Question of Constructive Criticism

There is a difference in being "critical" and telling an author they should not use words based on some word usage scale just because the word "taunt" is higher ranked than the average grammar school aged child would use.. then again.. every grammar school child *I* know does know that word... herm.

I'm sorry, when you make comments on a story you should feel free to give opinions. Please give opinions, but when you are addressing something such as grammar/spelling/word choice have a reason for it and not just that it "standard". A lot of grammar/spelling/word choice in fiction, especially in dialogue, is not up to standard.

Also remember the first rule in writing is know the rules so you know when and how to break them.

Consider, is the author doing this on purpose or with a purpose?

Engage brain... it's your first line of defense.

• Like 1

I find like with all things the old idiom "when in doubt, don't" really applies.

I've given some author's a 4,000 word breakdown and others I've simply said good job. A find that the reviews are good to let the author and readers know who the chapter is being received. If you find errors or feel like there are major issues wrong then it is best to pm the author and give a private review that way. In my case i know my story isn't edited, sending me reviews saying i need an editor are not helpful. stay alert and as always if in doubt, don't.

Cailen

If there are major issues with any of my stories, I'll gladly accept a mild degree of constructive criticism. However, I simply cannot accept the words of those who say "I think the story wasn't that good because I didn't like it" or something to that effect. Criticism should be as objective as possible and a story isn't bad just because you didn't like the topic/theme/characters/etc. I also dislike people who drop in to read a story of mine, or a chapter, leave some criticism or suggestions, and don't ever come back and read my stuff again. I mean, they don't even read it again to see how much I've improved or worsened. Of course, this doesn't apply to people who say a simple 'good job'. Posted Image

If there are major issues with any of my stories, I'll gladly accept a mild degree of constructive criticism. However, I simply cannot accept the words of those who say "I think the story wasn't that good because I didn't like it" or something to that effect. Criticism should be as objective as possible and a story isn't bad just because you didn't like the topic/theme/characters/etc. I also dislike people who drop in to read a story of mine, or a chapter, leave some criticism or suggestions, and don't ever come back and read my stuff again. I mean, they don't even read it again to see how much I've improved or worsened. Of course, this doesn't apply to people who say a simple 'good job'. Posted Image

I have said a few times, this story needs a revision of the writing, because I thought they needed. And I told that because I loved the story. If the story would had been a bore, I would not had tell anything.

Then, due that I thought it was mostly a careless work, I did not enter into details. Other question is that he would had asked me, or something.

Other question is that there quite a lot of stories. Too many for the time and energy I have at present. On the other hand, the most time I devote to read other people's stories the less time I have to devote to my own. This another problem. Then, I started with a lot of energy reviewing the works of other people, while at the same time, I began to realized that I am redundant here. I feel a sort of alien here. It was a wrong move on my part to come here. But in life one is constantly making wrong decisions.

Well, I said that I dislike those people who just "pass by", read, then actually drop a review and then never come back. I know I can't force people to do what I want them to do, but I just thought it'd be nice for them to take the time to read the work again. Then again, it's really just a personal thing for me. I'm actually not too bothered by it, truthfully; again, I just thought it'd be nice for them to come back and read again. Posted Image