Giving the finger.

• Site Administrator

The one fingered salute is becoming more common in professional sports...

An Australian wrestler at the Commonwealth Games lost his silver medal (he was in the gold medal fight, so he was guaranteed a medal) because of an abusive gesture to the officials after losing the bout. They disqualified him as a consequence, so no medal....

Having said that, the photo is almost certainly faked. Apart from the abnormal length of the finger if it was real, if you check his fist it looks more like he's pushing his knuckle against his nostril and not poking his finger in it.

At first glance it is persuasive but on closer inspection, as Graeme says the finger is too long and would have to bend the wrong way. Also he is definitely pushing his knuckle against his nose. Good fun though. It was certainly a shocker

Oh Graeme! You've spoiled my day! I was so sure it was real.

That was really rotten about the wrestler. The tension when wrestling is enormous. it's a violent sport, bruising and requires real aggression during the bouts, so the gesture is almost reflex and meant nothing more than the fisting of tennis players. It was more directed at himself than the ref.

Ban all international sport, I say. Keep it local and save billions of dollars.

An Australian wrestler at the Commonwealth Games lost his silver medal (he was in the gold medal fight, so he was guaranteed a medal) because of an abusive gesture to the officials after losing the bout. They disqualified him as a consequence, so no medal....

Having said that, the photo is almost certainly faked. Apart from the abnormal length of the finger if it was real, if you check his fist it looks more like he's pushing his knuckle against his nostril and not poking his finger in it.