Looking for non-romance fiction in eFiction

Guest The Nature Nut

Guest The Nature Nut

I've been reading through the eFiction archives and have enjoyed many of the stories there. It seems most of them are romance-themed or at least have a lot of sexual tension. I'm looking for stories with gay characters that aren't necessarily romantic, sexually provacative, or about coming out. Can someone recommend some authors on this site that write other types of fiction?

Try 'Against the Machine' by Riley Jericho. That is a very very different story... very dark but well written and only a romance in the very strange and twisted sense of the word right at the very end.

CJames 'Circumnavigation' is about murder mystery and a catamaran trip around the world. Very little romance at all.

There are lots of stories with other elements 'as well as' the romance, sexual tension etc. Depends what your tastes are. You could take a look at mine. Some of them are pure romance (kind of) but there's a vampire story, a BDSM hard core, a murder mystery, some that defy definition and some short stories.

Umm... Cia's 'The Price of Honour' is a good fantasy that has only a little romance and sex as a by product.

Clovis's stories are awesome and wide ranging.

I'm sure I've forgotten loads but that should keep you in reading material for a little while and give you the chance of discovering the rest.

Sorry James... would it help if I said I had memory problems at the moment? Although I have to say that the sparkly vampires have caused me to develop a serious allergy to that word.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Nature Nut

Thanks, Neph, for the reccomendations. And thanks for reviewing so many authors' work. I've only done a few reviews so far, but I plan to do more soon. It seems like very few people do reviews for the Efiction authors. That's too bad, especially considering that many authors really want some feedback. Thanks for reading their stories and taking the time to do those reviews.

Aww thanks. I guess it's the fact that I feel so great when I get a review and sad when i don't that I don't want other authors to feel the same. I think that all authors particularly new ones need the encouragement of reviews otherwise how will they know that their writing is good enough to warrent them to keep writing. I really think that more people should review and be honest in their reviewing. When I read a story I feel grateful that someone has put so much effort into something that has provided me with pleasure (mostly :) )and has been brave enough to put something so personal out into the world to be cherished or torn apart and the very least I can do is acknowledge to them that I have actually read it. But that's me :)

When you said other types of fiction, I immediately thought dkstories. Haha.

His Do Over series might fall into what you're looking for unless you're not into Sci-Fi or younger protagonists. From how I recall the story, only the first one could really be classified as romantic. The others are more on action.

I think it would be a good idea for the fic challenges section or something like that to write a story that cannot focus on love/romance and/or coming out. Romance is popular in every genre and on sites like this I think people are inspired by reading, so the more people read romances the more they write them, then those get read and inspire more to be written, etc. Part of it too is probably the expectations that people have when searching for these sites and through these stories, thinking that the only types of stories that are interesting or worth reading are the most obvious choices for a gay site - gay romance and coming out. But there are definitely tonnes of other types of stories that can be explored. Sorry I can't think of anything that is completely devoid of romance. Do check out Nephylim's stuff - there are some dark stories that might be what you are looking for.

Hmmm I cannot think of any stories that's not romance linked as romance/love is a part of everyone's lives. Are you asking for stories that doesn't focus mainly on the romance as the driving plot? Because a lot of the stories on here, have a little bit of romance in them (like 42 suggests), but there are some that love/romance isn't the main story/plot/driving force of the story but a small side story or is just a little touch of romance.

This is a good question. I'm trying to write a short story series that focuses on the lives of gay/lesbian folks, that isn't necessarily about coming out or romance. I only have one story so far. Haha. But I'm trying. I just want a little bit of more clarification because if you are looking for a story that is completely void of romance/love would be a very limited number of story, even in mianstream books.