The generic name in Canada is definitely 'pop'. Most people use the brand name. "Soda pop" will turn up now and then. Soda is usually a reference to 'club soda' - which is expensive carbonated water. If I asked for a 'scotch and soda', I would expect to get a club soda (with the scotch). Personnally, I only add water to scotch, if anything. If you asked for whisky here, you would get Canadian whisky - also called rye whisky. If you want scotch or bourbon, you must use those names

I forget what an Orange Julius is - it has been a while. A guess would be orange flavoured pop with vanilla ice cream. The "soda fountains" of the 50's and 60's have gone the way of the dinosaur.

We have something in Canada called a "beaver tail" Essentially it's a flat piece of pastry covered with cinnamon, sugar and lemon juice - served hot and fresh.

We're metric here in Canada - have been for some time. It drives American tourists to distraction. :lmao: A can of pop here contains 355 mL (milliliters). Gas is sold in liters. The best is atmospheric pressure - that's measured in kilo-pascals. :wacko:

Our paper money is coloured. Americans think they're playing monopoly. We no longer have a $1 or $2 bill. Coins now - Looney and a Tooney - makes great holes in your pockets.

Hugs,

Conner :boy:

Coke-cola was first formulated and sold in Vicksburg, MS. Back then the secret ingredent was just a smidge of cocaine so it became very popular, very fast.

A lot of Mississippians call any soft drink a "coke"... for which they have a strange craving.

For example:

If you yell to cousin Skeeter: "Hey Skeeter, git me a coke", Skeeter might come back with a coke, root beer, orange or grape soda or an RC cola.

However, Skeeter will not bring you Gatoraide as that's called gator-juice and Mountian Dew is that green s***.

Mississippians will probably not understand what "pop" or "soda" is.

We have something in Canada called a "beaver tail"  Essentially it's a flat piece of pastry covered with cinnamon, sugar and lemon juice - served hot and fresh.

In America, beaver tail has an entirely different meaning.

:blink:

It's still served hot and fresh though, right? :lol:

Hugs,

Conner :boy:

That goes with the old joke that the Canadian nickel is the only coin in the world with a beaver on both sides

:king: Snow Dog

For those of you have never heard a traffic report in Chicago it usually goe something like....

45 minutes from the Tri-State to the Loop. 37 minutes from Manheim to the Post office. ECT.....

It can be very confusing if you don't know the area.

Mag

Not only is it confusing at first, but even once you know where these key points are, it is pretty useless to anyone who lives in the middle. Barring some major accident, they never explain WHERE the tie-ups are clustered. Is it stop and go the whole way? Does it clear up after the merge? Who knows?

I think I'll be the first Aussie commenting on this one but here goes.

We refer to drinks by individual name, however if you refer to soda, pop or whatever else you call it colectively their called soft drinks. I personally don't touch the stuff unless it's coke with bourban in it or theres nothing else to drink, I'm to healthy :P

We have highways, expressways, motorways, tunnels, tollways and others, not interstates though, I think thats exclusive to the US.

The one thing that has always annoyed me is American's calling petrol 'gas'. If petrol was a gas I could understand it, however it's a liquid, American's refer to gas as propane, now propane is a gas :huh: confused yet? :P

There are others however I'm to tired to think of them at the moment, my verdict though is keep it simple, call a coke a coke, pepsi a pepsi, sprite a sprite and so on.

Talon :sleep:

For those of you have never heard a traffic report in Chicago it usually goe something like....

45 minutes from the Tri-State to the Loop. 37 minutes from Manheim to the Post office. ECT.....

It can be very confusing if you don't know the area.

Mag

Not only is it confusing at first, but even once you know where these key points are, it is pretty useless to anyone who lives in the middle. Barring some major accident, they never explain WHERE the tie-ups are clustered. Is it stop and go the whole way? Does it clear up after the merge? Who knows?

I know exactly what you mean. I love it when traffic does clear up there is no reasonable explination for the back up. No merge. No accident. But...for some reason I was sitting in traffic for 30 minutes. :huh:

GoBears used to make fun of how I related my travel time in minutes and not miles. But, when it takes me an hour to get to the city and then 20 minutes to get home using the same route miles mean nothing. :blink:

Mag

Mag, I wanted to know the milage because your minutes were often too optimistic, I like to do the math myself, :P

I have to agree about the gas/petrol thing. But here is another that bothers me. 99% of "mechanics" and race fans call an engine a motor. Motors are electrical in nature, engines are gas combustable. So whenever "Skeeter" says that car needs a new motor, I am inclined to ask if it is a windshield wiper motor, :devil:

Another one that bothers me is when people say,"I could care less". Really? How much less could you care? It's, "I COULDN'T care less" people. Oh yeah, "irregardless" is not a word, just say "regardless".

Since I can't Shut Up

:off:

gas/petrol ... gas is an abbreviation for gasoline which is the technical term for a refined version of crude petroleum, and is specifically a fuel for internal combustion engines. To call that liquid we put in our cars "petrol" is failing to distinguish between aviation fuel, diesel fuel, kerosene, or any other petrolium distilate.

I suspect that like the American (and therefore correct or we'll invade you) term, the British term was shortened from "petroleum distilate" to simply "petrol"

Motor/Engine ... to generalize your peeve, an "enigne" is a motion creating device that has the chief combustibles "piped" or delivered to the combution chamber from external storage whereas a "motor" has the combustibles within the combustion chamber itself. Thus, a liquid rocket is an engine, but a solid rocket is a motor. Thus, technically you would have an electric engine because the "combustible" is the electricity which must be delivered from an external source. Although I coul equally argue that the magents are the main combustible, thus it is a motor.

I feel better now.

:king: Snow Dog

Edited by Snow Dog
Another one that bothers me is when people say,"I could care less". Really? How much less could you care? It's, "I COULDN'T care less" people. Oh yeah, "irregardless" is not a word, just say "regardless".

I hate that too!! And depending on my mood and who says it I sometimes can't stop myself from commenting on it. Ooh, you know what else annoys me? When people say 'I would of...' It's not of, it's have!! 'I would have done something, but a monster ate my brain' grrr. Oooh, and when people say that someone asked for something 'pacific' no, I think you'll find they wanted something 'specific' not something ocean related...*ahem* I'll stop.

I hate that too!! And depending on my mood and who says it I sometimes can't stop myself from commenting on it. Ooh, you know what else annoys me? When people say 'I would of...' It's not of, it's have!! 'I would have done something, but a monster ate my brain' grrr. Oooh, and when people say that someone asked for something 'pacific' no, I think you'll find they wanted something 'specific' not something ocean related...*ahem* I'll stop.

How about these...

"I didn't do nothing."

"I don't got one."

"They borrowed me the car."

I don't claim to be an expert of English. As a matter of fact I am horrible at spelling, but I try to speak properly.

Mag