Resolution-14 by Ricky

Ricky---dude!!

You're killing me here!! Come ON!! :(

You write beautiful and funny LOVE stories. Or is this the *tricky bits* part of you?

Actually, Ricky, although this is deep, I know it is a subject that you are very much concerned with. And when I think back, it actually IS a love story. It just wasn't funny.

And while it may not appear so, I really DID like it!

Thanks

Thanks very much. Both of you.

It was an inspired piece for sure. Pure sweet sadness. It exemplifies how the mindset can become hormonally twisted when the changes take over. If the condition of being gay was openly accepted this story could not occur.

It is a heartfelt demonstration of a sightless society and the hidden affects it brings out.

Yet, still the world refuses to see. How many Einstein's and Edison's have left the world early over society's selfish ignorance and desires for controlling power.

The world may never know and may never survive to find out.

This was my first attempt at first person. I don't think it will ever be my favorite format. Too restrictive for my tastes.

Cheers!

B).........Ah Ricky! Well written piece, didn't see it coming until the letter dropped out!

Thanks. That was the plan. Glad to see it worked. This was my first "First Person" story and being a short story you can't waste words, each one must contribute to the whole of it. SO I am glad to see it passed the right emotions at the right time.

Thanks!

Ricky

• Site Administrator

You had a lot of symbolism and emotion in this story and boy was it short! The reasoning behind the character's plight became obvious to me when he was worrying about how Jeremy would feel but that took nothing away from the impact the letter and the end of the story brought. The only quibble I had with this story was that in the second paragraph you say the tears trickled down his cheeks when it should have been my cheeks in first person.

I think first person present tense is hard to work with but you did it very well. It adds to the immediacy of the piece and brings the reader in more intimately with the character, vital in a short story. Thanks for the interesting read!

You had a lot of symbolism and emotion in this story and boy was it short! The reasoning behind the character's plight became obvious to me when he was worrying about how Jeremy would feel but that took nothing away from the impact the letter and the end of the story brought. The only quibble I had with this story was that in the second paragraph you say the tears trickled down his cheeks when it should have been my cheeks in first person.

I think first person present tense is hard to work with but you did it very well. It adds to the immediacy of the piece and brings the reader in more intimately with the character, vital in a short story. Thanks for the interesting read!

Thanks so very much. This was my very first attempt at first person. I think it is a dyslexic thing for me. (I am profoundly dyslexic) First person is SO hard because you are so locked in. I can't imagine doing First person past tense. That would be absolute torture.

Nice catch. Thank you.

I like short stories because they test your skill. No wasted words and you have to say a lot in a short mental sketch instead of being able to build a full picture. I hope that the continuity was there for you. That is the hardest thing to maintain in a short story.

I need to get to reading but I am moving! Next to paying taxes and having a root canal, it's my favorite thing to do.

Thanks Bugeye and Kevin. I do emotion well but I generally do not like depressing or negative emotions but once in a while an inspiration niggles me and I have to give it a go. This one touched me and it had to be written.

We often do not see the signs because we forget to look. Or we prefer not to see.

And ya, I wanted to rescue him too.

I know this may be a little (or a lot) off topic but I have to stand up for my favourite person... first.

You will find most of my newer stories written in first both present and past. It's just as if you (I) are (am) telling a story to someone who is sitting right there with you... The tensing is really complicated because you can mix present with past. (I was taking a drink of lemonade. I love lemonade. The bottle was really frosty and it tasted sweet. Although I prefer more tart lemonade that one was refreshing and hit the spot) see... awesome :)

i havent read this yet but i will

You have nothing to be sorry about. And this one isn't one you'll like bud. Not terribly cheery. But thanks.

I know how much you love email so I sent you one.

Hugz to you both. Keep smiling.

• 5 weeks later...

This is well written but incredibly depressing!

Thank you. I don't do depressing well and this was my first attempt at first person.

I think a good writer should be able to make the reader feel and express the full range of emotions. In a short story I think that is almost impossible. So picking one emotion and making it come through effectively is huge.

As for the topic. Teenage suicide continues and it rips my heart out to read of even one. Anything I can do to bring that to light is a plus. It is not a topic I write to in my stories. This short was the exception. My stories tend to write about young loves finding themselves and the courage to be themselves.

Thank you for the review. It means a lot to me.

Cheers,

Ricky