[Adam Phillips] CC, Chapter 27

This chapter was so good, with great insights into the complexities of humanity. Like nearly everyone, Andy has a dark, dark side to him that can really hurt people. We saw it with the way he bullied his friend Josh in chapter 3. It's not the main part of him, or even a large part of him, but it's there. I think Andy was part lashing out against the fem guys that he believes makes admitting to same-sex attractions harder for guys who look and act masculine. And I also think Andy was, in some way, trying to light a fire under Chris's ass- to get him to stop being so weak, so submissive, and see if he could shame Chris into becoming "better". At the end of the encounter, Andy realized there was NOTHING wrong about Chris(and by extension, himself). What was wrong was the way Andy treated him.

To take another tack...I've had friends who've sold drugs. Someone told me once I should think about doing it, because I have such an innocent face and I don't really use drugs myself. (I didn't, of course.) Andy and Trey would have been horrible dealers for PRECISELY the reason why they thought they'd be good- they're way too high profile, and everyone knows them. If Andy and Trey got busted, because of the fact that they know so many people, it would have taken so many more people down. And contrary to what they think, people don't want to be buddies with people they're buying pot from because again, if the dealer goes down and you're a known aquaintance, you're cast into suspicion. I think more than anything, that's why Big Al didn't go for using them as dealers. No offense to Andy and Trey, but they were about as street-smart as Sesame Street.

Isn't posting Crosscurrents here on GA publishing it? blink.gif

You and I seem to like similar types of stories. I like adolescents, and identity exploration, so Crosscurrents is def. right up my alley. It's so angsty. It's so dramatic at times. It's tender. And tough. Cheery, then sad. As soon as you catch your breath, something else happens. Chapter 27 is a perfect example.

I found CC on another site and read all the 'then' published chapters in a very short period of time (I def. lost sleep that night), and omfg, I about screamed out loud when I got to the last chapter that was so obviously NOT the last chapter. So, I'm very pleased and grateful that Adam found a home here and started publishing new chapters. And that he's promised to FINISH. If he doesn't, that would be considered CRUEL, right? tongue.gif

I meant publishing as in..a real book with a publishing company etc. lol

Yes I completely agree with you..that's exactly what Crosscurrents is like!

Lol nightsky..which chapter was it that you thought would be the last? I can imagine tho...I would have freaked out if the story ended somewhere in the previous chapters. It needs some kind of happy end. It just needs it :P (notice how I said "some kind of happy end" cuz I don't wanna get my hopes up about Andy ending up with Matt :,( lol)

And yeah it would be cruel if Adam didn't finish..but he said he wasn't cruel..and that he would finish..so we shouldn't worry about that ;)

I'm just wondering..will we get weekly chapter updates or maybe once in every two weeks?

Edited by Anya

Yes I completely agree with you..that's exactly what Crosscurrents is like!

Lol nightsky..which chapter was it that you thought would be the last? I can imagine tho...I would have freaked out if the story ended somewhere in the previous chapters. It needs some kind of happy end. It just needs it :P (notice how I said "some kind of happy end" cuz I don't wanna get my hopes up about Andy ending up with Matt :,( lol)

And yeah it would be cruel if Adam didn't finish..but he said he wasn't cruel..and that he would finish..so we shouldn't worry about that ;)

I'm just wondering..will we get weekly chapter updates or maybe once in every two weeks?

I don't remember what chapter it ended on before...? Somewhere in the early 20s, I think. Chapter 22, maybe? I just remember being very very very upset at the author. dry.gif

I think Adam's promise of "you won't want to slit your wrists" when we get to the ending is about as good as we're gonna get about a happy ending. I trust him to keep his word.

Let's take it a chapter at a time. I'm eagerly awaiting chapter 28. whistle.gif

I don't remember what chapter it ended on before...? Somewhere in the early 20s, I think. Chapter 22, maybe? I just remember being very very very upset at the author. dry.gif

I think Adam's promise of "you won't want to slit your wrists" when we get to the ending is about as good as we're gonna get about a happy ending. I trust him to keep his word.

Let's take it a chapter at a time. I'm eagerly awaiting chapter 28. whistle.gif

Hehehe :P

Yeah I think so too..though it doesn't sound that hopeful lol. I mean okay...we won't want to kill ourselves but we can still be depressed lol. Adam's sneaky :P

Yeah...can't wait for chapter 28 :)

Edited by Anya

Now, now. Patience. Anyway, somehow I think you'll be the first to know. ;-)

It's always good to be in the know.

And you, dear sir, know damn good-and-well that patience is NOT my strong suit. evil.gif

Hehehe :P

Yeah I think so too..though it doesn't sound that hopeful lol. I mean okay...we won't want to kill ourselves but we can still be depressed lol. Adam's sneaky :P

Yeah...can't wait for chapter 28 :)

He is a sneaky one, but he's good for his word on things like this...

Let's be cautiously optimistic for once (I'm a lifelong subscriber to the school of defensive pessimism).

It's always good to be in the know.

And you, dear sir, know damn good-and-well that patience is NOT my strong suit. evil.gif

He is a sneaky one, but he's good for his word on things like this...

Let's be cautiously optimistic for once (I'm a lifelong subscriber to the school of defensive pessimism).

Lol all right...I'm like that too though...well better be pessimistic than optimistic and get disappointed :P

Hahah I guess...why, don't you think that's logical Adam? Please do enlighten us with your way of thinking :P

Yes Adam, please do!!devilsmiley.gif

I don't know if there's much logic behind it, actually (speaking personally). I just prefer to be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed. Pretty sure that's how it works for most of us defensive pessimists.

Anya- have you any other favorite authors? I've complied a list of recs from this board (mostly from Adam) and Dom Luka seems to be a fave for the teen angst theme.

Dom Luka is pretty good. And I love Mark Arbour for his soapy goodness stories. Since American soaps bite now, I have to get my fix somewhere.

Adam has the kind of writing that just stays with you, though. It really does. I've been following Cross-Currents since about 2004 or 2005, and it's really been a joy to have followed the progression of the story, and how Adam himself has grown up and changed over the course of writing it, and how I myself have changed in the five or so years I've been reading this story.

The ending that would be happy for me would be Andy and Matt becoming friends again, start families after college, and live right next door to each other, having barbeques every Sunday. And then there happen to be two new little boys- one high-energy toddler with Angie's tow-blond hair and Andy's the-cat-done-ate-the-canary-smile, the other with Matt's dark hair and ice blue eyes- wrestling with each on the front lawn while Andy and Matt watch while remembering the countless times they roughoused each other as little boys, and then smile at their two boys who are going to be life-long best friends as well.

Yes Adam, please do!!devilsmiley.gif

I don't know if there's much logic behind it, actually (speaking personally). I just prefer to be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed. Pretty sure that's how it works for most of us defensive pessimists.

Anya- have you any other favorite authors? I've complied a list of recs from this board (mostly from Adam) and Dom Luka seems to be a fave for the teen angst theme.

Lol yes :P

Hmm...well Dom Luka is awesome! You should defo read his stories! I haven't read any Mark Arbour yet....but I really like Agaith's story "Seeing Double" . Honestly I haven't read that many of the Hosted authors here...more in the efiction section hehe. But you could also check out Bill W....his style is a little like Dom Luka's....I'll let you know when i find something else ;)

edge of your seat stuff. wow Adam, this is gutwrenching. I read cc once again and it never fails to provide new perspectives. I love the bittersweet interchanges between Andie and Mat. Each time they speak, one is almost driven to tears because there's a world of difference between what the both say and really want to say. You capture their conversations brilliantly. you're a master at your craft. I too, hope that Andie and Mat end up together, but I don't think that's gona happen unless you continue the story from after the prologue. the other alternative is that you have them spending atleast 6 month together working through their issues. Sad, exciting, gutwrenching, bittersweet, compelling, annoying, at times when both the guys don't realise that they need to talk, it's irresistable. Write on mate, I need my fix. Stay strong. sanjay

edge of your seat stuff. wow Adam, this is gutwrenching. I read cc once again and it never fails to provide new perspectives. I love the bittersweet interchanges between Andie and Mat. Each time they speak, one is almost driven to tears because there's a world of difference between what the both say and really want to say. You capture their conversations brilliantly. you're a master at your craft. I too, hope that Andie and Mat end up together, but I don't think that's gona happen unless you continue the story from after the prologue. the other alternative is that you have them spending atleast 6 month together working through their issues. Sad, exciting, gutwrenching, bittersweet, compelling, annoying, at times when both the guys don't realise that they need to talk, it's irresistable. Write on mate, I need my fix. Stay strong. sanjay

Heart I agree with everything you said! And those conversations always drove me to tears...Adam's brilliant at that :P

I'm praying Andy and Matt end up together too...but..I don't know...ugh..guess we'll just have to wait and see :P

Methodwriter that's certainly a...nice ending but I would prefer it if Andy ended up with Matt....they soo deserve it! Then all this heartache would have been worth it :P

• Like 1

Lol yes :P

Hmm...well Dom Luka is awesome! You should defo read his stories! I haven't read any Mark Arbour yet....but I really like Agaith's story "Seeing Double" . Honestly I haven't read that many of the Hosted authors here...more in the efiction section hehe. But you could also check out Bill W....his style is a little like Dom Luka's....I'll let you know when i find something else ;)

Mark's CAP saga is a good read (with lots of installments). Good reading for when you're waiting. read.gif

As for the proposed ending... I don't know if 7-8 more chapters is gonna get us up to Matt'n"Andy as adults adults. I'll be happy if we can just get them to TALK to each other.

As for the proposed ending... I don't know if 7-8 more chapters is gonna get us up to Matt'n"Andy as adults adults. I'll be happy if we can just get them to TALK to each other.

I understand the stuff that prompts readers to wish for certain endings. I can testify personally to how vital and life-sustaining close friends are. :boy: I hope everybody's holiday season is as warm and rich as mine is. I wouldn't miss this time of year for all the money in the world. Here at Casa Phillips we always use it to focus on the good things we have in our lives.

I understand the stuff that prompts readers to wish for certain endings. I can testify personally to how vital and life-sustaining close friends are. :boy: I hope everybody's holiday season is as warm and rich as mine is. I wouldn't miss this time of year for all the money in the world. Here at Casa Phillips we always use it to focus on the good things we have in our lives.

Hopefully everyone is as fortunate in their friendships, old and new. I know I am.

Perhaps this is the one time of year during which you do not prescribe to theory of defensive pessimism? laugh.gif

Lol nightsky...hm...I wouldn't slit my wrists if Andy ended up with Angie, which I believe he will after reading the prolog, but I'd be depressed for the rest of my life...lol just kidding...I think :P

It would be great if Adam gave Andy and Matt a happy end...Adam you'd definetely make some people very happy :wub:

But hey..no pressure :P

We know that Andy winds up marrying Angie and they make babies together. We've known that from the first paragraph of the story.

The happy ending will be that Matt & Andy are friends again and can interact with each other as they used to and know that they love each other unconditionally. It is Andy who needs to make that adjustment, not Matt.

• Like 1

Ch. 27 was tough to read, but not for the Chris stuff..... No it was tough for the fact that EVERYONE gets that Matt has no problems with Andy, it is Andy who creates the problem in his head.

Andy's brother gets it, Andy's roommate gets it, Andy's father got it...... everyone but Andy.

For now.

• Like 1

We know that Andy winds up marrying Angie and they make babies together. We've known that from the first paragraph of the story.

The happy ending will be that Matt & Andy are friends again and can interact with each other as they used to and know that they love each other unconditionally. It is Andy who needs to make that adjustment, not Matt.

Now Tim don't say that :,( lol

I want to believe...at least for a little while that Andy and Matt will end up together....

PrivateTim, on 06 December 2010 - 09:16 AM, said:

Now Tim don't say that :,( lol

I want to believe...at least for a little while that Andy and Matt will end up together....

Y'all are making me laugh.

You're probably making nightsky laugh too.

What I'd love to happen is for Andy and Matt to have a "gay" summer, so to speak. Say that before Andy committs to Angie, he and Matt decide to have a summer with just the two of them. They could go off to a gay-friendly beach- say Fire Island - for the summer. There, in-between waiting tables and whatever kinda college kid jobs there are, Andy and Matt have a bit of a home at the end of the world in some rented condo they share. The whole summer, Andy and Matt could set up house and live together as husband and husband- just another gay couple amongst the throngs of people who have no clue that they live their lives primarily as straight jocks in conventional heterosexual relationships. They could hug in a senusual manner, hold hands, and kiss while walking around in public, with no one batting an eye. They could go to a bar and slow-dance with each other, the way they can't in their regular lives. Then cap off the summer with a committment ceremony on the beach between the two of them performed by a visiting Kyle Kessler- promising each other they'll be partners for life while exchanging matching silver pinkie rings. It'd be pretty cool, I think.:2thumbs:

Edited by methodwriter85

Ha ha Adam...I don't think it's funny :D Why nightsky too? Does she know what will happen in the end??

Oh and methodwriter....that would be soo nice lol...perfect ending :P

BTW: Happy Birthday! :)

Edited by Anya

What I'd love to happen is for Andy and Matt to have a "gay" summer, so to speak. Say that before Andy commits to Angie, he and Matt decide to have a summer with just the two of them. They could go off to a gay-friendly beach- say Fire Island - for the summer. There, in-between waiting tables and whatever kinda college kid jobs there are, Andy and Matt have a bit of a home at the end of the world in some rented condo they share. The whole summer, Andy and Matt could set up house and live together as husband and husband- just another gay couple amongst the throngs of people who have no clue that they live their lives primarily as straight jocks in conventional heterosexual relationships. They could hug in a sensual manner, hold hands, and kiss while walking around in public, with no one batting an eye. They could go to a bar and slow-dance with each other, the way they can't in their regular lives. Then cap off the summer with a commitment ceremony on the beach between the two of them performed by a visiting Kyle Kessler- promising each other they'll be partners for life while exchanging matching silver pinkie rings. It'd be pretty cool, I think.:2thumbs:

I think Matt and Andy have moved beyond that part of their life. I think even if Andy hadn't freaked their senior year, they were never destined to wind up as a couple. I suspect they wind up right where they would have anyway in terms of the life partners, Andy with Angie and Matt with whomever. All that remains to be seen is if they get to a place of comfort with each other.

And of course have their annual "surf trip" :whistle: at the beach.

• Like 1

Ha ha Adam...I don't think it's funny :D Why nightsky too? Does she know what will happen in the end??

Anya-

I have an idea of what happens in the storyline, but I don't know details. You think if I knew exact details, I'd be posting in this forum BEGGING Adam to write faster?

I can say that if I knew it was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad ending, I would be warning y'all off from the damn story. I'd be treating it like it was ebola. But I've been busy peddling this story as if I were getting royalties or something. laugh.gif (so the ending better be good, dagnabit!)

However, I think Adam is a terrible, terrible tease. TERRIBLE. It is my belief that we (us lowly fans patiently/not-so-patiently waiting for new chapters) are very entertaining to him, and I think he is dragging out the publishing of this story to keep us in agony.

I"m sort of kidding. We're not too far off from the end, and I know Adam's been just a little bit pre-occupied. I s'pose I'll give him a pass. wink.gif