A Couple of True New Englanders

I have no clue what any of that meant, but I'm glad it's funny to New Englanders!

There are a few things all Hoosiers would know that others wouldn't, I suppose, like the name of the real town that the movie Hoosiers was based on (Milan).

Whaaa? asks the clueless Southerner drinking ice tea and sweating in November.

laugh.gif LMAO! I had a feeling most people wouldn't get it! I guess it's truely a native New Englander type of thing. Wicked! tongue.gif

And James, we freeze our asses off in November! tongue.gif

Edited by TetRefine
  • Site Administrator

I spent summers on the East coast...so I get it. I have to tell you though, came back to the Pacific NW and asked for jimmies on ice cream. Yeah. Dumb stares, like waaaah??? sooo annoying.

It was disturbing to me over Thanksgiving weekend--I was in a restaurant in Williamstown, Mass., (in the extreme Northwest corner of Massachusetts) and they had "milkshakes" on the menu. I asked if they were frappes or just milkshakes; the poor waitress said she was from Texas and didn't know what I was referring to. I had to conclude that Williamstown is too close to Albany, N.Y. and too far from Boston, Mass.

To explain to you confused non-New-Englanders: take two scoops of ice cream, some syrup (probably chocolate) and some milk, and put them in a blender. In the Boston area, that's a frappe; in Rhode Island, it's a cabinet; in Connecticut, it's a frosted. If you're not from New England, you might call it a "milkshake", but there's lots of places in New England that will make you a milkshake, New England style--milk and syrup in the blender but NO ICE CREAM. This restaurant just wasn't New England.

Actually, there's lots of local terms in New England; the "packy" referred to in the ad is a "package store"--some folks call them liquor stores or bottle shops. In Connecticut, they are always called "package stores," and the term is sometimes used in Massachusetts as well. The term "packy" is actually of fairly recent coinage. But that's why they ask for ID--proof of age before they sell you booze.

Manhattan chowder is red and vegetable based; New England chowder is white and milk-based. I remember one waiter at a restaurant in Boston--I asked if their chowder was New England style, and he said he'd be lynched if it was any other way.

The Blizzard of '78 was spectacular in New England. The snow drifts I walked through came up to my shoulders, and snow hadn't come up to my shoulders since my shoulders were a lot closer to the ground when I was but a youngster.

"Jimmies" are the sprinkles some folks put on ice cream.

Newman's Own was started by the actor Paul Newman, a long-time resident of Westport, Connecticut.

--Rigel, proud New Englander expat

It was disturbing to me over Thanksgiving weekend--I was in a restaurant in Williamstown, Mass., (in the extreme Northwest corner of Massachusetts) and they had "milkshakes" on the menu. I asked if they were frappes or just milkshakes; the poor waitress said she was from Texas and didn't know what I was referring to. I had to conclude that Williamstown is too close to Albany, N.Y. and too far from Boston, Mass.

To explain to you confused non-New-Englanders: take two scoops of ice cream, some syrup (probably chocolate) and some milk, and put them in a blender. In the Boston area, that's a frappe; in Rhode Island, it's a cabinet; in Connecticut, it's a frosted. If you're not from New England, you might call it a "milkshake", but there's lots of places in New England that will make you a milkshake, New England style--milk and syrup in the blender but NO ICE CREAM. This restaurant just wasn't New England.

Actually, there's lots of local terms in New England; the "packy" referred to in the ad is a "package store"--some folks call them liquor stores or bottle shops. In Connecticut, they are always called "package stores," and the term is sometimes used in Massachusetts as well. The term "packy" is actually of fairly recent coinage. But that's why they ask for ID--proof of age before they sell you booze.

Manhattan chowder is red and vegetable based; New England chowder is white and milk-based. I remember one waiter at a restaurant in Boston--I asked if their chowder was New England style, and he said he'd be lynched if it was any other way.

The Blizzard of '78 was spectacular in New England. The snow drifts I walked through came up to my shoulders, and snow hadn't come up to my shoulders since my shoulders were a lot closer to the ground when I was but a youngster.

"Jimmies" are the sprinkles some folks put on ice cream.

Newman's Own was started by the actor Paul Newman, a long-time resident of Westport, Connecticut.

--Rigel, proud New Englander expat

Omg!!! I'm planning on going to Williams !!! I was in Williamstown a few months ago, lol it's only a road :P Aahh, and my best friend lives in Westport!!!

But I only got half the stuff. Besides Southwestern Conn is not really considered New England :P

Omg!!! I'm planning on going to Williams !!! I was in Williamstown a few months ago, lol it's only a road :P Aahh, and my best friend lives in Westport!!!

But I only got half the stuff. Besides Southwestern Conn is not really considered New England :P

Southwestern Connecticut is basically a suburb of New York City, like the entire state of New Jersey. :P

I get it and there's a large deal of differences in geography. When I visited my cousin in Michigan, it was so odd to get adjusted to their local stuff, because Boston and New York have a different way of doing things compared to smaller communities.

By the way, James, I'm setting up an ice bath to cool you down.