Mag and I have a long running debate. I call it 'soda', she calls it 'pop'. In Texas no matter what brand it is, it is called 'coke'. I tease Mag that in the 'civilized' parts of the country it is called 'soda' and the "country bumpkins" call it 'pop'.

Love ya Mag :wub:

I call it "soda" always have ... always will. Just like my Interstates are titled with the article "the" (i.e. "take the 405" or "the 880") as opposed to the abbreviation "I" (i.e. "take I405" or ...).

I'm sure Vic agrees with me.

:king: Snow Dog

Mag and I have a long running debate. I call it 'soda', she calls it 'pop'. In Texas no matter what brand it is, it is called 'coke'. I tease Mag that in the 'civilized' parts of the country it is called 'soda' and the "country bumpkins" call it 'pop'.

They just call it juice here

My God :huh: , you mean England is worse than Texas? Tell me it isn't so, I wanted to go there one day.

I call it "soda" always have ... always will.  Just like my Interstates are titled with the article "the" (i.e. "take the 405" or "the 880") as opposed to the abbreviation "I" (i.e. "take I405" or  ...).

Oh yeah, she calls them expressways, though there is nothing express about them, I like california, where they are FREEways.

My God :huh: , you mean England is worse than Texas? Tell me it isn't so, I wanted to go there one day.

I guess you don't know Scottish people. Im not from England!!!!!

I guess you don't know Scottish people. Im not from England!!!!!

Don't get you knickers in a twist :P . I knew you were Scottish, for some stupid reason I didn't think you were IN Scotland. I would NEVER have made that mistake normally.

I have the same debate with my wife.  I'm a native Californian, so they were always "Freeways".  In Missouri, they're "highways".  In CA, those who patrol them were Chips, CHP, or the Highway Patrol.  In the midwest, they're "state troopers". 

As for Pop vs. Soda, my personal experience is that the farther north you go, the more likely people are to say "pop".  The pop heartland:  Minnesota and the Dakotas.

That's interesting, because I always thought "pop" was a southern thing. Everyone in WV says it, and I used to, although now I try to make myself say soda in an ongoing effort to not sound like a hick.

I tend to call all big roads interstates, whether it really is or not, and I say state troopers. And Chips made me think of Erik Estrada.

Val

OK I guess I have to reply to this.

I tried to compromise on this by agreeing that it is soda pop so therefore either is correct. However, my hubby is about as stubborn as they come. The only person more stubborn than him is me. As long as he isn't calling it sodie I can deal, but I don't get him a soda when he asks for it. I get him a pop.

As for the Expressways vs. Freeways all I can say is......The taxes in California make me believe they really are not that free and the amount of traffic keeps them from being fast. Here in Chicago taking the Expressways is much faster than taking a local route in which you will be stopped at a traffic light every block.

We have also had an argument about what a beach is. He says if it isn't next to an ocean it is not a beach. Even after I read him the definition from Webster

To add to the confusion....in NJ we have the Garden State Parkway (and some days you do feel like you are parking on it and certainly not driving on it and its a toll road..so nothing free about that)...We also have the New Jersey Turnpike.....and it is always under construction...We also have routes that are highways and highways that are routes....some routes go east to west, some go north to south and some go nowhere...but for some strange reason it seems the highways go west or east but never south or north and the routes go north or south but never go east or west...(except for the famous always jammed Route 3 which goes east or west)

We also have our jughandles (some would say world famous).....and incredibly confusing signs....and traffic circles that only cause more congestion....and accidents.

add to that and in news today, it was announced that the state highway trust fund is broke and will need tons of new taxes to fix roads, bridges, highways, etc....and that they need an audit system probably due to bad management...no kidding.

we call soda "soda" but I used to joke with friends when I was in the Midwest..who call soda "Pop"..which would then make me say that old bad joke... isn't he at home with Ma? but they would joke back that in the East we call buns "rolls" and rolls "buns" and did i want butter with my buns or butter my rolls or buns?

In some parts of the country, soda or pop is called "bubbler" My friends that call soda "pop" tell me that soda is really "seltzer water" or seltzer". I always thought "seltzer water" or 'seltzer" is just that...go figure!

If you are Italian, and I am, we call tomato sauce "gravy" and macaroni is called "pasta"

Salads are eaten after the pasta (although sometimes before and then if done true Italian style, it is called antepaste)

In New Jersey, we call going the beach or the beach "the shore" as in are you "going to the shore today"?

Now, how many have had an egg cream?

I am sure we can add all sorts of fun different words for the same thing.

We have diners in NJ as opposed to restaurants..but we also have restaurants...some other states may think they have diners....trust me, I have eaten in them and they aren't diners....Diners here are open 24/7 and have incredible menus and daily specials for each meal and more desserts then one can dream of (outside of a bakery) and you can get rolls with your buns and buns with your rolls and bread too.

I would love to read more interesting and pretty funny posts and colloquallisms...I bet there are tons in Europe, Canada and other parts of the U.S...no less our friends in Australia.

Michael

Edited by Rocketcnj
I call it "soda" always have ... always will.  Just like my Interstates are titled with the article "the" (i.e. "take the 405" or "the 880") as opposed to the abbreviation "I" (i.e. "take I405" or  ...).

Actually, having spend most of my life in the Chicago area, I call it pop.

And for 'highways' we had names for them , The Dan Ryan, The Kennedy, The Eisenhower.

But I digress, It's pop fools! :P

Oh, and here is a Mizzou-ism. I was visiting a friend in St. Louis and we were dining at White Castle. I ordered a Diet Coke and my friend and the girl at the counter proceed to let me know that they hated Diet Coke, that no one drank Diet Coke, and that the only diet pop they would drink is Diet Dr. Pepper. It was one of those WTF type moments and I was thinking 'You inbred idiots', but since I was planning on sleeping with the friend, I think I just smiled and took the abuse. What are you teaching your people there Mark?

Vic

In the part of the south I live in (along the Gulf Coast), it's neither soda nor pop, it's a "soft drink". In New Orleans, it's a "cold drink". Of course, Barq's is Barq's.

Expressways refer to local divided highways, and in N.O., sometimes to the part of the Interstate that runs through town. Thus, we say "the Interstate", and if you're referring to a specific one, it's usually I-10 or less frequently, the I-10.

BTW, Michael,

Now, how many have had an egg cream?

"How many eggs in an egg cream?" ;)

What can I say ... I went to college with a lot of people from New York.

Kitty :)

and who knows what an Orange Julius is?

Michael

Edited by Rocketcnj

I think people here talk unbelievably weird, but I'm sure they think they same about me. My favorite has to be "yinz." as in "Yinz guys goin' to the Steelers game?" But as far as food and drink, there's a beer, Iron City, which people call "arn." Chipped chopped ham, which I think I call shaved ham. A slice of pizza is a cut, "Two cuts of pepperoni." There's the hoagie, which I always called a sub or just a sandwich. "Imp 'n Arn"-Iron City beer and a shot of Imperial whiskey. Sprinkles (as in little colored candies) are called jimmies. Oh, and this isn't a food one, but it's always puzzled me, a rubber band is a gum band.

Val

I either say soda or coke... I always said soda until I moved to Texas where they have me saying coke. I remember when i first moved here and I asked for a coke and they said "What kind?". and I was like.. wtf?! did I not just ask for a coke? The things Texans do... :wacko:

Actually, having spend most of my life in the Chicago area, I call it pop.

And for 'highways' we had names for them , The Dan Ryan, The Kennedy, The Eisenhower.

But I digress, It's pop fools! :P

Oh, and here is a Mizzou-ism. I was visiting a friend in St. Louis and we were dining at White Castle. I ordered a Diet Coke and my friend and the girl at the counter proceed to let me know that they hated Diet Coke, that no one drank Diet Coke, and that the only diet pop they would drink is Diet Dr. Pepper. It was one of those WTF type moments and I was thinking 'You inbred idiots', but since I was planning on sleeping with the friend, I think I just smiled and took the abuse. What are you teaching your people there Mark?

Vic

Since you don't agree with me, you are wrong, and Diet Dr. Pepper is superior to Diet Coke in many ways

I've lived in a few places and this is what I've actually heard:

1). Ginger-In Wales my grandparents always used this word.

2). Fizz-Wales

4). Pop-Delaware,

5).Soda-Delaware, and when I was stationed in Georgia

6). Coke-when I was stationed in Texas

I never use soda, I just say what I want like "Gimme a sprite"

I grew up in Connecticut, where it was soda, but when I lived in the Boston area, I got used to looking for the supermarket aisle for "tonic". You'd also find tonic at the local "spa" (a small "mom-and-pop" grocery store, akin to a locally owned 7-11).

Because of my proximity to New York, I was used to egg creams and dusty sundaes (ice cream with malt powder on top).

Now the drink that's a real local identifier in New England is the one made with a scoop or two of ice cream, some chocolate syrup, and milk, and then mixed with a blender. Much of the rest of the United States calls this a "milk shake", but in Connecticut, it was a "frosted", in Rhode Island, a "cabinet", and in Massachusetts, a "frappe".

--Rigel

• Site Administrator

Lol. It's Soda.

It's funny... the line for this is in the middle of upstate New York. In Syracuse, its all soda. In Rochester (home of Eastman Kodak and Xerox, among other things) and west it is Pop.

Of course I know what an egg cream is. Then again, my folks were still getting seltzer bottles (yes, the glass spritz ones) delivered by the seltzer man until this past year! They only stopped this year because they moved out of NYC.

And of course, it's soda...except to all these Midwestern dorks in Ruleland.