Colors and Your Moods

When I left my room right after lunch, I was assaulted by a very bright yellow. Hmmm, it appears that the sun is high and mighty this afternoon. When I sat in front of my laptop to do some reading, I was immediately overcome with laziness. I felt tired and my mood just went down (sort of a brain fog). Following my body's demands, I returned back to my room which had a generally darker atmosphere because it had only three windows with thick curtains that were never removed. To my surprise, I wasn't able to sleep and I felt myself a little bit energized, like I had just taken a shower (this occurred after a few minutes of simply lying and waiting for sleep to claim me.

I was just wondering if the rest of you have the same experiences with colors and atmosphere (it seems that warm temperatures have the same effect on me, too). I always kept my over-all scheme as dark as possible (even going as far as only going active at night, if possible). Whenever I try the brighter colors, may it be my bag, my shirt, even my pen (The reason why I never write in blue ink), I tend to be irritable and disconnected with the world. Anyone have the same experience?

When I left my room right after lunch, I was assaulted by a very bright yellow. Hmmm, it appears that the sun is high and mighty this afternoon. When I sat in front of my laptop to do some reading, I was immediately overcome with laziness. I felt tired and my mood just went down (sort of a brain fog). Following my body's demands, I returned back to my room which had a generally darker atmosphere because it had only three windows with thick curtains that were never removed. To my surprise, I wasn't able to sleep and I felt myself a little bit energized, like I had just taken a shower (this occurred after a few minutes of simply lying and waiting for sleep to claim me.

I was just wondering if the rest of you have the same experiences with colors and atmosphere (it seems that warm temperatures have the same effect on me, too). I always kept my over-all scheme as dark as possible (even going as far as only going active at night, if possible). Whenever I try the brighter colors, may it be my bag, my shirt, even my pen (The reason why I never write in blue ink), I tend to be irritable and disconnected with the world. Anyone have the same experience?

In my darker and gloomyer days I always preferred black with everything from clothes to decoration. I wasn't a goth or anything.

Then came my years of joy and liberation and suddenly colors sneaked into the picture. Bright colors! That's something I actually took notice in and discussed with my friends a lot. Geee... me wearing a flashing pink top, lol, needed some explenation. :D

These days I do use colors to reflect my moods more than try to affect on them.

In my darker and gloomyer days I always preferred black with everything from clothes to decoration. I wasn't a goth or anything.

Then came my years of joy and liberation and suddenly colors sneaked into the picture. Bright colors! That's something I actually took notice in and discussed with my friends a lot. Geee... me wearing a flashing pink top, lol, needed some explenation. :D

These days I do use colors to reflect my moods more than try to affect on them.

-screams- Ahh!!! Flashy pink, my eyes! XD I have to be honest, seeing bright pink on the streets gave me a headache. It's just a good thing we're not celebrating new year with our relatives. The flood of polka dots would drown us all! j/k

It's a good thing how the colors reflect your mood. At least yours is voluntary. My problems with bright colors is usually uncontrolled and it's upsetting how it give my mood an instant change. But I think I have no complaints. It just gave me an excuse to wear dark clothing, which is sexy in my opinion. :2thumbs: Though it's kind of troublesome when someone walks up to me and say "Woah, you're wearing all black! Did someone died? Are you depressed? " But other than that, it's nothing to sweat about. ^-^

-screams- Ahh!!! Flashy pink, my eyes! XD I have to be honest, seeing bright pink on the streets gave me a headache. It's just a good thing we're not celebrating new year with our relatives. The flood of polka dots would drown us all! j/k

It's a good thing how the colors reflect your mood. At least yours is voluntary. My problems with bright colors is usually uncontrolled and it's upsetting how it give my mood an instant change. But I think I have no complaints. It just gave me an excuse to wear dark clothing, which is sexy in my opinion. :2thumbs: Though it's kind of troublesome when someone walks up to me and say "Woah, you're wearing all black! Did someone died? Are you depressed? " But other than that, it's nothing to sweat about. ^-^

Black is sexy whewn it's given thought into it! The reputation of black goes even beyond the depression point, t's totally weird that black is linked in peoples minds even to low selfesteem or un-innovativiness. I might wear black all over and neon (sorry :lol: ) underwear that no one else can see (if I don't want them to... ;) ).

Edited by Mandartania

Black is sexy whewn it's given thought into it! The reputation of black goes even beyond the depression point, t's totally weird that black is linked in peoples minds even to low selfesteem or un-innovativiness. I might wear black all over and neon (sorry :lol: ) underwear that no one else can see (if I don't want them to... ;) ).

I remember the first few times when I started on the black fashion thingy (since I'm usually well known to have the more natural ones like brown). A few friends of mine gave me weird look. The fact that it coincided with my early experimentation with make up (mostly eye liner), seemed to be a big change to them. My best friend even asked me if I turned satanist (possibly because I chose the darkest eyeliner color)! A rather odd observation considering I'm openly an atheist. Still, it won't change the fact that black is sexy. (Of course overdoing it can also be a major turn off). But one have to admit, it's actually the easiest color to find a nice combination.

Hmmm, if you want, you can even try the catsuits thingy and go wild! :lmao:But please, oh please, save the neon! Bright red I can take, but never a neon. But of course, if it's an underwear, it's always an exception. B) Well, except if you're wearing it at the beach and I might as well drop into a coma. :lol:

I remember the first few times when I started on the black fashion thingy (since I'm usually well known to have the more natural ones like brown). A few friends of mine gave me weird look. The fact that it coincided with my early experimentation with make up (mostly eye liner), seemed to be a big change to them. My best friend even asked me if I turned satanist (possibly because I chose the darkest eyeliner color)! A rather odd observation considering I'm openly an atheist. Still, it won't change the fact that black is sexy. (Of course overdoing it can also be a major turn off). But one have to admit, it's actually the easiest color to find a nice combination.

Hmmm, if you want, you can even try the catsuits thingy and go wild! :lmao:But please, oh please, save the neon! Bright red I can take, but never a neon. But of course, if it's an underwear, it's always an exception. B) Well, except if you're wearing it at the beach and I might as well drop into a coma. :lol:

Sorry, you'd go blind if you see me on the beach at the wrong time... I have neon yellow bikinis :D

Sorry, you'd go blind if you see me on the beach at the wrong time... I have neon yellow bikinis :D

-pouts- You're so mean. Should I get into the habit of wearing sunglasses then? But then again, I don't even know if they can help me. :lol: Note to self: Exercise extreme caution when going to the beach.

I tend to wear black or darker colours to work, because otherwise they get waaaay to dirty.

and I wear brighter colours when I'm in a good mood, and most of the time I wear black, dark colours or band t-shirts.

But I try to have bright accessories, they cheer me up :P

as for neon.... they look awesome at a rave, and look like an eye-sore any where else :P

I tend to wear black or darker colours to work, because otherwise they get waaaay to dirty.

and I wear brighter colours when I'm in a good mood, and most of the time I wear black, dark colours or band t-shirts.

But I try to have bright accessories, they cheer me up :P

as for neon.... they look awesome at a rave, and look like an eye-sore any where else :P

I was a fan of bright colors as well, until I discovered that my sluggishness is due to bright colors. I guess colors have opposite effects in us though. Dark colors cheer me up and allows me to focus well, while bright colors gave me a headache and distracts me. In most extreme conditions, bright colors depresses me. That's why I woke up before the sun rises now (at around 5-6 up).

Neon will always be an eyesore, unless of course, if they are mixed with darker and calmer colors. That way, it can't burn our poor sensitive eyes. :D

It's black and white all the way for me and it certainly doesn't depress me, not in the slightest. I like accents of red, purple and violent pink, Black makes me feel safe. Bright accents make me feel lively but a lot of bright colour is frustrating and make me over stimulated and anxious. Pale pastels are okay but they eventualy depress me.

My walls at home are quite a dark blue on three walls and the other is dark red. There are lots of black things... cast iron candle sticks, black lamps etc, with a little colour with the candles, which I have millions of and have been a life saver with the central heating down. I feel very calm and safe at home... it's my refuge :) Other people are not so comfortable here :)

It's black and white all the way for me and it certainly doesn't depress me, not in the slightest. I like accents of red, purple and violent pink, Black makes me feel safe. Bright accents make me feel lively but a lot of bright colour is frustrating and make me over stimulated and anxious. Pale pastels are okay but they eventualy depress me.

My walls at home are quite a dark blue on three walls and the other is dark red. There are lots of black things... cast iron candle sticks, black lamps etc, with a little colour with the candles, which I have millions of and have been a life saver with the central heating down. I feel very calm and safe at home... it's my refuge :) Other people are not so comfortable here :)

Woah, Neph! I'd like to crash into that place sometime. That's not just a refuge, it's a haven! A place to get away from everything. -starry eyed- I liked it! :2thumbs: Although I dislike candles and lamps as I once got burned by them, I won't mind having a vacation in your place! XD Now, we'll just have to make sure the curtains are thick enough and no light gets in. That would be a huge treat for the eyes. Ahhhh.... -dreamily stares into space-

• Site Administrator

I don't need dark colors though you will often find me in browns and greens for clothes due to the fact that I'm a pale redhead and they just look good. I do have some light blue clothing but that is definitely in the minority. I don't do 'bright' though. My husband painted our daughter's room bright shiny yellow and it doesn't seem to affect her but I'v always found I don't like it much. The rest of the house is a faintly tinted white (sort of yellow but not yellow at all if it makes any sense) and a mid-green color. My son's room is a warm blue, darker than baby but not dark. I do tend to gravitate to the darker rooms of the house.

On a different aspect of color and it's influence, I tend to see color as emotion. People are 'colored' as I feel about them. It's definitely jarring when I see them in clothes that don't seem to fit that. My husband is mostly calm and quiet, strong and comforting. He's wears mostly dark colors, deep blue, brown, even maroon/red and it's fine. But when he has to wear flagger type orange shirts or a coat to work it's just not him. My best friend on the other hand is fun, bubbly and a bit flighty, to me she is orange all over :P I know I'm a bit weird but it's something I've learned to get used to.

Many studies have been done regarding colors affecting people's moods. There is a measurable correlation.

For me, I tend to gravitate to more mellow, somewhat muted colors. My house is a pseudo-medieval cottage. Even though it has a number of fairly subdued colors, it also has a great many textures that pop; brick and stone walls, wild Gothic, Eastlake, and Medieval furniture of various wood grains and hues, busy, gilded picture frames and such. The overall effect, I'm told by my friends, makes most of them nervous and paranoid - but I find it inspiring and soothing.

I have noticed a few things about the colors of my own walls. A year ago, the upstairs was blue which made me feel sad, and the downstairs was a dark gray which made me depressed. A while back, I repainted them. My downstairs was painted red, and the upstairs was a light sage green.

After that I noticed that I felt happier upstairs and more relaxed, and downstairs, I felt warmer, and for some reason, me and my boyfriend always want to have sex down there. blink.gif

Edited by Arpeggio

After that I noticed that I felt happier upstairs and more relaxed, and downstairs, I felt warmer, and for some reason, me and my boyfriend always want to have sex down there. blink.gif

Oh... So warmer colors excite someone. Might try to experiment with that sometime. :lol:

Colours do affect my mood a bit.

Blacks, blues, and greys are very relaxing for me, and I chill out best in a room full of those tones.

Reds, oranges, and yellows I'm uptight and usually end up with a headache, which makes me go from tense to bratty.

Bright greens make me annoyed, soft ones are relaxing but energizing at once.

Purple just makes me happy.

My wardrobe tends to reflect the same pattern, whether I want to be that mood or if I'm just showing how I do feel. Except I've been very careful to nix reds, oranges, and yellows completely. They look horrible on me.

• 3 weeks later...

I like earth colours.

pinks and reds make me uncomfortable (when i wear them), although, since i died my hair (Henna red) i actually feel ok in them. Green i love, but i feel most comfortable in blue or grey. i don't like pale colours. white, cream, pale yellow, tan... i feel all bleuk in them. I usually wear large amounts of deep / bright clashing colours. can't help myself.

Or all grey and blue. Hmm...

I read somewhere that Red is supposed to stimulate your appetite. Apparently that's why so many restaurants use it in their colour schemes. Yeah, call me a cynic.