The Case for Cursive

I hate to print. I have to do it for filling in most legal forms but I really hate it. I much prefer 'joined up writing' and I can engage in calligraphy well when i really want to, although my patience is limited because I like to do everything fast. Nothing is ever fast enough to get my thoughts down :)

I'm the opposite, I can't stand writing. Mostly because I'm not practiced enough to be fast at it, but there it is. Also, fine motor control like that is extremely taxing on me. Seriously, threading a needle can give me a minor headache. So I print. Sloppily. I type when I can get away with it.

Both. When I absolutely have to handwrite, my handwriting tends to be a blend of cursive and print that I think does away with some of the more illogical cursive versions, like the cursive G. How the heck does something resembling a pregnant treble clef mean "G"? Actually...most of my uppercase letters seem to be a modified print style, most of my lowercase are cursive. So I guess I have my own personal handwriting 'font', as it were.

I hate to print. I have to do it for filling in most legal forms but I really hate it. I much prefer 'joined up writing' and I can engage in calligraphy well when i really want to, although my patience is limited because I like to do everything fast. Nothing is ever fast enough to get my thoughts down :)

I like to use caligraphy for envelopes, what style do you use Nephy?

Cursive all the way!

Well, not all of the way. I use block letters for emphasis or the headlines of lists, for example. All my writing, though, is cursive.

Is it a skill that we should be sad about losing? I don't know. The question is akin to the question of what we loose by reading a novel on an ereader instead of in a book. I do love the smell of a new book but I have enjoyed many great literary works on my pda and don't really have the sense of loss.

I'm weird with this. I really want to be able to write cursive well on paper, but I just don't have a steady enough hand.

On a chalkboard or dry-erase board however, I have beautiful writing because that's all wrist and arm movement. (Har har har.)

Also I can write backward cursive with my left hand.

Dude that's rad. Where'd you learn that! I want to be able to do that :D

It's probably self-taught. I can do it too, but because comes more naturally for me, being left-handed in a world that writes in a right-hand way.

I'm weird with this. I really want to be able to write cursive well on paper, but I just don't have a steady enough hand.

On a chalkboard or dry-erase board however, I have beautiful writing because that's all wrist and arm movement. (Har har har.)

Also I can write backward cursive with my left hand.

The University of Minnesota did a study about people with the ability to write backward.

Less than 10% of the population is supposed to have this ability. It demonstrates an ability to simultaneously utilize both hemispheres of the brain.

I participated in the study since I was left-handed and regularly wrote everything backward, (to avoid the spiral on the side of the tablet).

Using my left and right hand I can write forward simultaneously, one forward while one is backward and then trade directions, backward with both, or upside down going forward or backward as well. I was informed that THAT was just weird!