How do your pronounce our fearless leader's name?

Julian Alexander

Myr's Name  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce it?

• My-er
    • Me-er
    • Other

I've been wondering for while (Not really, just something thats been bugging the last few days) how most of you pronounce Myr's name. The two main options are My-er and the second is Me-er (as in the Mir Space Station).

And of course I have "other" just in case.

-Jules ;)

• Site Administrator

I voted for the first one, but that's based on Australian phonics (which my boys are learning). The letter 'Y' has two sounds in Australian English, and there are rules to determine which one to use. On that basis, the first option is the correct one.

Of course, that assumes that the word is an Australian English word....

I've noted that American's have a funny way of pronouncing some letters :P Seriously, though, since it's his name, he's the only one who can say how it's pronounced. We can have fun with guessing, but the majority option in the poll is not necessarily correct.

I voted for the first one, but that's based on Australian phonics (which my boys are learning). The letter 'Y' has two sounds in Australian English, and there are rules to determine which one to use. On that basis, the first option is the correct one.

Of course, that assumes that the word is an Australian English word....

I've noted that American's have a funny way of pronouncing some letters :P Seriously, though, since it's his name, he's the only one who can say how it's pronounced. We can have fun with guessing, but the majority option in the poll is not necessarily correct.

Same here.... My-er for me... :)

Wow! I seem to pronounce it completely differently, and honestly it never even occurred to me that anyone might not pronounce it the way I do.

I would say it sorta like "M-er", like a regular "er" sound with an M in front. To rhyme with:

sir

"Yes sir, Myr" would be a rhyme the way I would say it. With "Sir" and "Myr" each making their consonant sound and then an "er" at the end.

Like the gifts the wisemen/magi brought in the Bible: "gold, frankincense, and myrrh"

It's almost even spelled the same way except for the "rh" at the end...but I wouldn't think that would change the pronunciation.

In my defense of this pronunciation, I've spoken with people from GA on the phone before, and if I recall correctly the first time Myr was ever referenced the other member mentioned him first and pronounced it in exactly the way I described above. So even though it never occurred to me to doubt the way it was said in the first place, I thought surely this was further evidence! LOL :lol:

Why don't we ask Myr how he pronounces it?!? :boy:

-Kevin

Wow! I seem to pronounce it completely differently, and honestly it never even occurred to me that anyone might not pronounce it the way I do.

I would say it sorta like "M-er", like a regular "er" sound with an M in front. To rhyme with:

"Yes sir, Myr" would be a rhyme the way I would say it. With "Sir" and "Myr" each making their consonant sound and then an "er" at the end.

Like the gifts the wisemen/magi brought in the Bible: "gold, frankincense, and myrrh"

It's almost even spelled the same way except for the "rh" at the end...but I wouldn't think that would change the pronunciation.

In my defense of this pronunciation, I've spoken with people from GA on the phone before, and if I recall correctly the first time Myr was ever referenced the other member mentioned him first and pronounced it in exactly the way I described above. So even though it never occurred to me to doubt the way it was said in the first place, I thought surely this was further evidence! LOL :lol:

-Kevin

well, i believe James pronounces it the way you do, judging by his reply...

well, i believe James pronounces it the way you do, judging by his reply...

B) ...........I've always thought it was pronounced like Mir the space station

• Site Moderator

It could be a play on words also. For all we know, His name could be Myer and he just left out one letter. I know of a couple of people who have taken their first name, reversed the letters for their user name, Cram (Marc).

We tend to assume we know the pronunciation for a word in print. Most people would pronounce NIC as Nick. I've been told by an author that in his story, NIC is pronounced Neek. Another example would be my name, Jan. People is some countries would pronounce it as Jon while in other countries as Yan.

Personally, I voted for the first choice. I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner.

It could be a play on words also. For all we know, His name could be Myer and he just left out one letter. I know of a couple of people who have taken their first name, reversed the letters for their user name, Cram (Marc).

We tend to assume we know the pronunciation for a word in print. Most people would pronounce NIC as Nick. I've been told by an author that in his story, NIC is pronounced Neek. Another example would be my name, Jan. People is some countries would pronounce it as Jon while in other countries as Yan.

Personally, I voted for the first choice. I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner.

A friend of mine says that all the time. It always cracks me up. :lol:

• Site Administrator

I could probably tell you.

But I think I should speak to the head of the Indoctrination Center and ensure that this oversight is corrected. :P

-Kevin

Thank god I'm not the only one. I just assumed everyone rhymed it with sir, and when i read the replies, i felt like such a blond. :*)

Myr, rhymes with sir, as well as the first syllable of Merlin.

I don't even know how to pronounce those first two options... they look like two syllable words!

I voted for the second one, since I tend to pronounce it closer to "mir" (short i sound).

When I first saw the thread, though, I was thinking in my head "dubya" and "shrub" O.o

I was thinking that too lmao.

This is madness :wacko:

This great mystery continues to elude us.......

As for me, I went with My- and then 'err', so Myer, basically. :D

Jeez, this is going to bug me for eternity.

Is there an amazing, well-connected stalker around here that can somehow call Myr up, fake a persona (ex: this is your Verizon bill rep.) and get the pronunciation of his name?

Like:

Q- Is this Myr so and so?

Answer A- Why yes, this is Myr so and so. What is the nature of this phone call?

OR

Answer B- It's Myr (corrected version). What is the nature of this phone call?

Ok, I seriously analyzed this and now it is REALLY bugging me. Who created this thread? Let me go back and check.