Happy Canada Day!

Conner

Happy Canada Day to all Canadians at GA.

Canada Day is the annual celebration of the confederation of Canada back in 1867. It's our July 4th.

We're much younger than our American neighbours. :P

Hey, as a country we're younger, but technically we're much older. Quebec City just celebrated its 400th anniversary this year. How many places in the States can say that?

And Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians! Happy Moving Day to my fellow Montrealers. Happy Free Agency Day to my fellow hockey fans.

Hey, as a country we're younger, but technically we're much older. Quebec City just celebrated its 400th anniversary this year. How many places in the States can say that?

Bah! That just proves that the Canadian pioneers were too lazy, or too outnumbered, to declare their independence earlier... :P

Nah, that's just typical American melodrama. See, you guys decide you want a country, you have to go out all rah-rah with your guns and your battle cries of freedom or death. We decide we want a country, we just say ask nicely and mind our Ps and Qs. Much less messy that way.

And no one bothered to wish us a Bonne St-Jean as well? I think it's more fun. :rolleyes:

Happy Canada Day. :P

Erm... Quebec celebrated its anniversary last year. 1608-2008. I was there to celebrate for a little bit. :P

In the USA

-San Juan, PR (1521)

-St. Augustine, FL (1565)

-Santa Fe, NM (1607)

-Jamestown, VI (1607)

In Canada

-St. John's, NL (1541)

-Tadoussac, QC (1600)

-Port Royal, NS (1605)

-Quebec City, QC (1608)

The USA is just as old as Canada. There's more than just English history... but also French and Spanish. We have four settlements founded before Quebec City and Canada... just three... So we beat you by one. However, considering that Jamestown was briefly abandoned during the 18th century, we're pretty much even. :P

Edited by Jack Frost

Nah, that's just typical American melodrama. See, you guys decide you want a country, you have to go out all rah-rah with your guns and your battle cries of freedom or death. We decide we want a country, we just say ask nicely and mind our Ps and Qs. Much less messy that way.

That's so true and f**king hilarious at the same time! :D

That's so true and f**king hilarious at the same time! :D

Yeah...'uh, wasn't Canada a French colony to start out? Then got purchased by the english King at some point? (Which means they were sold out by France) Poor little Canada, not wanted by mother France...tsk, tsk, tsk! :P

Don't take it wrong...it's pretty up there...but too damn cold in the winter time for my--now--aging joints... :blink:

Yeah...'uh, wasn't Canada a French colony to start out? Then got purchased by the english King at some point? (Which means they were sold out by France) Poor little Canada, not wanted by mother France...tsk, tsk, tsk! :P

Don't take it wrong...it's pretty up there...but too damn cold in the winter time for my--now--aging joints... :blink:

Well that's not exactly how things went. Actually, French Canada was conquered by the British (and Americans) during the Seven Years War (in Europe) or French and Indian War (as it was known over here in the colonies). As a result of the treaty ending that war, France ceded Canada to England (which cost France little from a national wealth standpoint). Of course, the lack of a French threat then emboldened those pesky American Colonists to revolt in 1775.

Well that's not exactly how things went. Actually, French Canada was conquered by the British (and Americans) during the Seven Years War (in Europe) or French and Indian War (as it was known over here in the colonies). As a result of the treaty ending that war, France ceded Canada to England (which cost France little from a national wealth standpoint). Of course, the lack of a French threat then emboldened those pesky American Colonists to revolt in 1775.

Here's one of the biggest "what if" of the era, what if the US had been successful in the Canadian campaign? A unified North American continent. During the American Revolution and War of 1812; the colonist were not just fighting purely defensive wars, but they had their own mini-offensives in Canada. There is even a historical interpretation of the war of 1812 as being a war for the conquest of Canada by the US.

Originally, Ohio and Michigan was part of Canadian territory before the wars and negotiations for the land during the Paris peace conference, interesting since they are the home of the US auto industry.

Happy independence Day Canada, the first nation to defeat US expansionist dreams. :D

Sigh... this reminds me of the time I spend in Newfoundland a few years ago.... it was amazing. I think that Canada is a wonderful place to live.... the pace of life... the cost of living... the peolple... but why does wine have to be so damned expensive?

Sigh... this reminds me of the time I spend in Newfoundland a few years ago.... it was amazing. I think that Canada is a wonderful place to live.... the pace of life... the cost of living... the peolple... but why does wine have to be so damned expensive?

Been to Canada, and perused my fair share of wine lists...when we're travelling, I don't mind a drink now and then. Ninety-nine percent plus, of Canada's wine selection is imported, and the part that isn't imported is not from large wineries, but smaller, local concerns producing limited varieties and quantities for local restaurants in their own area. Combine this with a short growing season (brr!) and cost becomes an issue.

Even accounting for USD to CAD, the prices are higher for wines from as close as California...one of my favorites is about USD17 locally, and was CAD34 (at the time equivalent to about USD50)...so things like shipping, duties, VAT and sales tax add up quickly.

Edited by kjames

Been to Canada, and perused my fair share of wine lists...when we're travelling, I don't mind a drink now and then. Ninety-nine percent plus, of Canada's wine selection is imported, and the part that isn't imported is not from large wineries, but smaller, local concerns producing limited varieties and quantities for local restaurants in their own area. Combine this with a short growing season (brr!) and cost becomes an issue.

Even accounting for USD to CAD, the prices are higher for wines from as close as California...one of my favorites is about USD17 locally, and was CAD34 (at the time equivalent to about USD50)...so things like shipping, duties, VAT and sales tax add up quickly.

Makes sense. Shame though.... althought the whiskey was only slightly more expensive than the wine so I didn't suffer too much. :)

It's because the provincial governments impose hefty taxes on alcohol, and maintain distribution monopolies (or something close). That said, there's still plenty of good, inexpensive wine available, if you know what to buy. For instance, in Quebec, the SAQ keeps a very good, varied stock of French wine, but a lot of the New World wines are more expensive and harder to find. In Ontario it's the opposite at the LCBO, to an extent.

Here's one of the biggest "what if" of the era, what if the US had been successful in the Canadian campaign? A unified North American continent. During the American Revolution and War of 1812; the colonist were not just fighting purely defensive wars, but they had their own mini-offensives in Canada. There is even a historical interpretation of the war of 1812 as being a war for the conquest of Canada by the US.

The US should be very glad that it doesn't have to deal with the "Quebec problem".

We've been causing major violent headaches since the Conquest of 1759. :)

Edited by Jack Frost