Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

St. Vincent

George Granger has returned! This story should post at a slower pace, but hey, at least it's posting, right? Enjoy!

You can find St. Vincent here.

Excellent!!! I can't wait for the next chapter! What a wonderful surprise...I wasn't expecting anything about Sir George so soon! So, please don't be too slow about posting!

• Like 1

By the way, the way the new announcement thread works at GA, it's entirely likely you won't see notifications in the sidebar. I'd recommend that you go to the story and "like" it, that way you'll get updates when it's posted.

Indeed a very pleasant surprise to hear from Sir George!

I look forward to meeting Albert Villiers and Mr. Elijah Ramsey and learning if they are friend or foe, and if they are night visitors to Granger's cabin.

Although I wish for a speedy next chapter, I respect the research and time consuming extra effort that goes into this series . . . so I will wait patiently . . . while reading the next new story in the CAP series.

Thanks Mark for keeping me entertained!

• Like 2

Well, I am so excited about the new story, " St. Vincent "... This was a really well written and delightful chapter to start off a new story with. I am so excited to see a new Bridgemont series story this soon.

I cannot believe how much I enjoy the writing and developement of these stories. The are consistently amoung the best that I have ever read for the time frame that they are written in.

Thanks for getting another story started even if we do have to wait a little for the chapters...

• Like 1

George Granger has returned! This story should post at a slower pace, but hey, at least it's posting, right? Enjoy!

You can find St. Vincent here.

Wow!!! ---- We are now, both, into British Navel History, thanks to Mark Arbour... :boy: :boy:

• Like 1

My favorite line from this chapter:

“As the mood has suddenly darkened, and your expressions have become dour, I can only suspect that either some great disaster has befallen us, or Mr. Fox is present,” Granger said to the crowd in general.

Well, Chapter 2 was up much faster than I had anticipated... It was grand and seems to be laying some nice groundwork for future chapters. I really can't wait to see who George ends up being pursued by in this story... He is just so dynamic and vibrant that all the men gravitate towards him.

It was a nice touch to have a Scots as one of the captains of the Spainish ships, this happened quite often actually but usually on the smaller ships, not the ship of the lines. It is these little touches that make Mark's stories so believable...

Can't wait to see all the adventures that Mark takes Granger on before the big battle...

Well, Chapter 2 was up much faster than I had anticipated... It was grand and seems to be laying some nice groundwork for future chapters. I really can't wait to see who George ends up being pursued by in this story... He is just so dynamic and vibrant that all the men gravitate towards him.

It was a nice touch to have a Scots as one of the captains of the Spainish ships, this happened quite often actually but usually on the smaller ships, not the ship of the lines. It is these little touches that make Mark's stories so believable...

Can't wait to see all the adventures that Mark takes Granger on before the big battle...

Thanks! Actually, Don Jacobo Stuart was Captain of the frigate La Sabina, not a ship of the line..not to split hairs.

I must admit to reading ch 2 with one eye on who next would be Sir George's comforter!!

Mr Arbour, :worship: , you are aging dear Grainger very well - I liked the, momentary, regret at leaving his growing family.

Now find him someone to bugger before his frustration causes him harm!

I've been re-reading the Bridgemont series and been totally recaptivated with our Mr. Granger.

I was wondering, Mark, if you might respond to a few questions, if possible, without giving away state secrets......

Have you thought about how far you see this story going?

Does it end with Granger, or might it continue with one of his sons??

Would you ever consider a story or side-story in the series from one of his son's (grandson, great grandson's) point of view?

Are there any other periods of history you would like to derive a story from??

And last question, do you enjoy writing/researching one series more than the other??

I'm just curious, as the CAP world has expanded to include so many generations and extended family characters, but Bridgemont has totally focused on George and his rise though the ranks.

They are both so great, but so different, and to have come from the same author is just a tad mindboggling. I would just like to pick your brain a bit.

You can answer or not answer as you see fit. I won't take it personally if you choose not to answer any or all, especially if it would give away anything you see as a spoiler.

Edited by Ivy
  • Like 1

I've been re-reading the Bridgemont series and been totally recaptivated with our Mr. Granger.

I was wondering, Mark, if you might respond to a few questions, if possible, without giving away state secrets......

Happy to oblige, ma'am.Posted Image

Have you thought about how far you see this story going?

I haven't, although I've visualized some adventures for Granger after the end of the Napoleonic Wars, so I'd say they'll go for as long as I'm interested in writing them, people are interested in reading them, and/or George dies.

Does it end with Granger, or might it continue with one of his sons??

I guess that's theoretically possible, although I hadn't thought about continuing with his son (s)

Would you ever consider a story or side-story in the series from one of his son's (grandson, great grandson's) point of view?

Another interesting possibility. That would be a way to lunge into another period of history, especially naval history.

Are there any other periods of history you would like to derive a story from??

I love French history, so somewhere down the road is a story set at the court of Louis XIV. I have an interesting twist to the Man in the Iron Mask story in mind.

And last question, do you enjoy writing/researching one series more than the other?

It really depends on my mood. CAP is easier to write, because I can get more into the characters and let the flow of the story really take me. That's because it's more modern, and doesn't require as much research. With Bridgemont, I like to make sure that the story compliments or steals events from history, and that takes a bit more work.

• Like 1

Happy to oblige, ma'am.Posted Image

I haven't, although I've visualized some adventures for Granger after the end of the Napoleonic Wars, so I'd say they'll go for as long as I'm interested in writing them, people are interested in reading them, and/or George dies.

I guess that's theoretically possible, although I hadn't thought about continuing with his son (s)

Another interesting possibility. That would be a way to lunge into another period of history, especially naval history.

I love French history, so somewhere down the road is a story set at the court of Louis XIV. I have an interesting twist to the Man in the Iron Mask story in mind.

It really depends on my mood. CAP is easier to write, because I can get more into the characters and let the flow of the story really take me. That's because it's more modern, and doesn't require as much research. With Bridgemont, I like to make sure that the story compliments or steals events from history, and that takes a bit more work.

Thank you, kind sir!

And I think people will always be interested in your stories, so let that flow take you where ever it wants to.

• Like 1

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Well, I read the third chapter of St Vincent and can't stop crying.... As always the writing and story development are magnificent, I think Mark can't get any better and then he does... The way Mark was able to infuse this story with such a sense of loss and agony with only words on the page was truly remarkable.

I will miss Travers, to me at least, he was the only one of Granger's loves that was really a man. Now, I am not talking about all the men that Granger has sex with on occassion, think Somers, the Duke of Clarence, etc... What I mean is that of the men that Granger loves Travers was the only man; Calvert and Cavendish have always seemed to be more boys than men. I am not only referring to their age but their demeanor and behaviour as well.

I really believe that Granger needs a man in his life not just boys, and I don't mean that in the way of Granger being on top or bottom in sex. Granger needs someone that is strong and steady, someone that is his equal maybe not in position but in attitude and experience, and I don't think that either Calvert or Cavendish will ever be that person.

War is hell, and I sort of saw Travers death coming but it was still horrific to me... Travers was a true Officer and Gentlemen to the end though, worrying about his ship and men instead of himself to the end. I am so glad that Mark allowed Granger to say goodbye to Travers and for Travers to know in the end that Granger still loved him.... I have to wonder if Travers won't reach out to Granger from the grave in the form of a letter or will to let him know how much he truly loved and cared for him.

Travers touched many lives and will be missed by more than just Granger... Caroline really liked and respected Travers; Robey, even though he may have found someone else, will be devestated by this I think; and Arthur even really like Travers...

Rest In Peace, John Travers, you will be missed and honored......

• Like 1

In some ways George and Steven (Stefan's father) are the same. They are out there alone. In the CAP saga you have a group of guys who support each other. George is out there alone. John's death will hit him to the core. George lost his lover, mentor and friend all in one blow. It would be like Brad losing Stef, Robbie and JP all at once ( Mark don't you do that). Brad would still have his kids and Cody. George needs love. I hope he finds someone who can fill that role.

• Like 1

I've just finished reading chapter three and it's left me in tears. I know that George was worrying about Travers and himself growing apart, but the sudden finality in this chapter really hit me. Sailing about in wooden ships probably may seem glamorous, that is...until you find yourself slugging it out in a unequal battle, death and destruction raining down about your head. In the past, I've watched movies about fighting in wooden ships and never really thought about all the splinters flying about, just the rigging coming down or cannon balls smacking into you. But the real danger is the splinters...like fragmentation grenades, I suppose...that and fire. Be that as it may, I had a feeling Travers would probably die in battle soon, and now I need to see if George has the strength he needs to go on. Personally, I feel he does have that strength, as his character has shown, but death can be a debilitating thing, and grieving too long for a loved one can be devastating too. :(

Great chapter, despite the sadness, and now George needs to go kick that Spaniard's ass...

Edited by Clydee
  • Like 1

Glad, I wasn't the only one with tears! At least I'm in the office alone today.

I just want to crawl through my laptop screen and give George a hug.

George's fondness of the Spanish might fade a bit after this. We've seen George in action, but this is going to turn him into a demon against the French.

I think George is going to internally beat himself to death over this. He is so hard on himself. George has had such successes and this is the first time he wasn't able to save the day so to speak.

We think of a splinter as a tiny little thing that we pull out of our finger with tweezers. They had to watch out for giant killer splinters!

Holy crap, I can't believe Travers is gone.:,(

• Like 2

I appreciate all of your thoughts and feedback. Putting my author's hat on, it really did have to happen, and this way was best. George identified it himself, the chasm between them. He and Travers were from completely different worlds, and they were united by love, and by a master/apprentice type relationship. Once they were peers in the navy, the differences in their worlds were bound to make their relationship different.

I felt that this was a fitting end for a deserving character like John Travers. So steady and resolute (most of the time), he got a hero's death, going down with his ship.

I appreciate all of your thoughts and feedback. Putting my author's hat on, it really did have to happen, and this way was best. George identified it himself, the chasm between them. He and Travers were from completely different worlds, and they were united by love, and by a master/apprentice type relationship. Once they were peers in the navy, the differences in their worlds were bound to make their relationship different.

I felt that this was a fitting end for a deserving character like John Travers. So steady and resolute (most of the time), he got a hero's death, going down with his ship.

I follow your reasoning here and have to grudgingly agree, Mark. However, Travers' death still was tough to take and a few tears certainly follow for characters who you develop so well and we have come to care about very much. This death was fitting and wasn't like a death or two in past stories that almost came out of nowhere. :devil:

• Like 1

All day at work I saw in my mind the burning body of George's dear friend John Travers. Unbelieveiblily sad. I really feel bad for George. If I can't get it out of my mind how can George?

Edited by rjo

wholeheartedly agree, I must admit that you well and truly surprised me with this one. I had a feeling from the moment the two vessels taking on the frigate were sighted that something out of the ordinary was about to happen, but JT's death was definately not something that I thought of. One thing - you could have given them one last "bang at the can" (so to speak) on the Rock, before JT's assignation wih his maker..... Hey but that's probably why you're an author, and I'm a runt-reader!!!

Edited by Canuk

OMG you killed Travers... you *******! :P

Didn't see that coming at all, but I have to say that was a fitting end and a brilliantly executed demise.

Loneliness is starting to creep into Grangers psyche, and this must be a hammer blow for him. Going to be a interesting ride now to see how he copes with this tragedy.

• Like 1

:,( :,( :,(

Okay, I have finally stoped the flow of tears and have read the chapter a few times and I still want to cry... As I stated earlier, Mark did an exceptional job of writing in this chapter. His ability to pull the level of sorrow with just words on a page from so many is extrodinary.

I had already suspected that Travers would not survive this story in the series but didn't expect him to go this early. I agree with Mark's statement that once the two men became on a more even footing in the navy, Granger's social position would have become more of a gulf to overcome.

Travers was related to Sir Evelyn Fellows so some of the gulf might have been breached but not all. England was and still is a very rigid country in it's social levels. It is next to impossible to move from one level to a higher level in one generation. What is generally done is by marriage a person move to another level, they may not even be really accepted, however their children or grandchildren may be accepted instead. My impression because of what was said in earlier stories was that Travers was probably from some minor landed gentry family. Travers's father was in command of a ship in the previous war, although he had betrayed his country, and Fellows was the family name of prominent landed gentry family in Scotland. The Fellowes were part of the Baronet class This being said, the distance between the Baronet class and the Peers of the Realm, especially the level of Earl is very wide.

I do think with Travers death Granger will be free to find his true partner. Granger will need a man of his social level but also a " Man " in bearing, temperment, experience, and behaviour. I know some will pick Cavendish or Calvert but I don't think either of them really fit.

Although I am bereft after this chapter, I await with restlessness to see where Mark takes the story now.....

Edited by centexhairysub
  • Like 1

Oh, John Travers.... :( RIP.

But I agree that it was sort of bound to happen, and this way he died a hero's death. Poor George. Hmm, I can't really think of anything profound to say right now... but I do think this can take the story in some interesting directions.

As far as George's true love goes, I'd kind of had Cavendish pinned in that category for a while now, but I'm starting to doubt that one. Who knows......I hope George doesn't have to wait too long to find the right one.

OK, one other thought regarding George's love life...with serious relationships he'll always have the same problem of looming separation if his lieutenant or whoever gets moved to another ship. Except.... if it was the ship's doctor (not the current one...) or some other staff who is stuck and won't be promoted. Hmmm.... but then again, that wouldn't allow for as much promiscuity as the story has right now ;) I can't wait to see which way life takes George after this.....

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..