Pre-med / Pre-law

why oh why oh why

does it seem that nearly every main character in high-school/college stories is planning to be a doctor or a lawyer?

& if theres 2 main characters/couple, so often theyre doing both!

is accounting not gay enough?

:lol::read:

I don't know why people want to be liars, I mean lawyers.

As for docs... I dunno why anyone would want to go through that. Years of medical school... and generally having to fight off mal practice suits (I guess this is why the partner is a liar..erhm lawyer?)

I think there needs to be more gay acting characters! I want gay characters that are going to work at salons, or at a bookstore, or be crazy gay activist (like me!) or... you know. Stuff.

yeah.

James

The law, because we have an innate nature to correct wrongs especially those done to us. Medicine, because we care especially for those like us who have been hurt.

But I have read stories where the main character was an architect, a computer whiz, a time traveler, a satyr, a musician. You just have to keep reading!

why oh why oh why

does it seem that nearly every main character in high-school/college stories is planning to be a doctor or a lawyer?

& if theres 2 main characters/couple, so often theyre doing both!

is accounting not gay enough?

:lol::read:

I have a story about an accountant.. :P Short story.. I also use the medical profession though.. lol

Well, I have a story about a hair salon owner and a former soccer player who gets a job as a kicker on a football team. That sounds mighty gay to me. And oh sorry, never finshed the story.

(The story was called 'Buzzard's'.)

A logical explanation: Many students start out as pre-law or pre-med, then wise up as they get into it.

Still, that doesn't explain the sheer number of future gay lawyers and doctors in stories.

Some of us never wise up ;)

Naw seriously....Mark is right, a HUGE number of people start out aiming for med or law. I have one story where my main character is a med student (which is something I know a bit about) and his bf is a law student (something I also know a bit about, thx to my bro). For my story I needed a second degree (professional) to match my main character.

*shrugs*

...dontcha know, gay people are just smarter and thus end up with higher education levels :P

You know- you got a point- there DO seem to be a lot of pre-law and pre-med majors in gay college stories. I always kinda figure that it was because in this country, becoming a lawyer or becoming a doctor was seen as the best way to find to become stable upper middle-class/affluent. Mothers used to prod daughters to become married to doctors or lawyers. It's not so true now, but you can still see remants of that. Maybe this is one of them.

If the stories were true to my own experience, the guy characters would be more likely in engineering, computer science, business & marketing, or exercise/nutrition science.

Edited by methodwriter85

Prolly because those writers wanna squeeze in as many good qualities into their characters as possible and having aspiration to be one of the two classic "best" professions is a great quality. It runs parallel with the "6-pack, 8 inch dick, tanned skin, and w/e else those authors make up for the character.

Prolly because those writers wanna squeeze in as many good qualities into their characters as possible and having aspiration to be one of the two classic "best" professions is a great quality. It runs parallel with the "6-pack, 8 inch dick, tanned skin, and w/e else those authors make up for the character.

You're right. It's a manifestation of the Gary Stu deal that writers of gay fiction go for.

its the same with most of the lesbian stories i read.... i mean seriously not every single girl/women has DD breasts!!!!