Unsanctioned Contest

Hey,

I'm sorry to bother the writer's corner, but I thought up a idea, and I asked my chatmates (Bumblebee and Quonus10) and they agreed with me, so... here it is:

I want to do a unsanctioned contest where I would like to see who writes the best story. Here's the catch... I'm deaf, so you must include a deaf gay character in the story. So basically it's just a writing contest for the best story with a deaf gay character as a supporting role.

It won't hurt to try because I noticed in the history of GA before, there's no stories written with deaf gay characters in it. So why not break down the barrier?

John

• Site Administrator

I thought I would move this topic here to see if it could generate some more interest.

Also, if you have read any stories with a gay, deaf character, let us know.

I'm sure it would be interesting to see if any of our great authors could come up with a story, short story with a gay deaf character. I think it would be a challenge to show how they would communicate with a non deaf character on a different level than what we normally expect.

So who is up for the challenge?

The rules:

1) Must contain a deaf gay character as the main character or a supporting role

2) The contest will start March 28th and end April 28th

3) I'll be the head judge. If anyone's interested to be a judge, contact me and I'll update the rules

4) Must be a story with a minimum of 1 chapter or more.

5) If wanted, you can post the story in GA Stories and post the link here in the thread.

I'll think about adding more rules later (I'm very flexible)

Edited by Rakuten06

I thought I would move this topic here to see if it could generate some more interest.

Also, if you have read any stories with a gay, deaf character, let us know.

I read a rather sweet one once (a short story), but it was back in my lurking days and I can't remember the title. Maybe someone else would get it from the details-- there was a winter storm, and school let out early. The MC was deaf, and got hit w/ a snowball or something while on his way home (he got in the crosshairs of a snowball fight, I believe). He ends up going home w/ one of the guys . . . ring any bells for anyone?

• Site Administrator

The rules:

1) Must contain a deaf gay character as the main character or a supporting role

2) The contest will start March 28th and end April 28th

3) I'll be the head judge. If anyone's interested to be a judge, contact me and I'll update the rules

4) Must be a story with a minimum of 3 chapters or more.

5) If wanted, you can post the story in GA Stories and post the link here in the thread.

I'll think about adding more rules later (I'm very flexible)

I'll just comment that on a practical notes, asking someone to write a story of at least three chapters in a month and a half is a big ask :) I would suggest that they post the first chapter in that timeframe, because otherwise you're only going to get the speed demons.

Now, as for stories, I remember reading a short story a long time ago where the lead character was mute. I can't remember if he was also deaf (from memory he was, and he 'heard' dialogue through lip reading). It was a really sweet story, but I can't remember the name and I can't find it with a quite search on Nifty. Sorry :(

Thank you for starting this thread. If you hadn't I would never have read those wonderful stories.

I would love to say that I will write a story for this competition but there is no way I could squeeze it in right now.

Good luck to everyone who does write.

That one of Lugh's is one of my favorite anthology stories. In fact, it's listed on the October 2010 short story recommendations for Best of Nifty (and the Net) along with several others from GA.

Hey, this sounds like a great idea! I would love to write maybe a short story for this(if I find the time). Only, my problem is, I don't have much experience with deaf people. I have had friends with hearing difficulties but not deaf. Um, I guess I would like to write a story and will try research as much as possible, but I would hate to slip up in some way without realizing and unconsciously offend in some way, ekkk!

As for stories, have you read 'St Nacho's' but Z.A Maxfield? That is a story about one deaf guy and a musician. Parts of the story I really liked (it may be slightly on the 'too much sex' side, but overall it's good).

All the best for this competition here then. :)

• Like 1

Hey,

Thanks for being interested in the contest (I will still use the name unsanctioned) for the stories and also the links to deaf-related stories :)

If more people are interested in writing a story or becoming a judge, let me know :)

I have also read St. Nacho's by Z. A. Maxfield. It's the only story I can think of with a deaf gay character in it, and I really enjoyed the beginning, though I think they got into the sex too quickly. It's available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/St-Nachos-ebook/dp/B003FMV3YW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A24IB90LPZJ0BS&s=digital-text&qid=1300225600&sr=1-1

Hey, reminder to y'all... The contest begins on March 28th, which is a week and a day away...

I have an author ready to compete: Cailen! Let me know who are officially interested in the contest, please pm me.

I already have a judge ready but that person asked to keep it anonymous, so... but when the weekend before the start of the contest arrives, I will tell about the judging system me and the judge (or judges if we get more) work on.

Like I say, for other people, if interested in being additional judges for the contest, please let me know by pm too.

John

Edited by Rakuten06
  • 2 weeks later...

The contest begins!!! Authors who composed the first chapter may post the link here at the thread.

I decided that I and the anonymous judge will judge based on the feedback of the reviewers and how the stories are connecting to the deaf person itself (my area of judging) while the anonymous judge will judge the stories based on how well they write (the judge is an GA author herself). By the end of the contest, we will discuss about it and award 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (if we can get more stories by that or not) and honorable mention too.

So... May the best author win the Unsanctioned Contest!

John

Um, hey, I decided I didn't want to participate in the competition (mainly because I just won't finish a story in time) BUT, I loved the idea of writing something with a deaf character, so I've attempted a first chapter of something that if people like enough, I will continue (but slowly).

In case you would like to check this out, it can be found here: Pitfalls of the Boot Pit (the deaf character is not the MC, but the will be love interest)

• Like 2

Rizan, It's not too late to post it. I allowed everyone to post till the contest ended on April 28th.

Anyta, I understand totally, but you don't have to finish a story for this contest. You can create stories for the contest, if people liked it, then you can continue it after the contest ends anyway.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've decided i really want to do this... but

a) i have like 6 days (at least it's a long weekend...)

and

B) i'm not not not not not good at writing on demand...

sooo.... i guess i'll see how i go!!!

Eeeekk!!!

* feverishly starts scribbling *...

edit : HA that was supposed to be a ' b ) ' as in 'point b'. Silly emoticons lols :D

Edited by Zolia Lily