Feedback to authors

OK. I had been wondering about authors getting feedback. How much? How important is it to them? and so on. Recently at least one author offered the lack of feedback about their work as part of their (very understandable and convincing) explanation for giving up writing. So I wanted to know a few things:

• how much feedback do authors get, ie max, min, average
  • how important is it to authors
  • how seriously do authors take readers' suggestions
  • who does it come from (ie, reader demographics but also where readers find the fiction
  • what prompts readers to write to authors

Now, this would be way beyond me to actually do as it's set out there (thought it would finally be a use for all the stats and methodology I've been cramming) so instead I wondered if any of the authors who read this board would like to comment on these questions - maybe giving 'indicative' answers to the questions. I'm happy to do so but since my very first story has only been out there four weeks I don't know how useful that would be.

What do people think? If yes, then which forum?

sumbloke

PS - I've also posted this at crvboy and deweywriter

Edited by sumbloke

For me, the feedback I want is just a euphamism for rave reviews. Call me an egomaniac, but I get the occasional fan mail and it's all I need. If I want feedback, I'll snag myself an editor, which is about as easy to catch here as an albino deer. But that's another story.

Guest kcntx5

OK. I had been wondering about authors getting feedback. How much? How important is it to them? and so on. Recently at least one author offered the lack of feedback about their work as part of their (very understandable and convincing) explanation for giving up writing. So I wanted to know a few things:

• how much feedback do authors get, ie max, min, average
  • how important is it to authors
  • how seriously do authors take readers' suggestions
  • who does it come from (ie, reader demographics but also where readers find the fiction
  • what prompts readers to write to authors

Now, this would be way beyond me to actually do as it's set out there (thought it would finally be a use for all the stats and methodology I've been cramming) so instead I wondered if any of the authors who read this board would like to comment on these questions - maybe giving 'indicative' answers to the questions. I'm happy to do so but since my very first story has only been out there four weeks I don't know how useful that would be.

sumbloke

I've been writing for some time, both fiction and plays, and while I've only had a bit of feedback on my plays, I've had a lot more input on my fiction. I've actually had editors explain why they didn't want it, and I believe that helped me a great deal. I'd re-write the piece using their suggestions, or if I felt it was all right as is, well, I'd just submit it elsewhere.

Now I had one piece of feedback on my plays and while there was some sound advice in it, there was also some heartbreak. The man told me that if I didn't _have_ to write, I shouldn't. Well, I told myself "F**k him! What does he know! He's just an amateur like me." and kept on writing plays anyway. Can't say I've actually _sold_ any, but it's still satifying for me anyway.

Kenneth

As a writer, I treasure constructive criticism. I love feedback, and have been blessed not to have received anything negative (yet) other than the typical 'not quite what we're looking for' response from editors.

I love to read/hear about how my characters have remained with a reader long after the story is done. I experienced that a lot on Literotica, and now with those few who have read The Legacy in its entirety. (Everyone seems to be in love with one of the main characters--Mychael.)

I also love to know what exactly doesn't work, what does work, and what could be better in any given story, whether it's setting, mood, language, character development, etc.

As a reader, I try my best to give the same back to the author.

-Kay

I write chapter by chapter reviews for dkstories Do Over Redux. The author doesn't mind them, and they get read some. I try not to dictate where I think the story should go (although sometimes I fail there), and I try to ensure that the criticism, if any, are constructive.

If in doubt, ask the author first, I'm sure it varies from author to author.

OK.  I had been wondering about authors getting feedback.  How much?  How important is it to them?  and so on.  Recently at least one author offered the lack of feedback about their work as part of their (very understandable and convincing) explanation for giving up writing.  So I wanted to know a few things:

*how important is it to authors

This'll be an interesting one to get responses on. A lot of authors write because they want the feedback. (Or, to be blunt, they want the ego-stroke :) ) There's nothing at all wrong with that, especially since the more traditional method of rewarding authors (that is, cash) generally isn't available on the 'net.

There are some of us who write for other reasons, though. While I can't speak for anyone else, I know I write because I can't not write. Unfortunately this sort of stuff tends to not actually make it out there, or if it does tends not to be finished, since there's less of a push to get the stuff out and, when it is out the drive that's making us write tends not to be something that makes us finish things. (Which, I suppose, is where a bit of ego stroking comes in handy)

Personally, I like in depth reviews the best, even if they are unfavorable. Clearly whomever takes the time to point out certain details, good or bad, has actually read the story and not just as a "to pass the time". I really like those reviews because I can get in touch with them as a reader.

Don't get me wrong, those who post "great story!" or "Keep up the good work" are also enjoyed but I honestly can't connect with those readers.

Nastygrams or outright flames are ignored cause it's just someone who isn't getting laid enough.

Hmm interesting! :boy:

If I have time I am going to try to pull the information in these responses (and those from other boards where I posted the same questions) into a summary. It's maybe time to add my tuppence.

I get basically three kinds of response. The first are the one-liner 'congratulatory' e-mails. I'm getting an average of 3 a day. They don't tell me anything beyond that someone is enjoying the story. They do encourage me though and I have started to try to always send a thank you.

The next are the 'itsux' e-mails. I've had an average of 3 a week all making the same point: the story is too slow and the plot : detail : character-development ratio is wrong. Sometimes these also complain that the Buddhist stuff makes the story to unfamiliar to read easily. I don't mind these - different people like different things and I try to reply civilly unless people have been rude about Buddhism when I just trash the message.

The last lot are the 'tellmeaboutbuddhism' e-mails. This is the largest I get an average of 5 a day and they started the day the first installment of my story was posted. These are people who are complimentary about the story but are more interested in finding out about Buddhism. I reply to these as best I can and I always point out to people that the story isnt' supposed to teach people about Buddhism.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like a lot but it takes up so much time responding! I am so pleased that people write to say they've enjoyed the story that it would be really impolite not to respond but I am thinking that I might have to send standard responses to types one and three - 'thank you and if you are interested in Buddhism please visit...'.

What I don't get is feedback about the writing. Because I don't have anyone else edit it, I frequently find glaring errors of plotting, continuity, grammar, punctuation, spelling: you name it, I've got it wrong somewhere. Nobody ever comments on these. Maybe they are too polite! I haven't had suggestions either about what should/might happen in the story except the general suggestion from people who want more drama. To be honest, suggestive feedback can't really have any effect because the story is essentially complete. There are a few tactical decisions to be made about how to achieve certain things but nothing a reader could know about or comment on.

Thanks to everyone who's responded!

Now, back to school work...

Hi Sumbloke.

It is very important for the unpublished authors to get feed back from there readers thats the only way they know that they are been read, where as published authors get there feed back from there sales of the book.

But in either case feed back from readers are all ways welcome. We all need to be encourage at some point.

Rainbow :D:read: