Top Five Classic Rock Bands

Well, my list is probably atypical. Basically I consider anywhere from the 80's and before to be classic. However, I have to say most of favorites are from the 70's (and 80's by extension). Please include a Youtube link to your favorite song from each one!

2. Metallica- If you want to talk about thrash metal, this band is famous for it. They are why I said most of my favorite rock bands are from the 70's. Metallica is from the early 80's. I could talk about all their songs from Kill 'Em All like "Seek and Destroy". Ride the Lightning kicked ass, especially with "Fade to Black" and "For Whom the Bell Tolls". One cannot forget Master of Puppets with the title track and "Sanitarium". Then of course, there's the self-titled album, affectionately known as The Black Album, which is perhaps their best album with songs such as "Enter Sandman", "Wherever I May Roam", "Sad but True", and "The Unforgiven". My favorite Metallica song of all is also from the self-titled album. It is called "
    ".

3. Led Zeppelin- They were one of the first metal bands. Quite frankly they're revolutionary. Most people are familiar with "Stairway to Heaven" and "Kashmir", but there are many awesome Led Zeppelin songs. I have already mentioned my favorite, "
    ". I cannot forget songs like When the Levee Breaks (my second favorite), Over the Hills and Far Away, Heartbreaker, Black Dog, Rock and Roll, and "Trampled Under Foot". I list Led Zeppelin as my favorite, but Led Zeppelin is almost a Metallica for me.

4. Rush- It's strange, but I didn't really hear much of them except "Tom Sawyer" for the longest time. I had only really heard them on a Kansas City radio station. When I moved to Texas, I found a rock station that played more than just one Rush song, and I've discovered that I like "Freewill", "Spirit of Radio", and "Xanadu" much better. My favorite of the three is "
    ". It's like I discovered another band that I absolutely love, which is awesome! :D

5. Black Sabbath- This band, as far as I'm concerned, died when Ozzy was kicked out. "Iron Man", "Paranoid", and "N.I.B" are good tunes. My favorite is "War Pigs". I have to add some more Ozzy Osbourne tunes as well, because let's face it, the band went to shit when he left, and he's a rock god! "Mama I'm Coming Home" is definitely my favorite, but I also like "Crazy Train", "Shot in the Dark", "Bark at the Moon", and "No More Tears" among others.

6. Pink Floyd- What's not to love about Pink Floyd? "The Wall" was a definitive rock album of the 1970's, and it includes my favorite song of theirs, "
    ". Another Brick in the Wall is awesome too! "Mother", "Young Lust", and "Money" are worth mentioning as well.

5 bands, yes. a favorite song from each one? no.

1. Tesla---Song & Emotion, Modern Day Cowboy, What You Give

2. RUSH---YYZ, 2112, Red Barchetta, Anthem, Working Man, Distant Early Warning, Natural Science, Earthshine, New World Man....

3. AC/DC---Thunderstruck, For Those About To Rock(We Salute You), Big Balls, Rock & Roll Aint Noise Pollution

4. Led Zeppelin---Kashmir, The Ocean, Going To California, Moby Dick, Misty Mountain Hop, Over The Hills & Far Away

5. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers---Won't Back Down, Running Down A Dream, Saving Grace, Stop Dragging My Heart Around(Written by Tom Petty and performed by Stevie Knicks)

Ladies and gentlemen, the greatest rock and roll band of all times...

I give you the Rolling Stones

suckin-in-the-70s.jpg

Rolling Stones Wiki

#2 Led Zeppelin

led_zeppelin.jpg

Led Zeppelin Wiki

#3 the Doors

thedoors.jpg

the Doors - wiki

#4 the Who

thewho.jpg

the Who - wiki

#5 Pink Floyd

wall01.gif

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

Pink Floyd - wiki

Sorry- 5 ain't enough

#6 Jimmy Hendrix

hendrix.jpg

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced

Jimi Hendrix

#7 the Beatles

Let_It_Be1970.jpg

the Beatles - Let it Be

the Beatles - wiki

#8 the Eagles

the-eagles-hotel-california.jpg

the Eagles - New Kid In Town

the Eagles - wiki

#9 AC/DC

ac-dc.jpg

AC/DC - Highway to Hell

AC/DC - Wiki

#10 Supertramp

supertramp.jpg

Supertramp - the Logical Song

Supertramp - wiki

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water My link

The first few chords could send a high school dance into a frenzy. Stairway to Heaven was the other obligatory song all bands had to know.

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 My link

Possibly the most talented musicians ever in rock.

KISS - Rock n Roll All Night

They had a gimmick and it worked.

Beach Boys - Surfin' USA My link

They spoke to an entire lifestyle most of the world knew nothing about.

The Beatles - I want to Hold Your Hand

They changed the world of music forever.

Oh, man. Talk about an embarrassment of riches. Where to start, and what decade to focus on? Or try all of them?

I'm gonna interpret this as a challenge to pick bands from my daddy's era. Damn, what a great period for music. And I gotta limit to five? Okay...

1. Cream, "Sunshine of Your Love" --once you get that opening guitar lick in your head, it'll never let go.

" probably one of the most arresting musical portraits of addiction ever penned, and John Kay's vocals are gut-wrenching here.

," I almost linked to the obligatory "Piece of My Heart," but I love everything she ever did, and this lesser-known one really delivers the goods. Easily the most tortured and earnest vocals anybody ever ripped from the depths of their heart.

4. Jimi Hendrix, "Fire" Again, how to choose? I'm going with this one since it's not played quite as much as "Foxy Lady" and "Purple Haze."

5.The Beatles, "Hey Jude" and everything else they ever did.

Honorable Mention: (sorry, couldn't hep myself)

So raunchy. So classic.

1. Simple Plan- Untitled

2. Stereos- Summer Girl

3. Billy Talent- River Below

4. Disturbed- The Game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYgkSnhJUyM

5. Korn- Forsaken

From the movie : Queen of the Damned.

The top two are something i'd download, the 3 below it are just ones i'm familier with but not a huge fan as i would listen to them all the time or something.

So many good ones already posted here, so I'll just add a few from the late '70's/early '80's:

Alice Cooper: No More Mr. Nice Guy (My personal theme song. And WTF is he doing to his dick in this video?)

April Wine:

Dokken:

The Police:

The Blue Oyster Cult:

and the version with more cowbell. biggrin.gif

The Smithereens:

and

Speaking of "Behind the Wall of Sleep", this is Jeannie Shrimpton back in 1965,biggrin.gif

(jean-shrimp.jpg

Mr. Big - To Be With You and Wild World...

Pearl Jam - Soldier of Love and Last Kiss (Man, this is probably the most hear breaking song Ive listened to. :| )

Pink Floyd - The fav song of my school 'Another brick In the Wall.'

UFO - High flyer and Rock bottom (I could steal it from my dad's old chest. The tapes still work.)

Iron Maiden - All of their songs... Blood Brothers tops em all, though.

Edited by K.BeN