Open Club  ·  283 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

HMS Belvidera

Put up your dukes!

You should be shot or face the Gunner's daughter for that one, Ricky. But yes, I laughed! :lol:

Winkler's sense of humour is certainly coming along! Just love it! :2thumbs:

Mr. Robey lives!!! :music::wub: Travers will certainly show Granger his appreciation. 0:) Hopefully before they're both Admirals and can't remember how to show appreciation. :D

Absolutely a splendid chapter, Mark! :worship::worship:

Really enjoyed the latest chapter, I think this story just gets better and better. Granger does seem to have a talent for meeting and helping those in positions of power or connected to a position of power. This is something that will always serve him well. His instincts are excellent. Although, Spain and Britian will soon be at war because of those damn French, LOL, I have to think that Granger will get a good welcome in Spain no matter what... I know this story because of the historical factors involved is harder and more time consuming to write but I treasure each and every chapter and look forward to the next.

B) B) B) B) B) Staying cool and collected til the next one... Keep up the great work Mark....

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I think it's cool that there was a code of honor that transcended the war at times, so it's fun to show it. There's an incident that I'll include in the next story where Nelson actually asks for the return of his officers and men captured by the Spaniards, and they release them.

You should be shot or face the Gunner's daughter for that one, Ricky. But yes, I laughed! :lol:

Winkler's sense of humour is certainly coming along! Just love it! :2thumbs:

Mr. Robey lives!!! :music::wub: Travers will certainly show Granger his appreciation. 0:) Hopefully before they're both Admirals and can't remember how to show appreciation. :D

Absolutely a splendid chapter, Mark! :worship::worship:

I thought that was pretty funny too! Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

:jerry:

Finally I've caught up... damn that was some fine work Mark! This series just keeps getting better & better but our Captain is still a total nympho so all's well.. ;)

Gonna let my eyes rest for now til the next chapter. Can't wait..no, really I can't. :P

• Like 1

Finally I've caught up... damn that was some fine work Mark! This series just keeps getting better & better but our Captain is still a total nympho so all's well.. ;)

Gonna let my eyes rest for now til the next chapter. Can't wait..no, really I can't. :P

Hopefully Myr is on the job and should be up soon. Today would be great as we on the left side of the great pond are at home to read it.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Why thank you! This story should wind up in 5 chapters or so.

Why thank you! This story should wind up in 5 chapters or so.

Out of interest, does the story continue beyond Belvidera?

I'm assuming it does ( & hoping :) ) because there is so much more scope to continue this. Also I'm pretty bias because English history is one of my things, which makes this series a total must read. :D

• Like 1

I'm assuming it does ( & hoping :) ) because there is so much more scope to continue this. Also I'm pretty bias because English history is one of my things, which makes this series a total must read. :D

Granger is not yet an admiral. ;)

Chapter 39 was incredible. And quite the twist I might add. And his new traveling companion sounds sweet too. Perhaps a truffle for Winkler. ;)

I am glad it went well for him. Something about the land that just doesn't fit well under Granger's feet. He belongs at sea. You have written him so well that even "i" as the reader feels like a fish out of water when he is on land.

Cheers!

Absolutely, it's just a matter of me having enough time to write it. We're almost to 1797, with a bunch of major events, not the least of which is the Battle of Cape St. Vincent. There's still a few more exciting events for 1796 first.

Granger is not yet an admiral. ;)

And that takes time, as promotion to admiral is SOLELY based on seniority as a Captain.

Chapter 39 was incredible. And quite the twist I might add. And his new traveling companion sounds sweet too. Perhaps a truffle for Winkler. ;)

I am glad it went well for him. Something about the land that just doesn't fit well under Granger's feet. He belongs at sea. You have written him so well that even "i" as the reader feels like a fish out of water when he is on land.

Cheers!

I think you're right. The sea is his milieu, with other seamen. Did I spell that right? Posted Image

And that takes time, as promotion to admiral is SOLELY based on seniority as a Captain.

Which is why I suspect that there's plenty more story to go. On top of that, he could become a commodore first. As an admiral, he'll have his own fleet, which means more adventures, especially if he's an Admiral by the time that the War of 1812 starts. That seems possible at the very least. By the way, did they have other ranks like rear admiral and vice admiral?

Which is why I suspect that there's plenty more story to go. On top of that, he could become a commodore first. As an admiral, he'll have his own fleet, which means more adventures, especially if he's an Admiral by the time that the War of 1812 starts. That seems possible at the very least. By the way, did they have other ranks like rear admiral and vice admiral?

They did, and they also had colors. Here's the progression:

Rear Admiral of the Blue

Rear Admiral of the White

Rear Admiral of the Red

Vice Admiral of the Blue

Vice Admiral of the White

Vice Admiral of the Red

Admiral of the Blue

Admiral of the White

Admiral of the Red

Wiki describes it in more detail.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Loved the newest chapter of this story, it just keeps getting better and better. I do agree that Granger seems to be more comfortable at sea but with his family and all, some time on land would be a requirement, I would think.

I love how Mark seems to be able to bring to live so vividly the reality of the times these people lived and existed. I do realize that the research is quite extensive, you can tell that by the level of authentic detail.

Keep up the good work, this story is starting to rival CAP, at least in my mind...

Edited by centexhairysub

They did, and they also had colors. Here's the progression:

Rear Admiral of the Blue

Rear Admiral of the White

Rear Admiral of the Red

Vice Admiral of the Blue

Vice Admiral of the White

Vice Admiral of the Red

Admiral of the Blue

Admiral of the White

Admiral of the Red

Wiki describes it in more detail.

I should think that Knighthood might be in the offering first...

I'm looking forward to 1805 when Granger will, I'm sure in some fashion, be taking part in the Battle of Trafalgar. Will also be interesting to see how your will treat Nelson's death! Love the stories and love the interplay between fiction and reality!

If anyone wants further insight into this series, try & watch a few episodes of Hornblower made by the ITV network in the UK. It's set in the exact same timeframe & I'd almost forgotten about it til I saw one of the re-runs tonight. Even Jervis was mentioned.... but no hanky panky below decks sadly, though the title may suggest otherwise! ;)

If anyone wants further insight into this series, try & watch a few episodes of Hornblower made by the ITV network in the UK. It's set in the exact same timeframe & I'd almost forgotten about it til I saw one of the re-runs tonight. Even Jervis was mentioned.... but no hanky panky below decks sadly, though the title may suggest otherwise! ;)

perhaps no hanky-panky, but have you seen the shower-on-deck scene.... Ioan Griffud is to bloody die for.....

also there is a fair amount of fanfic about that puts the hanky-panky back where the BBC (and Forester!) obviously edited it out!

perhaps no hanky-panky, but have you seen the shower-on-deck scene.... Ioan Griffud is to bloody die for.....

also there is a fair amount of fanfic about that puts the hanky-panky back where the BBC (and Forester!) obviously edited it out!

That's true, he is certainly tasty...but my favorite is in the latter part of the series (The Mutiney and Redemption), Redemption being where Hornblower blows up the fort and jump off the cliff with his shipmates. Take a good look at Hornblower just before he jumps...what a crotch shot!!! :devil::2thumbs:

I think I've seen one more since this post. And that has been over a week ago, I believe... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I said five chapters, not five weeks. Posted ImageI actually have the next chapter started, but I haven't finished it yet, so it will be a bit. It's been a busy few months, but I'm hoping I'll actually find some writing time over the holidays.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..