Shoes

Currently my boyfriend wears a t-shirt, 10 year old board shorts and running shoes EVERYWHERE.

Recently he admitted that he needs to update his wardrobe and implied that I'll basically be choosing it, which, for non-shoe clothing I'm fine with.

My problem is my lack of knowledge regarding male footwear. I suggested thongs (flip-flops!!!) but he says he doesn't like the way you have to grip them with your toes. He wants this kind of thing: http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00ceUElfFBCRkmM/Men-s-Sandals-TW026-.jpg or crocs but I think they are both hideous, especially because he has huge feet.

So the question is: can anyone suggest a shoe for summer that isn't hideous, overly expensive and that you don't have to grip with your toes? :blink:

• Site Administrator

Currently my boyfriend wears a t-shirt, 10 year old board shorts and running shoes EVERYWHERE.

Recently he admitted that he needs to update his wardrobe and implied that I'll basically be choosing it, which, for non-shoe clothing I'm fine with.

My problem is my lack of knowledge regarding male footwear. I suggested thongs (flip-flops!!!) but he says he doesn't like the way you have to grip them with your toes. He wants this kind of thing: http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00ceUElfFBCRkmM/Men-s-Sandals-TW026-.jpg or crocs but I think they are both hideous, especially because he has huge feet.

So the question is: can anyone suggest a shoe for summer that isn't hideous, overly expensive and that you don't have to grip with your toes? :blink:

Crocs are dangerous, and I think they look ugly, too, but I liked the sandals you linked to, or variations that use a similar structure of a strap over the front of the foot, a strap over the top of the foot, and a strap behind the heel. I bought a pair for myself when I was in Queensland in September, and also a pair for my youngest son. They're comfortable, easy to wear, and your feet don't stink at the end of the day. They are, however, definitely for casual wear only, so a pair of running shoes as an alternative would be a good idea (though you also asked for not overly expensive, and I know how much running shoes cost in Australia....)

So, speaking as a practical male with almost no fashion sense, I'd suggest you buy him what he asked for :P

PS: And I also agree with your boyfriend on thongs -- I used to wear them all the time when I was a kid, but they really are bad for the feet.

Edited by Graeme

I have sandals like that too - and they're not hideous! :D They come in various tones, so you can choose the one you dislike the less... ;) Graeme has already talked about the biggest advantages of these shoes. :)

Crocs are dangerous, and I think they look ugly, too, but I liked the sandals you linked to, or variations that use a similar structure of a strap over the front of the foot, a strap over the top of the foot, and a strap behind the heel. I bought a pair for myself when I was in Queensland in September, and also a pair for my youngest son. They're comfortable, easy to wear, and your feet don't stink at the end of the day. They are, however, definitely for casual wear only, so a pair of running shoes as an alternative would be a good idea (though you also asked for not overly expensive, and I know how much running shoes cost in Australia....)

So, speaking as a practical male with almost no fashion sense, I'd suggest you buy him what he asked for :P

PS: And I also agree with your boyfriend on thongs -- I used to wear them all the time when I was a kid, but they really are bad for the feet.

I dont know how you were wearing your thongs! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thong_%28clothing%29 :P

If you do buy those shoes which basically just strap your feet to a sole, get ones where the sole does not extend too far past the toe end of your foot. If your foot is suddenly a few centimetres longer it actually makes walking really dangerous - you trip up all the time when you forget to lift your foot a bit higher and the sole catches on the ground. This is especially true up or down stairs; the sole catches on the edge of the tread as youre climbing them, tripping you up, and when coming down makes it easier to slip off the edge of a step if you dont quite place your foot right, sending you flying.

Edited by Xeran
  • Site Administrator

I'm actually a girl who doesn't do shoes. My husband does wear those "sport" sandals..oh, and the slip on ones that have the big wide strap that goes across the top of your foot behind your toes..but he wears shorts year round, not a good fashion plate to follow. ;)

• 1 month later...

please please please no no no! haha. i cannot stand crocs...or those like athletic sandal things...my one situation where i will stand for it: you are hiking/backpacking...haha...depending on the person birkenstocks. maybe a little expensive for some people...but there's no denying they're durable! although, i don't think they're for everyone. i hate thong sandals too, but most people like them! has he tried some that are a little nicer? they actually are more comfortable than the really cheap ones. there are those rainbow ones that everyone i know loves. apparently havainas are comfortable like no other, but i just can get into them...

...i'm a bit obsessed with fashion, and a lot of runway shows for men are showing gladiator-esque sandals that i really like...but what's wrong with sneakers?

maybe he can start wearing regular shorts? i'm assuming board shorts as in like swimming stuff? unless he's actually on the beach or by the pool...avoid cargo shorts...well, i guess there are worse things for him to wear...haha. pleaseeeeee no crocs. please please please.

Alright, I'll bite on this one.

1. Why are Crocs dangerous?

2. The shoes you guys showed (sorry Nephy) are totally, well, gay. Straight guys aren't going to wear them.

3. Straight guys wear comfortable shoes, like flip-flops, and TEVA sandals, tennis shoes, or they go barefoot. They aren't going to wear sockless Wejuns, unless you find yourself with a Preppie. Even then, he's more likely to wear Topsiders with no socks.

So get him the spots sandals he wants. They're comfortable, durable, and you can hike/float/raft/f**k with them on.

topsiders hell yeah, sperry sperry! with no socks is not gay at all, its awesome and goes with everything

i wear puma sometimes and i have a pair of converse, nothing is wrong with converse and maybe a gnarly pair of high tops, but nothing like obnoxious.i also have a ton of skate shoes, even though I don't skate. but they sure are q t pie

ok, go down to your local Foot Locker, and pick up a pair of each of the following:

Thongs: The cheaper and nastier, the better. Comfort has never been a consideration when choosing a pair of thongs, and while strap-on sandals are most definitely a more comfortable alternative, the only 'men' who would dare to wear such things are either married, over-45, European, or all three of the aforementioned.

Cheap, nasty, dodgy, ill-fitting, blister-inducing, smelly, dirty, falling apart thongs are a rite of passage for men all over the world, and are a must in any Australian wardrobe.

(I own two pairs)

Adidas Superstars: It's often alleged that Jesus chose bare feet because he couldn't find a pair of Superstars in his size. No joke, Superstars are that good. I wouldn't recommend them with shorts (as some colourways can be hit/miss), but I've yet to see a pair of Superstars that doesn't look a million bucks with a pair of jeans.

(I own three pairs)

Dunlop Volleys: Cheap as chips, but durable as hell. Made from the same stuff that keeps your car on the road, a good pair of Volleys can last you many, many years.

(I own two pairs)

Vans: The skater alternative to Volleys. Personally, I hate them, but still own a white pair nonetheless.

Nike Air Max: Sex. Oh my God, sex. I cannot recommend Air Max 90s highly enough. However, they do come with a warning: buy your boyfriend Air Max 90s, and he might actually leave you to start a relationship with them.

(I only own one pair, but sweet Jesus they are the best pair of shoes in my collection)

Chuck Taylors: My fourth grade teacher owned two pairs of Chuck Taylors. On Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays, he wore a red one on his left foot, and a blue one on his right. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, he reversed this pattern.

Legend.

Having said that, Chuck Taylors have absolutely no technology in them, will destroy your ankles, fall apart at the drop of a hat, look like shit in most situations (i.e. with skinny jeans) and are extremely popular with scene kids. On that basis I cannot, and will not recommend them.

(I do not own a pair, and will never own a pair. They are shit.)

DCs and Etnies: Skating by numbers, really. Everyone's owned a pair at some point. Can be overpriced, but can also be worn well past their use-by date.

(My only pair are in landfill somewhere)

Puma Future Cats: This may sound like exaggeration... but a well-fitting pair of Future Cats literally feel like you're wearing nothing at all. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant shoes.

(I actually own the pair in that link.)

and since you asked, I own more shoes than every girl I know (18 pairs).

and I also admit to being a total faggot sad.gif

but that's beside the point, really.

• Like 1

Alright, I'll bite on this one.

1. Why are Crocs dangerous?

2. The shoes you guys showed (sorry Nephy) are totally, well, gay. Straight guys aren't going to wear them.

1. Crocs are extremely fashion-sense-wise dangerous. Most hideous of all time.

2. No, they're not gay. And straight guys wear them.

Thongs: The cheaper and nastier, the better. Comfort has never been a consideration when choosing a pair of thongs, and while strap-on sandals are most definitely a more comfortable alternative, the only 'men' who would dare to wear such things are either married, over-45, European, or all three of the aforementioned.

Cheap, nasty, dodgy, ill-fitting, blister-inducing, smelly, dirty, falling apart thongs are a rite of passage for men all over the world, and are a must in any Australian wardrobe.

(I own two pairs)

Vans: The skater alternative to Volleys. Personally, I hate them, but still own a white pair nonetheless.

Chuck Taylors: My fourth grade teacher owned two pairs of Chuck Taylors. On Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays, he wore a red one on his left foot, and a blue one on his right. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, he reversed this pattern.

Legend.

Having said that, Chuck Taylors have absolutely no technology in them, will destroy your ankles, fall apart at the drop of a hat, look like shit in most situations (i.e. with skinny jeans) and are extremely popular with scene kids. On that basis I cannot, and will not recommend them.

(I do not own a pair, and will never own a pair. They are shit.)

Flip-flops are just perfect, I'll say.

Vans are okay.

And just saying, Chuck Taylors are the ones I'd recommend anytime anyone asks me about shoes. They're not shit, Matt.

Anyway. Barefoot is the operative word for me in summer.

• Like 1

1. Crocs are extremely fashion-sense-wise dangerous. Most hideous of all time.

2. No, they're not gay. And straight guys wear them.

I agree with you on #1, but sorry, I have to agree with Mark on #2. At least here in the midwest USA, those would not be worn by a straight guy.

My husband doesn't wear any kind of flip-flops or slip-on shoes without socks out in public (only just like out to grab the newspaper or something) so I don't have any suggestions. He wears tennis shoes, usually Nike.

I agree with you on #1, but sorry, I have to agree with Mark on #2.

My husband doesn't wear any kind of flip-flops or slip-on shoes without socks out in public (only just like out to grab the newspaper or something) so I don't have any suggestions. He wears tennis shoes, usually Nike.

At least we agree on something, which is a big no no on my fashion list.

I suggest all wear shoes without socks with slip-on's. Showing off the sexy ankle.

And it's also part of the 'Toes-Freeing Movement', which is led by moi and includes wearing flip-flops and barefoot-ed, even in winter.

I agree with you on #1, but sorry, I have to agree with Mark on #2. At least here in the midwest USA, those would not be worn by a straight guy.

Crocs are handy to have around. I've got a pair I slip on to take the dog out. Beyond that, they don't go with me in public. I was just wondering what made them dangerous. Like if the gel in them morphed into an evil creature that eats your foot. tongue.gif It could happen. jerry.gif

Unless you have a metrosexual on your hands, Jenni's right. Her husband probably reflects the norm.

Guest cia's husband

Well I have 3 pairs of shoes. Tennis shoes flip flops and work boots. What more do you need?

Guest cia's husband

I'm actually a girl who doesn't do shoes. My husband does wear those "sport" sandals..oh, and the slip on ones that have the big wide strap that goes across the top of your foot behind your toes..but he wears shorts year round, not a good fashion plate to follow. wink.gif

I am what I am. Plus you married me!!!!!!!!

Dunlop Volleys: Cheap as chips, but durable as hell. Made from the same stuff that keeps your car on the road, a good pair of Volleys can last you many, many years.

(I own two pairs)

You can also buy a laceless version of volleys that look similar to vans, but are that much better.

A pair of volleys will work wonders, and even the Chuck Taylors aren't that bad