Winter Rose by Dolores Esteban

• Site Administrator

Winter Rose by Dolores Esteban

As long as you live, shine; / Let nothing grieve you beyond measure. / For your life is short, / and time will claim its toll (Seikilos)

Make the most of current opportunities because life is short and time is fleeting.It's not always easy for George to seize the day.

:nuke: :nuke: Spoilers Below!!! :nuke: :nuke:

Winter Rose

by Dolores Esteban

**Spoilers**

I really enjoyed the structure of this story! I loved the way each new scene beautifully contrasted with the previous scene and indeed I very much enjoyed how often the very same line was used for a much different effect. I think that that very well illustrates the changes that take place over the course of George's life. In the end Dolores masterfully bring the whole thing full circle by pointing us back to the beginning of the piece. Well done! :D

I also very much enjoyed the message that this story tells and I think that the idea of using brief snippets from George's entire life as the structure of the piece is very clever and well executed. I also enjoyed all the Latin and I think that not only did the story's theme stick with "Carpe Diem" but that more 'flavour' was added by all the Latin phrases.

Excellent job, Dolores!

-Kevin

Dolores,

You really grabbed my attention in the beginning with George and his brother. And it didn't just stop there, you continued to hold my attention throughout the entire story. It was wonderfully written. I enjoyed reading and seeing how George changed as he got older.

The Latin phrases were great as well, makes me want to go out and learn some.

Great Job :2thumbs:

Thanks for the reviews. I'm happy you enjoyed my story. :)

I'd like to thank Kevin for reviewing my submission and spotting some stupid mistakes. Many thanks to Graeme for fixing them. :)

Many thanks to my readers. I hope you enjoy.

I love the GA Anthologies. I look forward to reading all the stories.

Dolores

I love the GA Anthologies. I look forward to reading all the stories.

Dolores

As do I, it's great to see the many different styles and ideas that each author comes up with, and I'm glad to be able to read all these great stories.

What an intense story, it grabbed my attention and held it all the way to the end. :wub:

Yet, I pity George for his behavior and the lesson he perhaps learned a bit to late. However, I'm glad that he learned the lesson. Definitely a gripping read.

Regards,

Jon

Perhaps the single greatest requirement of a good story is that it grabs your attention and keeps you involved. This story had that essential quality. One wonders about the gaps - e.g. what could have happened to make George treat his ex lover so badly? However, I agree with what Kevin said about the clever structure that kept the story flowing smoothly across those gaps in time.

It's a long time since I studied Latin, but the story brought back many memories. It's a long time since I read much poetry, possibly because reading poetry requires effort and I'm essentially very lazy. However, this story brought back memories of a time when I read lots of it. Thus the bitter-sweet journey of George's life found a resonance with me.

Thank you!

:)

Kit

• Site Administrator

Great story Dolores :great: .

I have to admit that I have never been a big fan of poetry (probably because I have never given it an honest look), but what you inserted into this story was brief and too the point. I believe the way you blended the poetry, with language (Latin) and the story all together was perfect. I was able to follow along and enjoy the story from start to finish.

I feel for George, but on the other hand I feel for all the others that he may have hurt over his life. I'm not sure if it would be considered a happy story or not, but with the ending I felt George may have finally found the peace in a relationship that he may not have had before.

Well done.

I loved this story.

I usually avoid poetry, but it's use in this case was succinct and inspired. It fit beautifully, and made the story richer.

Thank you, Dolores Estiban, for a great story.