Great places to go to by yourself?

My birthday's in 2 weeks and I'm looking at places I want to go to for that weekend.

Alone.

Away from the same things I've been looking at or doing for years and people I know.

I think it would be good for me and I can come back a bit more level headed and composed.

Anyone know of somewhere good? I'd like somewhere with great scenary, maybe a beach? Great local food and preferably within the US since I'll have only 2 1/2 days....not somewhere catered to tourism or couples or groups of friends because that'll defeat the purpose. If somebody has done something similar, I'd love to hear of experiences.

Oohh I can't wait.

Edited by Yang Bang
  • Like 1

You can always come to stay with me but wirth 2 1/2 days not really feasible is it :)

Sorry hun, don't know the US at all. But good luck for an awesome break and you have to tell us all about it when you get back

I'd suggest Coronado - just across the bridge from San Diego. Has some touristy stuff - but what beach area doesn't - but is mostly a residential community - they have plenty of hotels etc, but it is isn't one giant tourist attraction like most beach areas. San Diego is as I said just over the bridge, or you can take the water taxi. The beach is decent - not the world's best but still good, and there's lots to do.

Whatever you decide - enjoy it.

Andy

• Like 1

2.5 days means you either stay pretty close, or spend a good deal of time travelling. Mustang Island for a quiet beach experience? Enchanted Rock is great, and has Fredericksburg nearby. Assuming you're going alone because you want to be alone, either would give you a good chance to recharge your batteries, and both would offer good nighttime skies.

I don't know of any beach areas that would be suitable; however, I know a million other places that are great for escapes.

The Grand Canyon isn't too far and can be a great place. Or the four corners area, lots of canyons and hiking trails there. I especially enjoyed spending time in the Anastasie cliff dwellings.

I don't know what inspires you, but a spot that I have not been able to get to yet is The Bishop's Palace, in Galveston. From I know of the place, it is not a huge tourist attraction and is something different than the norm. It's also near a beach, come to think of it!

Sedona, Arizona. Get some weed, some crystals, and hike.

Yes! I was thinking the same thing when I saw the op. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yang, you should seriously consider Sedona if you want to get away. It's nice weather up there, plus you could go hiking and rent a bike and go mountain biking.

sans weed along all that red rock Sedona's a pretty good place to withdraw and reflect about stuff. Anyways, hope this feedback helps.

http://www.visitsedona.com/index.php/

Edited by Caedus

I have been lucky enough in my life to have been able to take several short trips like you are thinking of, just to slow down and empty my head.

Some of my best short trips were:

1) A trip through Shenandoah Valley along the Blue Ridge Parkway into North Carolina. Beautiful country and very peaceful and I was never bothered by crowds. Just a very peaceful trip. http://www.blueridgeskyline.com/

2) For short beach trips I found St Augustine Florida enjoyable, much quieter than most Florida Beaches and great food in the Old City of St Augustine. I also found Cocoa Beach Florida more laid back and not so filled with tourist and a nice short trip. Cococa Beach is also close to Disney World but Disney is crowded tourism to it's MAX. If you want more noise and action there is always Key West Florida but I think the beaches there suck. But I've enjoyed a few short trips there. (I am actually planning a short return trip to St Augustine in May just to get away)

3) If you are into Museums a couple of days at the Smithsonian was a great trip. The Art Museums are usually not very crowded with all the tourist and I found them quiet and relaxing. Reflecting upon the art and clearing my head for a peaceful couple of days.

4) For a short city trip I usually would head to Chicago, ride the "L" train to boystown and roam around. Lots of small local eateries there. You also have the Lakeshore beaches and walkway plus Museums or shopping if you enjoy that. Even took in a Cubs game on one trip. Southwest Airlines always seemed to have good deals flying into Midway Airport and the "L" train is an easy trip into downtown from Midway.

5) A short trip to Mammouth Cave Kentucky was pretty cool and relaxing. Wasn't crowded, lots of trails in the woods and under ground in the Caves. Many of the Cave hikes are self guided. It was something different and relaxing. http://www.nps.gov/m...gocavetours.htm

Well those are a few suggestions that have worked for me. Hope you have a good relaxing, safe peaceful trip where ever you decide to head.

Edited by KYE