Open Club  ·  283 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

St. Vincent

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

And Bimeny will be home Tuesday. He will be thrilled to have so much to read. Horny little kid that he is.

Looking forward to them both Mark.

I'm in show until next Friday which means long days and short nights. But if something comes out, I'll forgo the sleep to read it.

My favorite story ever.

So is Mutiny going to be a darker story? Can you tell us at least that much?

Well, I really enjoyed the latest chapter. I am going to assume that the Nash we met was the one that became one of the most important architect of the Regency period. It would have been quite a lucky break for Granger to have arranged something like this, if this is the same man. John Nash did have a a wonderful house on the Isle of Wright called East Cowes Castle. The only fly in the ointment so to speak was that Nash was a very close friend of Charles James Fox, one of Granger's archnemesis.

I loved how Granger handled that officious toad from the Navy board and the poor Lt that was trying to get his men for the press. I am quite sure that all of the men took Granger up on his offer. I was so glad to see Holmquist accompany Granger and our young Welshman home.

I do agree that the scene in the baths was quite delicious. I have to admit I have never seen any writer that used baths to such an advantage as our Mr Arbour... Quite a interesting talent for picking an unsual focus to hit on, it is grand.

I am a little suprised that more of Freddie and Davina's issues were not aired in this chapter but perhaps in the two that are left. I have to admit there seems to be a lot to clear up in only two chapters. Well, if anyone can do it; it is our Mr Arbour...

Agreed. And

Well, I really enjoyed the latest chapter. I am going to assume that the Nash we met was the one that became one of the most important architect of the Regency period. It would have been quite a lucky break for Granger to have arranged something like this, if this is the same man. John Nash did have a a wonderful house on the Isle of Wright called East Cowes Castle. The only fly in the ointment so to speak was that Nash was a very close friend of Charles James Fox, one of Granger's archnemesis.

I loved how Granger handled that officious toad from the Navy board and the poor Lt that was trying to get his men for the press. I am quite sure that all of the men took Granger up on his offer. I was so glad to see Holmquist accompany Granger and our young Welshman home.

I do agree that the scene in the baths was quite delicious. I have to admit I have never seen any writer that used baths to such an advantage as our Mr Arbour... Quite a interesting talent for picking an unsual focus to hit on, it is grand.

I am a little suprised that more of Freddie and Davina's issues were not aired in this chapter but perhaps in the two that are left. I have to admit there seems to be a lot to clear up in only two chapters. Well, if anyone can do it; it is our Mr Arbour...

Agreed. And I have to say that you amaze me with your knowledge of the history and who was associated with whom. Heck, I have trouble knowing my OWN social calendar, let alone the aristocricy of the UK in the 1700's.

And now, you know of this obscure character in the historic Wales architectural society? You are either brilliant or you REALLY need a life. Either way, I enjoy what you bring to the table.

Thanks. Hold this sign for me would you? (Sorry I couldn't correct the direction of the arrow.) Posted Image

• Like 1

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

And Bimeny will be home Tuesday. He will be thrilled to have so much to read. Horny little kid that he is.

Looking forward to them both Mark.

I'm in show until next Friday which means long days and short nights. But if something comes out, I'll forgo the sleep to read it.

My favorite story ever.

So is Mutiny going to be a darker story? Can you tell us at least that much?

Why thank you! I'm so glad Bimeny is coming home! I'm not really planning for the next story to be darker at all.

Well, I engineered it so the land for East Cowes Castle is going to be donated to Mr. Nash in return for his work on Granger's own pad in East Cowes. Nash was an interesting chap, but I don't think his friendship with Fox is that big of an impediment. After all, Jervis was friends with Fox too. Besides, I suspect that if we were to dig deep into Mr. Fox's heart (such that there is one), we'd probably find that he really didn't bear Granger much, if any, animosity.

I think that for Granger, Freddie and Davina are an annoying sideshow at this point. He's got enough on his plate without worrying about them; I suspect he'll leave them to someone else, probably his father.

Posted Image

East Cowes Castle ca. 1824 (from Wiki)

Seeing John Nash in this chapter was fantastic. Remember that this is the man that re-designs the best parts of london (regent street etc). He designed Brighton pavilion, and the nice part of Buckingham Palace (not the frontage we see today, but the building behind it) along with some pretty spectacular private castles. A really interesting chapter :D

• Like 3

I am just so glad our very dearest George has Chartley in his lfe. whithout him I think George would have exploded...and not in a good way.

I have said this before, I do lurve this story. The characters, the tension, the sex, the plot. Bloody masterful. Congrats Mr Arbour, you are a masteful puppeteer.

• Like 1

Nice job, Mark! I wonder if Jervis will blow a gasket when he finds out George is going to the East Indies? Well, this is kind of what was hinted at earlier. I wonder if George will have occasion to punch Glouster between the running lights before he leaves. That would probably get him in trouble with the crown, but I'd bet it would stop the chuckles about him.

So he has a new ship, familiar crew, his wife taken care of, but we don't know yet about his older brother. Did the operation work? What's going to happen to Davina? Something tells me something is going to happen to her...Posted Image

Thanks again for a great chapter, Mark. I always look for your chapters with anticipation!

• Like 1

i wonder how Caroline will take the news that the king has banished her to the country until after the child is born. I think it would be appropriate if the Duke of Clarence and the brotherhood had a little talk with Silly Billy to let him know that Sir George has friends looking out for his interest even if he is far from home.

Can't wait to see the brand new ship and the old reliable crew together.

I do hope that Jervis blows a gasket at losing the only nobleman that he trusts and likes.

I know this part of the story is coming to a close and can't wait to see the opening of the next book of this story. Great job Mark. Posted Image

• Like 1

This chapter was simply sublime.... I cannot say enough about the story developement and how easy it is to slip into these lives lived so long ago. The ease in which we can become lost in this story is truly a mark of what a great writer Mark is and how he continues to grow in talent and skill.

I thought how Granger handled the interview with both the King and the Prince of Wales was masterfully done. Some of this could be credited to his birth and upbringing but some of it is just his innate level of ease not just with himself but all those he comes in contact with. Granger approached both in just the right way and with the perfect blend of respect and submission.

I thought that both meetings with the Earl was well played as well. Granger has to realize that on a trip like this he might not be coming back and that the Earl would need to know the full story. It is easy to see why the Earl favors his younger son so much, recent events not withstanding. You just know that the Earl will do whatever he can to protect and secure George's birthright.

I have to say that Spencer was much more forgiving of having demands made on him then he had to be. I agree that Spencer probably isn't happy about being forced to send Granger off and gave in some to take the sting out of the length of time he will be gone. I would have to wonder if the fathers of some of Granger's more noble officers would really want to see their progeny sent off for this length of time. I guess, we will have to wait and see.

I would think that Caroline would be quite ready to accept the King's suggestion, so to speak. This would give her a reason to stay away from Silly Billy some, if that is what she really wants, and I think it is. Caroline had to realize that something like this was going to come with a certain set of consequences. Plus, banishment from London during the summer would hardly be the most terrible thing to happen; staying in the country would probably be better for both her and the baby.

I hope that Lord Chartley is able to help Granger take his mind off the upcoming trip somewhat. I do hope that the time they will spend apart will just make the heart grow fonder between Granger and Chartley.

The new ship seems like a dream come true. Granger is going to get to keep most of his old crew and officers with one or two added ones to make Spencer happy; this is making it really hard to see where a " mutiny " is going to arise with this set of circumstances in place. Maybe Bertie will mutiny when he is ordered back to London but still doen't see how that would play into how we would understand the term as used in that time.

While I eagerly await the last chapter of this story; I am already having ideas of what comes next running through my mind. Keep up the great work Mark, you are truly an exceptional storyteller....

• Like 3

A fantastic chapter. And I can't add anything to what has already been said except, "He seemed willing, sir,"

A most lovely line. It made me grin uncontrollably. And the NEW SHIP! 32 pound carronades! You better come up with some midshipment that can straddle such beasts! And what of the 18 pounder delivered to Mr Llewellyn's abode bougth from the carcus of the Belvadera? Will Jeffers get to help him . . . uhm install it in his bed chamber? He will be the envy of the town. I dare say no one else will have one!

The new ship sounds delightful. I dare say that Bertie will not be as unhappy as thought. It means his father has accepted him back into the fold that he wanted to warn him.

What scares me is that there is still a lot of Mann/Wilcox in charge of that part of the world I believe. This could turn south really fast. Luckily they will find themselves outgunned.

And what mission could Lord Spencer have for him that would delay him past the typhoon season?

And the King will see him again before leaving? Does that mean that the King will actually board his vessel for some ceremony to bolster Granger and the crews social status? That would be unheard of. But obviously there is "something" of a surprise coming his way.

It should be an interesting next few chapters. The very word Mutiny scares me though. And to devote a book to the word sends shivers up my spine. It's a hanging, not a kiss that is coming.

Great chapter. It tidied up a lot of loose ends. It also did some setting of the stage for the next epic in the saga. Which means this portion is coming to an end....Posted Image

Great job as usual.

He said it still had a few chapters to go. :)
  • Like 1

The last chapter of St. Vincent is wonderful and a fitting end to this installment of George's story. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

While I am sad to see it come to an end, I must say that the stage has been amply set for the next story.

So many questions: What is Chartley's financial involvement with Bertie? What if George has to do without Winkler? Will George be able to keep most of the key members of his crew? Will the new ship be a source of pride or division? Will the sailing be smooth (at least in places)? Will Bertie come along as Chartley promised? Will the sail home be swift or difficult?

Hopefully, Mark finds the muse, the time and the opportunity to not make the wait too long for us Granger afficionados.Posted Image

• Like 1

Good ending, Mark! I'm anxious to read the next phase of the story, so I hope you'll be able to start it soon, if you haven't already.

I wonder what Chartley's involvement with Bertie really is...you made it sound as if there could be more than friendship there, plus Chartley must have money issues with Bertie because he was to anxious to get out there and warn him. There has to be some kind of self interest for him to be in such a hurry. Interesting.

I think Phillips will become a regular in George's bed on the voyage...unless Winkler becomes too jealous...Posted Image jeez...more drama!

• Like 1

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I really feel as if a funeral dirge should be playing and the rain should be pouring as I read this last chapter in the St. Vincent story of the magnificent Bridgemont series. I feel as if I have lost a old friend that is passing from my life. I do know that Granger will be back, but the sorrow of this intermission is worse than most.

I thought that the end when George and Caroline started in the garden and then finally ended up in the bedroom was just wonderfully written. It played out in such a synergistic manner and each syllable just seemed to lead perfectly to the next. Caroline, I think, for the first time really understood how much damage she had done. It is obvious that she truly loves George but just made a truly bad choice either out of loneliness and emptiness with George being gone so much or by Silly Billy turning her head with his royal connection. I do think that she will recover her position especially since it appears that she and George will come back stronger than ever. In the end the King and the Prince of Wales will probably both help her because she is giving birth to a child of royal blood plus; George has agreed to raise it as if it was his own. This will in the end probably give her more influence not less. She will have to be more discreet if there is to be any other men in her life after this. I don't think that George would be disagreeable to this if it was conducted with more discreetion.

I really like how George and his father were able to repair so much of their relationship toward the end of this story. The Earl has always been the family member that George saw as his rock. I do think that the Earl has learned to appreciate his youngest son even more than he already did. It is easy to blind oneself to the truth in reaching for a goal but the best people learn to look at themselves and in the end they do the right thing.

I really do think that even with the doctor maybe fixing Freddie's condition, that he and Daviina have played out their positions in this story. A freak storm while they are at sea or a hurricane once they reach the island would take care of so much. Freddie might make a comeback but not with Davina as the stone around his neck. I still think she at least has to go; no matter what no one would ever feel safe after what she did to George, no matter what her reason was.

Winkler will be sorely missed if he and Jeffers decide to remain on land, Jeffers as well of course. This being said, I don't think I would forsee any type of physical relationship between Phillips and Granger if he were to take Winklers place. That type of relationship never existed between Winkler and Granger and just would cause way to many issues. A manservant in that time and place would act as more of a bulwark against anyone that caused Granger problems. He would guard Granger's secret not make an attempt to become part of it.

Now that part that will play the biggest issues in the next story, Bertie and Chartle; what is their relationship and how will it effect Granger. We already know that Charley feels more for Bertie than Bertie did for Chartley, one night of passion meant a lot more to Chartley than it did to Bertie. I think Bertie is the kind of man that might sleep with another man for political gain, or to relieve the boredom of the evening but he will not ever form a relationship with another man. Chartley may still have feelings for Bertie but I really do believe that he cares deeply for Granger. That being said, there is obviously still some tie to Bertie that is hidden for the moment. A good guess would be money. We know from the story that Bertie has made a huge fortune in the Far East and Chartley made a fortune as well, but we really don't know how much. Is a good part of it still tied up with Bertie trying to increase it, this would make his position back home more stable and give a plausible reason for why he would feel the need to rush to warn Bertie. Something else to worry about would be Chartley traveling in a sloop. A ship that small would be in danger from both the weather and those that England are at war with right now. It seems to me that if Granger is being delayed to avoid the storms then Chartley is about to sail straight into them. i really hope we don't lose Chartley so soon. How will Bertie and Chartley play into the idea of a " mutiny " or are they even the ones that play into that?

Take a while and enjoy the feeling of finishing this great chapter Mark, we just expect the first one for the new story by the end of the week... LOL...Posted Image

• Like 3

A great story Mark. I think it would be great to do these in print. Like a lulu or Smashwords. I, of course will be making them text to speech for my long drives.

Winkler going away? A red herring I hope. I can't see them turning down a new ship. It's maiden voyage. HEY, was that a pun? Given the explanation of the name. . . Posted Image

Chartley obviously has a serious investment there. Especially since he was able to commit Bertie. It shows considerable leverage on Chartley's part.

Have to say I was a little disappointed that there wasn't even a "mention" of the reception the 18 pounder got arriving at Llwelyn's place. But perhaps that is saved for the open of the next story. And 32 pound caronades! Better be a buxom midshipmen staff to kiss one of those. Posted Image

And what of Phillips? Where does he fit in. Judging from what we know and the bath he gave granger when he cleaned him up he wants some of that and you can't protect Granger if you are part of what you are trying to hide. So bumping uglies is out of the question. So where will he fit in? And will any of the men sent by the admiralty be the men pressed from Davina's household?

I have the feeling the King will dedicate the new ship, thus bestowing a great honor on Granger and his crew. He DID say he would be seeing him again before he left.

And what of the brotherhood? We have seen nor heard from them. I hope Arthur gets his act together.

And lets see some powder monkeys in the next one Mark. There be caronades to polish!

So now Mark, Mutiny! Such a scary word for the times. Looking forward to the next book eagerly. And what the heck Mark, you don't need a life anyways right?

• Like 1

Thanks for the excellent feedback! It's been great throughout this story!

I know there are a lot of questions that have been left unanswered, but I'm hoping you see that as my pledge to keep going, rather than a detriment. Granger's life has become very complex, and it's unlikely that we'll have wonderful wrap-ups like we did before.

Honestly, I used to be into the CAP saga much more than George. However after reading and rereading George's story over and over I have grown to love him just as much. Of course who wouldn't be drawn to the young handsome captain and his adventures. When I think back to the beginning of St.Vincent and all that has happened since it began I am amazed. George has been through so much many of these thing would have over whelmed most people. But George has been able to survived. When Mark used that aweful word Mutiny I could not think how that would be possible. George has always treated the officers and crew very well. He loved them as much as they loved him. Now with a new ship and some new officers and crew it maybe possible. In St Vincent there were a few times were touch and go. Mr. Roberts and others had George's back. Who has his back now?

• Like 1

Honestly, I used to be into the CAP saga much more than George. However after reading and rereading George's story over and over I have grown to love him just as much. Of course who wouldn't be drawn to the young handsome captain and his adventures. When I think back to the beginning of St.Vincent and all that has happened since it began I am amazed. George has been through so much many of these thing would have over whelmed most people. But George has been able to survived. When Mark used that aweful word Mutiny I could not think how that would be possible. George has always treated the officers and crew very well. He loved them as much as they loved him. Now with a new ship and some new officers and crew it maybe possible. In St Vincent there were a few times were touch and go. Mr. Roberts and others had George's back. Who has his back now?

I'm glad you are enjoying this series! I'm thinking of a name change for the next story. I'll let you know.

We also don't know what the word is tied to rjo. Mutiny can mean betrayal. It's just that this being a naval story rather leads one to think of it in naval terms. It is certainly not as innocuous as the other book names and, at least for me, has a negative connotation to it. A rather verboten feeling with it. I am hoping it is not the centerpiece of the story. But regardless, it will be a great story.

• Like 1

Mutiny!

Remakable that the use of one word causes such trepidation among readers of this saga. I have no doubt that Granger will prevail, no matter which side of a mutiny he may be on. I would follow the handsome young captain anywhere he would lead me.

• Like 2

Mutiny!

Remakable that the use of one word causes such trepidation among readers of this saga. I have no doubt that Granger will prevail, no matter which side of a mutiny he may be on. I would follow the handsome young captain anywhere he would lead me.

Part of the reason for such intimidation is that anyone who reads these stories becomes a member of the crew for a while while they experience the word pictures Mark draws so well. The Royal Navy had seldom had problems because their punishments were so severe. And they were very clear and known. Death by hanging. And it would not be everyone at once. Leaders and worst of the worst first. Sometimes they would be left hanging for the day. Letting the vision soak in. Then they were very unceremoniously thrown over the side to feed the sharks.

Mark writes so well that the stories and feelings stay with the reader long after the words play out on the page. So ya, Mutiny makes me nervous. It's the most severe crime that can occur on a ship and met with absolutely no leniency or emotion. It's for sure, a one way ticket straight to hell. EVEN IF YOU WIN! It is a really rare occasion that it is justified but even then someone will pay the piper.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a mental outline of th e next story in my head, but I'm going to work with it a while before I launch anything. Please be patient.

LOL Patients are in horse pistols or hospital even. I waited a whole week, I'm old (as in second childhood. Don't even think senile).

Just trying to let you know I have not forgotten about Sir George. Thanks again for this wonderful series.

Jim

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..