Poll on Story Archive

Story Archive Poll  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the Story archive system now?

• Yes, quite a lot
    • Yes, sometimes.
    • Not very often
    • Never
  2. 2. Do you read in The Library now?

• Yes, quite a lot
    • Yes, sometimes.
    • Not very often
    • Never
  3. 3. Would you be interested in the new Story Archive described in the post below?

• Yes, that would be cool
    • Sounds interesting, but I need to know more.
    • Probably not.
  4. 4. Would you be willing to donate a litle extra money to help pay for a custom program?

• Yes, I think a powerful system would be worth a few extra bucks a month for a while
    • Maybe, if I knew more about it.
    • No, I can't afford to send anything now, let alone more.

• Site Administrator

Hello everyone. As many of you know, I'm always working to try to improve what we have here. In some things, I just don't have the skill to do on my own. I've looked recently into having a custom module designed for the site that plugs into the board. (like how the Blogs work). This system would be for the story archive.

The best way I can describe it is as a cross between Fanfiction.net and our current story archive. It would replace "The Library" and it would replace the current Story Archive.

Users would be able to browse the list like now, but when they clicked the story link, it would either open a different site, or open a story listing of chapters that are hosted here.

Users would also be able to recommend links for the archive directly, filling out a form. The Story Archivist would review these daily and either add or not add the stories based on the recommendation.

The system would have the same general look as the board, allowing members to choose their favorite color skin and having it used on different parts of the site.

As you can imagine, it isn't exactly cheap, but I think it would be well worth if for the site.

Please take the time to fill out the poll and let me know what you think.

Myr

Hello There.

Thanks a lot for your work, and for the site.

I personnally don't care a lot about fancy features, such as skins, popups for stories... I like barebones sites, with as much screen real estate as possible devoted to actually displaying the stories, so what you are describing doesn't sound very interesting to me.

The one fancy feature I like is Shoutcasts, as they entice people to chat. Another feature I would like is downloadable archives of PDF and TXT or DOC full versions of the stories, to make downloading them for offline/PDA reading easier.

Best regards,

Olivier

Guest chris_king_2005

What you have *works* now... I'm familiar with some of the other archive programs from fanfiction, etc. and while all the bells and whistles are probably fun for the young ones (I'm a grey haired Luddite myself) I think it's less important than the wonderful content you maintain on the site.

A better search function? Oh, that *would* be nice...however, I'm less sure that paying alot of money for a spiffy new program is really necessary.

Thanks again for all your hard work! This is a great site and provides a valuable service to the community.

Hello everyone. As many of you know, I'm always working to try to improve what we have here. In some things, I just don't have the skill to do on my own. I've looked recently into having a custom module designed for the site that plugs into the board. (like how the Blogs work). This system would be for the story archive.

The best way I can describe it is as a cross between Fanfiction.net and our current story archive. It would replace "The Library" and it would replace the current Story Archive.

Users would be able to browse the list like now, but when they clicked the story link, it would either open a different site, or open a story listing of chapters that are hosted here.

Users would also be able to recommend links for the archive directly, filling out a form. The Story Archivist would review these daily and either add or not add the stories based on the recommendation.

The system would have the same general look as the board, allowing members to choose their favorite color skin and having it used on different parts of the site.

As you can imagine, it isn't exactly cheap, but I think it would be well worth if for the site.

Myr

G'day Myr, I don't think the added expense is needed. The system currently in use is fine why change it?

The group is free if you start spending money & members have to foot ther bill I think that many will pull out.

Hugs,

James

• Site Administrator

Well... posting a story would be exactly like posting on the board or the blog. The search function would be the same. (extensive)

You'd be able to select your favorite stories and do things like have an email sent when a new story is posted. I'm trying to find features I like and use (or would use) and see if others do the same.

The plan is to always keep Gay Authors free. The more traffic we get, the more likely we'll be able to pay for ourselves completely without having to ask for donations.

Oh, I'd also like to welcome the new members who replied, but haven't done a lot of posting the forums yet.

Myr

Another feature I would like is downloadable archives of PDF and TXT or DOC full versions of the stories, to make downloading them for offline/PDA reading easier.

Best regards,

Olivier

The logistics of this one would be quite hard and time comsuming to complete. First off most stories are offered for personal download and enjoyment. Most authors make it a point that downloading and changing their stories and/or redistrubting them is against their wishes. So to begin with you would have to have each Authors permission before you could do this. Then if you where going to take this on you would have to have a good program to accomplish the mission. There are really only two choices and that is PDF or TXT. You can get Acrobate Reader for free and most systems come with a program that will read TXT. DOC There is one free program out that I know about that will read them, but most folks are not aware of it.

Actually this something that I have considered doing, using Acrobat Pro to convert the stories into PDF's. If any authors are interested in having it done please let me know.

Mike

Myr

I don't know if this is the way to write an opinion as directions are not very clear so here's hoping!

I am not into reading so It does not interest me too much. I joined this group as I have friends who visit and they enjoy a bit of reading and find good stories here. There are also a couple of groups that I belong too and have linked this site with those sites. As I do not have good or fast internet service the less unneeded material I have to down load the better. My friends comment favourably on the site as it is, so the old saying comes to mind " If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

youngheart :great:

I just discovered the site not long ago and haven't really had time to read anything other than DomLuka's stories. 0:) As I am now finished with all his stories that have been posted I am interested in seeing what else is out there. As for the updating and fixing of which you speak I think if it needs fixed sure fix it, if it works or is working don't mess with a good thing.

don't know if this is the way to write an opinion as directions are not very clear so here's hoping!

I am not into reading so It does not interest me too much. I joined this group as I have friends who visit and they enjoy a bit of reading and find good stories here. There are also a couple of groups that I belong too and have linked this site with those sites. As I do not have good or fast internet service the less unneeded material I have to down load the better. My friends comment favourably on the site as it is, so the old saying comes to mind " If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

youngheart specool.gif

I am really gald that you joined even though you are not a reader, but you do need to realize that the name of our site is a rather large clue! "GayAuthors " We are about writing, and stories.

We do still welcome you here, we have lots of folks posting on a variety of subjcects and you are more than welcome to join in, however you feel comfortable. But you do need to realize that this site is really about stories and writing. We have much more than that going on but that is our basis, or essence.