Touchy-feely:  "The meek shall inherit the earth".  Of course, that quote comes from a book that says it's an abomination to f**k another man (if you are a man), so draw your own conclusions on accuracy.

I don't think the Book of Psalms mentions homosexuality? :blink: It's not mentioned in Matthew, either, IIRC (where the meek shall inherit the Earth is mentioned again).

Remember, the Bible is a canonical volume, not a book, per se.

Edit: I have a feeling I'm being overly pedantic in what was a light-hearted discussion. If so, I apologize, but I still feel that in this case the splitting of a few hairs is justified for bolstering the case for romantics everywhere.

Splitting hairs is fine, just make sure you know which kitty you are plucking it from.

Snow Dog the Domaholic Danderthal

In most Christian faiths, the bible is acknowledged as the true word of God.  In effect, that links all of it's "books" together, such that all are correct and true, despite the inherent contradictions, trumping the canonical arguments.  Sort of like logic tends to trump the inane thought processes of most romantics.  (Keep in mind this is a light-hearted discussion)

I don't necessarily think that's true. For one, Christians have a long history of ignoring specific parts of Old Testament teaching. After all, it's been quite some time since Christians observed Old Testament dietary rituals or sacrifical teachings. The Old Testament is supposed to aid in the understanding of the New Testament, but just about all Christians believe that the word of Jesus Christ (i.e. - the Gospels) supersedes all other religious works, particularly the teachings of the Old Testament. And whether or not Christians should even consider the Old Testament as canonical has been explosive several times over the past 2000 years.

Thus, the inherit contradictions in the Bible should be resolved as often as possible by the sayings of Jesus Christ, as he is the Savior and the dilverance of man.

After all, what we know as the Bible didn't come to exist until the Council of Carthage in the 4th century. Certain holy texts were left out, even though they are still considered sacred. Furthermore, the Protestant Bible leaves out certain books from the Catholic Bible--Christians have never been opposed to re-mapping or re-interpreting their holy scripture. Plus, there's the issue of translation and accuracy from the original Hebrew/Aramaic texts. Often, texts we used today were first translated into Greek and then into other European languages.

We've also been known to do a good bit of contextualizing of the Bible throughout history in order to reconcile religion with our daily realities (divorce, anyone?). That's one of the great frustrations over homosexuality--Jesus didn't actually say anything regarding homosexuals, so the lines are less clear. That's why the story of the adultress in the Book of John is so appealing to everyone... "he who hath not sinned" and all (John 8:7). Of course, people often leave out John 8:11, where Jesus tells the adultress to go and leave her life of sin. And of course, there's Matthew 7:1 which states, "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

Which is one lesson Jesus left behind that I think a lot of Christians seem to be forgetting. All in good time, I suppose.

This is actually a pretty interesting discussion. :great:

So what you're saying is that we have a document that:

1.  Contradicts itself, but where it is in disagreement, the newer parts are accurate.

Yes. (Well, if you're a Christian. If you're a Jew, the newer parts don't apply at all. If you are a Muslim, the word of Muhammad trumps the word of Jesus.)

2.  Has been changed, edited, and interpreted by men.

Yes.

3.  Those men who interpreted, changed, and edited the document most likely had significant personal interests on the line (you didn't say that, I interpolated it).

I'm sure they did. And other interests as well, ranging from artistic to a desire for accurate translation. It depends.

1.  It should be considered the word of God because it is (ie.. God would have made sure that the true version of his word remained at the end of these iterations)

No. Well, yes, if you're a Christian. According to Christianity, Jesus is the fulfillment of God's word, so he takes precedence (that's why it's called Christianity, after all).

1.  We should consider this as defacto evidence that Jesus is our saviour and (I think you meant to say) deliverance

No. I'm not even a Christian, so why would I be saying that? I'm saying that is the role of Jesus IN Christianity.

2.  We should ignore the broad history of self-interest, murder, rape, and enslavement of the Christian church and recognize that they acted not in their self interest but in the interest of God.

No. Where did I say this at all? I don't ever even remember mentioning the church itself, except for in reference to the creation of the canonical texts.

I think you're taking this too personally...

Edited by jontd

I think you're taking this too personally...

Hey now...I'm not taking this personally at all. I'm just intrigued by the discussion. I always marvel at the fanaticism of many Christians, especially when their faith is grounded in such shifting sand.

I could have sworn I told him to watch which kitty he plucked the hair from if he was going to split it.

• 2 weeks later...

Far be it from me to continue to flog a dead horse (well, turtle actually), but I find it interesting that Dom (excuse me, Mr. Luka :D ) used Howie to show us key things in Owen's and Nicky's personality. Owen was consistantly careless with Nicky's feelings like he was careless with Howie. He left Nicky to flounder around on his back in the full sunlight without an real concern for him - just like Howie. My fear is that he has also destroyed Nicky's emotional foundation - like he killed Howie, through neglect and ignorance.

The key part is Nicky. If the first punch and the choice words for Owen was truly sufficient for Nicky to forgive him for the loss of Howie, then Nicky can truly forgive Owen, particularly after learning the ture story. But, this only works if Owen can be honest with Nicky in the future. With only one more chapter to go on the Owen/Aiden story, I don't see any real developmnet possible. Also, shoehorning Nicky into part of a spinoff seems a little forced, particularly if it doesn't have a lot of Owen/Aiden in it. But Mr. Luka is his own person and can write whatever he wants.

Far be it from me to continue to flog a dead horse (well, turtle actually), but I find it interesting that Dom (excuse me, Mr. Luka  :D ) used Howie to show us key things in Owen's and Nicky's personality.  Owen was consistantly careless with Nicky's feelings like he was careless with Howie.  He left Nicky to flounder around on his back in the full sunlight without an real concern for him - just like Howie.  My fear is that he has also destroyed Nicky's emotional foundation - like he killed Howie, through neglect and ignorance.

The key part is Nicky.  If the first punch and the choice words for Owen was truly sufficient for Nicky to forgive him for the loss of Howie, then Nicky can truly forgive Owen, particularly after learning the ture story.  But, this only works if Owen can be honest with Nicky in the future.  With only one more chapter to go on the Owen/Aiden story, I don't see any real developmnet possible.  Also, shoehorning Nicky into part of a spinoff seems a little forced, particularly if it doesn't have a lot of Owen/Aiden in it.  But Mr. Luka is his own person and can write whatever he wants.

This will no doubt go down in Domaholic lore as "The Turtle Theory".

Destroying Nicky's emotional foundation through neglect and ignorance? Spare me! If that's what you truly think, you have totally misconstrued Nicky's character.

I could give you several examples from this latest chapter alone, but I won't. Frankly, I believe you're just stirring the pot. Now that's not a bad thing. We do have to amuse ourselves between chapters.

Personnally, I'd love to shoehorn Nicky! :P But alas, his eyes are on Lacy right now. :(

Hugs,

Conner :boy:

With only one more chapter to go on the Owen/Aiden story, I don't see any real developmnet possible.  Also, shoehorning Nicky into part of a spinoff seems a little forced, particularly if it doesn't have a lot of Owen/Aiden in it.  But Mr. Luka is his own person and can write whatever he wants.

You're right, Owen has made peace and has had his closure with Nicky. We had a very long and full chapter about their reunion and repairing of their relationship, Dom doesn't need to do anymore with it. And while Nicky might have some bit spots in Ch 30 as well as a supporting role in a future spin off (similar to Ryan and Lacy role), Dom's not going to be writing anything major about Nicky.

Nope, the next story will be about some angst ridden, self-centered, 'I'm oblivious to all the clues right in front of me', gay boy :P

Vic the Domaholic

P.S. - I've re-read Chapter 29 four times already because I love it so much. I wonder if it has to do with the whole 'you know he's straight but you can't help getting whatever kind of affection/attention/emotion you can get from him'. If I were Owen, I'd be smiling so big on the inside knowing that you had that kind of effect on Nicky - you know that he was miserable without you, keeping Owen's seat empty, dumping Anna. That's a lot coming from someone who doesn't want to sleep with you.

...Dom's not going to be writing anything major about Nicky. 

Nope, the next story will be about some angst ridden, self-centered, 'I'm oblivious to all the clues right in front of me', gay boy :P

Vic the Domaholic

Who wudda guessed? :2thumbs:

Hugs,

...Dom's not going to be writing anything major about Nicky. 

Vic the Domaholic

Who wudda guessed? :2thumbs:

Hugs,

As long as there is a pet for me to use to bolster whatever point I wish to make, I'm fine.

:king: Snow Dog

• 2 years later...
As long as there is a pet for me to use to bolster whatever point I wish to make, I'm fine.

:king: Snow Dog

Hmmm, TOSOM had cats but they didn't really play a major role in the story. Valentine does have a recurring role in ITFB. Many times she's played a pivotal role in the courtship between Travis & Dennis.

Take Care®,

Vic