Pale Moon Rising by Dolores Esteban

• Site Administrator

Pale Moon Rising by Dolores Esteban

He was still waiting for the dazzling white light that announced the arrival of the transmitter cabin. Slowly, though, Adonis realized that something had gone terribly wrong.

:nuke: :nuke: Spoilers Below!!! :nuke: :nuke:

Edited by Graeme
  • Site Administrator

After so many historical stories from Dolores, I was very surprised to find a story based in the future :) That little surprise made absolutely no difference to my enjoyment of the story, though.

One of the parts that felt so real was the pressure they put Adonis under when it came to sign those forms. That could happen today, so, in some ways, it's sad that nothing had changed in the subsequent 800 years.

Thank you, Dolores! As always, an excellent story about human nature -- both the good (Omar and Galan) and the bad (the faceless bureaucracy that was going to write him off as the victim of a failed experiment).

• Site Administrator

To be honest, it was the emotions of the story that held me. Narration as the sole storytelling format seemed to lay out the story a bit pedantically but Adonis' emotions, his blithe application and testing, his sudden dread and fear when essentially intimidated into signing... those things kept me reading. I like your characterizations and I really enjoyed the story by the time I was done. Thanks for the interesting read!

A very cool story Dolores, sort of cautionary tale on the dangers of technology. I like the Sci-fi touch. I admit I'm not familer with the majority of you're work but if it is anything like the caliber of this story I'll have to look them up.

best,

NightOwl

Definitely different, good different. Very interesting.

You have obviously shaped the world Adonis is in very well. Also I feel for him when he was to sign the papers and feeling so lonely on Makat.

However it feel just teeny tiny bit anti-climatic at the end. That said, it was a great read. Thank you!