently, *he* had replied to *me* four years ago -- and I hadn't bothered to respond. Now I feel like a real idiot, especially because there's almost no way to contact him again. I'd had my chance, and lost it.

The story, btw, is "Searching for Christolph" by Jason Locke. It was on dabeagle a long time ago... (I feel old!)

Anyway, this is one of the things about internet fiction -- you read something amazing (and sometimes unfinished), and you want to contact the author -- but you find that they've just slipped away. Disappeared. It's frustrating and horrible (especially if it could have been avoided). Of course the author has every right to retreat from the internet and distance themselves from past works, but for the readers... Maybe it's just me: when I read something that I connect to tremendously -- and it's usually internet fiction; I guess such works tend to be more personal & accessible -- I want to tell the author that yes, I know how you felt because that's how I felt, you're brilliant and wonderful, etc. But with transient addresses, pseudonyms, etc., it's like beaming radio waves to aliens. Not going to happen.

Meh. If I get rich and famous one day, I'll be sure to initiate a manhunt for Mr. Jason Locke...

Meh. If I get rich and famous one day, I'll be sure to initiate a manhunt for Mr. Jason Locke...

God, you're funny. I hope you do get rich one day, and you'll have enough money and power to initiate a manhunt for your author, lol. Maybe if you network enough here on GA, you'll get in contact with some awesome PI looking to do pro-bono work.

But I understand your frustrations. Some stories on Nifty, they opt not to put in an email address and you can't email them about their awesome writing. Or they hadn't written in so long and by the time you've read their stuff, digging endlessly in the archives, their address in no longer valid! Authors don't update their email addy and us readers are outta luck! However, since the internet can be a scary place, I sometimes understand the use pf pseudonyms. When I first started writing, I never even thought about using a pseudonym, but now I'm glad that I didn't. Using my real name, well, it allows the readers to feel more personal with the writer.

Another thing I hate: when authors take their work off the internet in order to edit it and repost, but then they just stop! And I was too stupid or too slow to save the old posts on my computer. I should have; I really loved the stories.

It was "Angel" and "The Pleasure Boy" by Jae Monroe, both on Nifty.

I don't know where he's from- I'm thinking either Australia or New Zealand or one of those places that i have no clue about. I'm hoping to win the lottery so I can travel there and start my own manhunt. I wanna steal his computer....

I know how you feel. I've found lots of stories that have been abandoned because they lose their muse or just don't update.

What really tweaks me is that they don't try to tell their readers what's up with the story. They just...stop. No updates, no authors notes, nothing in their profiles and absolutely no answers from pms when I tell them that I hope they one day continue their writing. But thats only because I'm really into the story.

Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever found a story that you enjoyed so much! But then you lose the link? I did that. With CJames 'For the Love.' Anyways, that's :off: anyways.

The story, btw, is "Searching for Christolph" by Jason Locke. It was on dabeagle a long time ago... (I feel old!)

Wow, you brought back some memories there. It's been over 5 years since I read Jason's stories. There are two completed stories and actually they are still there on Dabeagle's site. I found the links in a file that I keep of all the stories that I read. "Shadow People" was my favorite but I highly recommend both of them.

Searching For Christolph

Shadow People

• Site Administrator
Also looking for the story 'Moot Point' by Drake or something... I can't find it anymore. It was awesome.

Drake Hunter's stories are off the Internet at the moment. He's disappeared, though I've received word that he's still around. I don't recognise the name you've used, so it may be a different author, but Drake Hunter's stories are amongst the best I've read. I'm still trying to get to his standard of writing.

He had his own website and his stories didn't appear anywhere else (with one exception). When he disappeared, his site got hacked, and then fell out of registration. Some friends paid the registration on his behalf, but he hasn't resurfaced.

Only two of his stories are still around, and that's because he allowed The Mail Crew guys to host two of them (one was written especially for their site):

You can find them on their Stories page, but the direct links are:

A Yule Tale

Through Different Eyes

Just a reminder, if you know or can find the URL of a story that has gone missing, or the site it was on, it's always worth searching on the WayBack Machine at the Internet Archive and then sifting through the various dated snapshots that go back years. The Advanced search can often be very useful at quickly finding things that don't show up immediately in a simple search.

But then I remembered that I had sent the author an email four years ago to say how I enjoyed the story. When I searched my email account, I found his email address. I was thrilled. I proceeded to write a long email gushing over how I loved the story, how it was amazing, how I hoped he would upload them again, etc. I clicked send and got a delivery failure notice. That was a real bummer. What makes it worse is that, apparently, *he* had replied to *me* four years ago -- and I hadn't bothered to respond. Now I feel like a real idiot, especially because there's almost no way to contact him again. I'd had my chance, and lost it.

Anyway, this is one of the things about internet fiction -- you read something amazing (and sometimes unfinished), and you want to contact the author -- but you find that they've just slipped away. Disappeared. It's frustrating and horrible (especially if it could have been avoided). Of course the author has every right to retreat from the internet and distance themselves from past works, but for the readers... Maybe it's just me: when I read something that I connect to tremendously -- and it's usually internet fiction; I guess such works tend to be more personal & accessible -- I want to tell the author that yes, I know how you felt because that's how I felt, you're brilliant and wonderful, etc. But with transient addresses, pseudonyms, etc., it's like beaming radio waves to aliens. Not going to happen.

Well, I'll tell you this, yea it's a bummer, specially since he pulled off the stories off the internet. Also it's annoying when you start reading a story that you really really like and then the writer stop posting in the middle of a story. That's indeed frustrating.

You send him an email and he originally answered you back.. that was four years ago. It's a really long time when it comes to internet. A lot of things can change in four year. Maybe he just doesn't feel like it anymore, maybe his situation has changed. You got to at least feel lucky that you got an answer back. That's the real difference between internet and books the proximity of the author

Edited by FrenchCanadian

Have you ever thought of the other way round? Like you being the author that just *poof* disappears. * shudders*

The only difference with me is that many won't miss my stories. :P None of them is novel or novella.

Ieshwar

Have you ever thought of the other way round? Like you being the author that just *poof* disappears. * shudders*

The only difference with me is that many won't miss my stories. :P None of them is novel or novella.

Ieshwar

It's sadly the truth with the majority of internet writer.. there might be a handful that would really miss your stories. but otherwise, it would be forgotten about really fast.

Ieshwar

Well, it happened with me. I stopped writing and didn't come out with a chapter for over 5 months.... Damn!

It's sadly the truth with the majority of internet writer.. there might be a handful that would really miss your stories. but otherwise, it would be forgotten about really fast.

Yeah...and now, when I finally came out with a chapter, I got not even a single feedback here.... :(

Yeah...and now, when I finally came out with a chapter, I got not even a single feedback here.... :(

*hugs* I give you feed back as soon as I get around to reading your stories. Promise.

But it really sucks when an author just drops off the face of the earth, but it unfortunatly happens.

*hugs* I give you feed back as soon as I get around to reading your stories. Promise.

But it really sucks when an author just drops off the face of the earth, but it unfortunatly happens.

thanks... :) Life is such....what to do... Sigh!

Well, it happened with me. I stopped writing and didn't come out with a chapter for over 5 months.... Damn!

ya, that's always shame for that,, cause no matter what you say,, it makes your day when you receive feedback. Yes, it's nice to see the reading count come up, but getting written feedback is way appreciated. :hug:

ya, that's always shame for that,, cause no matter what you say,, it makes your day when you receive feedback. Yes, it's nice to see the reading count come up, but getting written feedback is way appreciated. :hug:

yup and when you write for hobby and pleasure, it is always great to hear what other people think about your work. Even if it is just a 'nice one', it is something that puts a smile on my face...

yup and when you write for hobby and pleasure, it is always great to hear what other people think about your work. Even if it is just a 'nice one', it is something that puts a smile on my face...

So true, I have the same reaction,, tho, I'm guessing that with all the numbers of story there are on the site, it's hard for everyone, every chapter, getting any kind of feedback,

So true, I have the same reaction,, tho, I'm guessing that with all the numbers of story there are on the site, it's hard for everyone, every chapter, getting any kind of feedback,

Yes I for one always try to give feedback, but somethings you just honestly forget, it's sad to say but it happens. That or you are just so moved by the story that you really don't have anything to say.

Btw I just went and read Jason Locke's Searching For Christolph. This story may be a tad confusing at first, but keep reading and you will enjoy it just as much as I have, this really made my day... And being sick and missing an entire day of work it is a bad day, but I'm a lot better after reading it now. =P

thats quite true... the number of authors here is quite large....It's a pity that most of them do not get replies due to the numbers... Sigh!

Feedback is our payment and I salute those who take the time to contact authors. Most readers, however, maintain a low profile. I roughly calculate that two or three send me a note per 100 readers, per chapter. Many lurkers don't want to get involved in the process. Others are closeted for a myriad of reasons. Some print chapters for later reading away from a computer.

Graeme mentioned Drake Hunter. Another author I admired who disappeared is Savoir-Faire. Here's a short story he wrote almost ten years ago: http://www.nifty.org/nifty/gay/highschool/brown-eyed-boy. Another terrific story is Dark Angel. For whatever reason, S-F dropped out. BTW, does everyone know about The Best of Nifty site that Awesome Dude maintains? It's a marvelous depository of classics. http://www.best-of-nifty.org/#niftylinks.

Personal problems, career/school pressures, time restraints, life priorities, discouragement, creative drought: each of these reasons can seriously challenge a writer's productivity. Throw in a few of these together and the result can be quite disruptive. A couple of my favorite GA authors - Topher and Dom - are maintaining very low profiles right now.

Don't get down, BeaSTKid, about the lack of response. I hope you feel that each chapter makes you a better writer. Several stories and updates are posted daily on GA. Add to the mix the flourishing forums with which the members are continually involved and the other excellent story sites that are frequented. We - the authors - daily face volumes of worthy competition for the reader's valuable time.

Jack B)

Don't get down, BeaSTKid, about the lack of response. I hope you feel that each chapter makes you a better writer. Several stories and updates are posted daily on GA. Add to the mix the flourishing forums with which the members are continually involved and the other excellent story sites that are frequented. We - the authors - daily face volumes of worthy competition for the reader's valuable time.

Jack B)

As a matter of fact, indeed I think that every chapter, or rather every post here makes me grow as a writer and a person. There is so much to learn and gain from here at GA... :)

As a reader myself, I can see what you mean. There have been numerous occasions where I wanted to read what a new author has published here, but there are so many being published that it's hard to keep up. :)