Cat from hell

Rambo was a kitten that my Mom adopted after a stray had a litter in her garage. He's a gray tabby and he got his name from his generally rambunctious nature.

Rambo was an active kitten born this past April. He alternates from sweet angle to hideous demonic cat-beast almost instantly.

Rambo is a biter and he likes to play rough. You had better pay attention to him or he'll eat you up. Sometimes he attacks your ankles.

As a kitten on a vet visit he scratched a vet on the nose. I call him a vampire cat because he appears to like the taste of blood.

Tonight he made my Mom fall (she's 82). She is OK but Rambo is about to be homeless. I'm afraid that this cat has to go.

Is there such a thing as a hyper-active cat? Is there something like kitty Ritalin?

He's not a mean cat but he plays all the time and he plays rough. Too rough to be around an 80 year old lady.

I've gotten to where I can't stand the site of the little b****** and my Mom had to talk me out of taking the fuzzy little creep on a one way ride into the country.

For some reason my Mom likes the cat and doesn't want to part with it but it bites and scratches her and I'm afraid that he'll make her fall and break a hip.

Please: what can I do with this cat besides ring it's spoiled neck?

PS- I used to like cats but after a dose of this devil I never want to have one again.

There are some Valium type type medicines to calm animals so I think there probably is some kind of sedative that would work. You should probably ask at your local vet's office. There are also online pet pharmacies like 1800petmeds.com which list their products by category. You may get some ideas there.

He's still a kitten, not a year old yet. He'll grow out of it but you're right, in the meantime he's dangerous. Is there no way you can temporarily re home him until he calms down? Otherwise the only option appears to be permanently re homing him. It just isn't safe to have your mother and the cat in the same home no matter how much she loves him and I would be very uneasy with suggesting drugging an animal.

In my opinion, you have two options - put the cat out to a rescue or something and if that's totally unacceptable to your mom get the cat a companion so its focus isn't on her. Cats are social - if there is no other cat or person in the house, your mom is the 'go to' person for everything the cat needs socially. Getting the cat a pal will change that focus.

And I'd look at getting the cats claws capped if scratching is an issue.

And I don't think using drugs is good: its one more thing your mom has to remember to do, and its nothing but a really short term fix. A drugged cat is really nothing more than a really nice wax applicator for your car.

And there is something to be said for little oven mitts although I can't BELIEVE Tomon suggested wrapping your mom in duct tape. Sheesh.

My Mom and I are trading cats.

She gets Boo, I get the brat.

Problem solved but now I've got a cat that hates me.

Stare at it a lot, growl and hiss when it does something wrong and whatever you do don't yawn.

James, James, my dear beast....one thing about cats is that they are sociable creatures--yes, sociable. Growing up in a litter of cats presents them with housemates while maturing. What your mother has in this little gray ball of fluff is an, as yet, unsocialized kit. It needs to be held, petted, played with, and trained. (YES, CATS CAN BE TRAINED!) Cats cannot grow up around older folks, they have to be played with, and if you don't declaw them it can seem rough at times.

I have had my current cat, an only survivor of his litter (more later) for 16 1/2 years this week (a commitment gift), he's a siamese mix, or burmese possibly--it would explain his heavier build--with tabby, the mother was a calico. We got him at weaning at 6 weeks, and he wasn't exposed to other animals for several months, just me and Rob (mainly me). Here's the socialization: The litter had milk fever, including momma, 9 cats died there, plus an additional 5 in the house of the person we got him from. I medicated him three times a day and fed him liver paste through a syringe 5 times a day for 3 weeks until he got his strength back. Now, he follows me around like a puppydog, yowls when he doesn't know if we're home, and rolls on the floor like a kitten when he knows we are.

We had another cat who was a door darter and managed to get out, probably caught by animal control and given a new home (hopefully). Prior to these two, my mom and I had a cat for 6 years before he was eaten by coyotes, then another one for 18--she ended up being mom's cat and got old enough to be put down a couple years ago because of recurring CHF. My last pair of cats were of the same mother, and were with me for 10 years before we gave them away in 1978--we moved to a place that didn't allow pets.

Long and short: You can't expect your cat to know what you expect of it if you aren't willing to work with it, play with it and teach it. (Now do you see why people refer to their pets as, "Their kids"?)

Edited by kjames

All cats are hell-born. Succubus of the kingdom animalia.

This has been "A world full of evil," with your host, rknapp. Tune in next week when we discuss the dangers of women, succubus of Homo sapiens.

*DISCLAIMER* We were discussing my old roommates recent choice in women, being his boss's daughter. Suffice it to say, "succubus" and "harlot" appeared a number of times.

Cat psychology :)

Sadly- with this cat it's cat psychosis.

Last night while I was working on chapter 23 of Twilight, he climbed my back (Ouch- now I'm see stars), took a bite of my ear, drank out of my glass and vanished.

Somebody taught the little b&^%&*(> guerrilla tactics.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to negotiate a truce.

Last night while I was working on chapter 23 of Twilight, he climbed my back (Ouch- now I'm see stars), took a bite of my ear, drank out of my glass and vanished.

Was the cat born of a litter in your mom's house, or did she--possibly--get it from someone else when it was too early to separate it from its mother?

Rambo was part of a litter that a stray had on my Mom's garage. The rest went to a shelter but she wouldn't part with this kitten. He was 8 weeks old and not separated too early.

So he was a feral kitten...difficult, but not impossible. Cats domesticated themselves, we just provided additional training to speed up and enhance the process...give it time and effort, he may end up being your best cat yet.

I hope you can negotiate with that cat.

Even my own Hero was starting to scratch and bite during even gentle play, so the corrective action was to bite him back enough to get his attention. To this day, his bites don't break skin, and don't leave a mark, and his claws--all 22 of them--never scratch.

You could poison it, if it is necessary.

Shame on you...intense training and a lot of human socialization will rid the little furball of most of those animalistic terrorist tendencies...also, another cat around would help with this--especially one already socialized to humans--as cats will learn behaviors from other cats much the way human children do.