An exemplary life

My neighbor is a nice little fellow, always smiling, living alone for 25 years and who turns 100 this year. I met him this afternoon in front of our house, he returned from his daily walk, and we chatted.

He seemed in good shape and I ventured to ask him what was his recipe to be so well at his age. He smiled in response and told me some episodes of his life.

He started working at age 14 as a dishwasher in a restaurant, made a commercial apprenticeship and worked without incident until 65. He married, had no children and his wife became seriously ill with an incurable disease. He treated her for almost 30 years and found himself alone at age 75. He has since lived a quiet life, appraising good food and drink in moderation, enjoying it most often with longtime friends.

Most of his friends are now dead and his only pleasure now is to sit at a good table, alone since all his friends are gone, and enjoy a fine meal with a few glasses of a good wine.

He smoked "normally" until the age of 95 years, then brought his daily dose down to 5 cigarettes per day and has completely stopped two years ago, without difficulty and without remorse.

Ten years ago, several of his friends have sung the praises of their retirement homes and urged him to come join them. He hesitated a long time, had finally been persuaded, but in the meantime his friends died and he no longer had any reason to go there. Therefore he stayed alone at home till now.

Briefly, a peaceful man, used to stand on its own, fond of good food, making no concern either for himself or for others, having no confidence in doctors and enjoying the little pleasures that Life still can offer him.

But what is the secret of his longevity?

It has nothing to do with heredity. Both his parents died before their 60th year.

His health neither, he had all the usual diseases, prostate cancer, coronary weakness, problems with diabetes and tension.

Only one explanation remains: his attitude toward life :

Take things as they come,

Do not allow anyone to dictate his conduct,

Accepting fate

Allow time to time

Appreciate good food and drinks

And most importantly, learn to enjoy life.

This man is a model for me, and I just wanted to let you make his acquaintance. Perhaps he could be also a model for you ?

Edited by old bob

I am very pleased to make his acquaintance. He sounds like a nice man with nothing to regret in his life. I hope that I will be like him hen I am 100... although I'm not sure I would want to live that long. I don't want to have to watch friends and loved ones die around me. What will be will be.

An interesting fact is that you mentioned he had never had kids. In my biochem class when we were discussing natural selection and such, my prof was telling me about some research he had been involved with in terms of lifespans being potentially linked to when a species procreates. I won't get into all the details, especially since he admitted that there was nothing extremely concrete to go on yet, but basically the research had thusfar suggested a strong link between procreation, and times of death. Essentially the idea that once you have kids, nature has you on the chopping block to die. It seems to me that potentially this might have played into his longevity, as the study appeared to show an increase in lifespan with a delay of having kids (at least in the animals they tested.)

Just a thought :)

• Like 1

An interesting fact is that you mentioned he had never had kids. In my biochem class when we were discussing natural selection and such, my prof was telling me about some research he had been involved with in terms of lifespans being potentially linked to when a species procreates. I won't get into all the details, especially since he admitted that there was nothing extremely concrete to go on yet, but basically the research had thusfar suggested a strong link between procreation, and times of death. Essentially the idea that once you have kids, nature has you on the chopping block to die. It seems to me that potentially this might have played into his longevity, as the study appeared to show an increase in lifespan with a delay of having kids (at least in the animals they tested.)

Just a thought :)

I think your teacher was probably talking about species in general. I can't really get into the why of this here because this isn't the soapbox, but if you'd like to discuss this you could pm me.

This man sounds very interesting, and I hope to be as healthy as he is when(if) I get to be his age. That being said, that sort of quiet life does not appeal to me, so if that is what is necessary to live 100 years, I'll take 50 years of crazed excitement, world travel and stressing over how to make everyone else live to be 100. : P

I think your teacher was probably talking about species in general. I can't really get into the why of this here because this isn't the soapbox, but if you'd like to discuss this you could pm me.

Yeah, I know :P I didnt really feel like typing out an in depth account of the story, so instead opted for a general overview of the study in question.

I like your old-timer friend. And I think you're right, attitude has a great deal to do with quality and quantity.

My great grandfather retired from his hardware store when he was 86 years old. He said people had changed and it was no fun working anymore. At 90 he bought a new house. At 97 he quit driving.

He and I had a good relationship. He was so laid back! Nobody can remember ever hearing a complaint coming from him about his health or about another person. He did have a cute saying though: "If you can't say something nice, just say nothing."

...And there were times when he'd be walking away from a crabby customer muttering under his breath; "Nothing. Nothing. Just nothing."

Attitude. Never leave bed without it!

That sounds pretty awesome, but I wouldn't want to live to be 100. I think I'll be fine with going out in my 50's or my 60's.

When I was 9, my father died. He was 42. I never knew my grandfathers. I always expected to die young.

Lachesis measures as she will.

Wow... 100... From 23 so much can happen... I agree with old bob. This is an exemplary life. The fact that mortality exists, and that we have to face it at some point in our lives is chilling. It has a bittersweet flavor to it.