Message Board Topic 10/19

Every author that writes a story for others to read has a certain attachment to it. And rightfully so, I mean it takes a lot of heart and hard work to put your inner thoughts and feelings out there for other people to see. It is, for all intents and purposes, a part of your 'soul'.

But what happens when you look elsewhere online and see your work pawned off as somebody else's? Either they just stole your idea, or took your name off and posted it as their own? Or maybe they just plain took your story and added it to their pay site for profits without telling anybody? What do you do? How does an author go about getting credit for his work and putting an end to having their 'soul' stolen?

Or...has the damage already been done? Maybe it doesn't matter as much to you personally, or maybe you feel disconnected from it once it's released?

Whatever your feelings, let us know! I can honestly say that I've been the victim of all three scenarios over time, and probably some that I don't even know about yet. So tell me..what would you do?

• Site Administrator

The first thing is that the law is on your side. You don't have to do anything in most Western countries to have copyright of any stories you write.

Assuming you find your story on an unauthorised website, contact the administrator of that site. If you can't find an email address, try webmaster@<domain name>. Alternatively, go to the "who is" website and find out who the site is registered to and contact them.

From there, it depends on how much effort you want to go to. Since the law is on your side, a letter from a lawyer will usually get the story taken off the unauthorised site.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I would freak. I'm not sure in what sense as, thus far, it hasn't happened to me yet. It could be conceived as flattery, but I doubt that would be my reaction. As you have pointed out it's like an author having "their 'soul' stolen" It isn't fair to the actual writer or the readers, and it's not exactly doing much for the stealer of souls either. If it were me, I'd be embarrassed and ashamed at the mere thought. I'm cannot even begin to fathom what such a person would be looking to achieve. :/

:hug:

Hehehe, I don't usually 'name names'....

But the most 'recent' occurrence was this one on Nifty...

"Pretty Monsters"

http://www.nifty.org/nifty/gay/highschool/pretty-monsters/pretty-monsters-1.pdf

And this is my story, "Pretty Poison"

http://comicality.gayauthors.org/pretty/pretty1.php

Hehehe, could be a coincidence, right? :P

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..