The Case for Cursive

Interesting article.

The Case for Cursive

For centuries, cursive handwriting has been an art. To a growing number of young people, it is a mystery.

The sinuous letters of the cursive alphabet, swirled on countless love letters, credit card slips and banners above elementary school chalk boards are going the way of the quill and inkwell. With computer keyboards and smartphones increasingly occupying young fingers, the gradual death of the fancier ABC’s is revealing some unforeseen challenges.

So...are you sinuous and swirled? Or are you plain and printed?

• Site Administrator

I'm a mix. I use both cursive and print letters as I write by hand. My daughter (7) already likes to play at writing cursive so she will not be adverse to learning.

my handwriting is more towards cursive and unless using capitals I cannot stand unjoined up handwriting lol

I think cursive handwriting is a nice style and I would be sad if it disappeared.

My writing is lazy. I connect some letters because it allows me to write faster, but I always write in print. We were forced to learn and write in all cursive from 3rd grade till 8th, with the teachers telling us that the high school teachers required writing in cursive for everything. Well, that turned out to be a load of crap. I was never once required to write in cursive in high school, and the only time I had to write in cursive was for the SATs. Cursive is a dying art. And besides, some people's cursive is impossible to read because it varies much more then print writing does.

As a kid, I had the neatest cutest little cursive handwriting that teachers just eat up and go googoo on me.

It lasted til I was old enough for it to start looking gay rather than cute so I turned it down a few notches and wrote in chicken scratch instead of unicorn stamps ever since.

Sometimes I feel like I can get diabetes from just looking at some of the elementary school work I've kept

Cursive :)

And thankfully i write enough by hand still to have been able to maintain it! :)

I had to work hard at it too! :P I had a teacher who would tap mu knuckles with a pencil every time it would look even close to printed! so.. :)

me likes cursive writing! and I'd hate if it goes away too! :(

I have pretty cursive handwriting.. :P But if I'm taking notes or something.. It's a mixture of print and cursive. I know when I was in grade school 4th grade on we had to write in cursive until Middle School when it wasn't enforced.

My writing is lazy. I connect some letters because it allows me to write faster, but I always write in print.

Same here, I've been told my handwriting looks like spaghetti :P I could never write in cursive, it takes too much effort.

I've been told my printing looks like a type font. My script looks pretty grim these days. Every few years, that happens, and I have to work on it again. Then, I breat out a goose quill and ink pot, and start writing letters to folks. Pen and ink requires discipline and concentration, and it's very soothing for me, like meditation with a purpose.

That habit earned me a lot of points with my partner when we first got together.

I write in cursive nearly all the time: I don't really know how to explain it, but it's like my brain just thinks better when I'm writing in script. Printing and typing makes my thought process choppy and disjointed. Lol.

Yeah... Toss in that I prefer to write everything longhand... I have reams of paper with the lettering flowing across each page like vines of black ink. I love it. It's like an expression of my Logos, really. It's purely aesthetic, I know... I guess it's mental bling, in a way Lmao :)

I like to write in cursive, except at work.. then I have to write in print so everyone can easily read it

but the only problem with me writing in cursive is that I cant actually read most of it

normally when I hand write its a mix of printed and cursive letters in the same words, like I will be writing the word "Difference" and the 'differ' will be in cursive and the "ence" will be printed

For cards...when you mail one, always looks nice to write in cursive, dontcha think?

Oh agreed, but for that I use my 'fancy' cursive. You know, the one people can actually decipher! :P

I only use that one for special occasions though because it takes twice as long as my normal scribble. :D

Oh agreed, but for that I use my 'fancy' cursive. You know, the one people can actually decipher! :P

I only use that one for special occasions though because it takes twice as long as my normal scribble. :D

Maybe you should have been a doctor with messy writing like that ;)

As a kid, I had the neatest cutest little cursive handwriting that teachers just eat up and go googoo on me.

It lasted til I was old enough for it to start looking gay rather than cute so I turned it down a few notches and wrote in chicken scratch instead of unicorn stamps ever since.

Sometimes I feel like I can get diabetes from just looking at some of the elementary school work I've kept

I'm almost the opposite of Yang's. When I was younger, my cursive was ordinary but since I've switched to a mixture of print and cursive I always get comments about my handwriting being nice and neat and somewhat girly. I've tried to make it look a bit messier but they say it still looks neater than most.

Gosh you should see my scrawl..............................

My father wrote verging on a "Copper Plate" perfectly formed letter..

Ashamed am I..., I blame being left-handed and having to take down notes at high speed in my college days, of my writing.

There are times when I can't read my own shopping list!

My signature is illegible but the bank pay my cheques..

Most of us are artists, there are so many forms, of which with writing tool I am not.

My writing is lazy. I connect some letters because it allows me to write faster, but I always write in print. We were forced to learn and write in all cursive from 3rd grade till 8th, with the teachers telling us that the high school teachers required writing in cursive for everything. Well, that turned out to be a load of crap. I was never once required to write in cursive in high school, and the only time I had to write in cursive was for the SATs. Cursive is a dying art. And besides, some people's cursive is impossible to read because it varies much more then print writing does.

</thread>

This is basically what happened to me/how I am. I print, but it's an odd mix of half cursive half printing. I connect certain formations ('th' groups, for example) and leave others separate. It's very illegible to most other people xD

</thread>

This is basically what happened to me/how I am. I print, but it's an odd mix of half cursive half printing. I connect certain formations ('th' groups, for example) and leave others separate. It's very illegible to most other people xD

It's funny because I find the fastest way to write is a mixture of print/cursive. I was surprised that most of my students can read my cursive. But now I stick to print for them, in case the parents can't read it lol

I make a point of using cursive, even calligraphy at times. It is an art that is dying, unfortunately. I was also an architectural drafter for years so I often print in all caps as well.

When I owned my businesses, VERY often I required applications filled out by hand. I learned a great deal that way.