Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Shane  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Shane's sexuality; what's your opinion?

• Straight
    • Gay
    • Bi
    • Asexual
    • Other

Hey we never tried to post pics what the character looks like

Shane seems unaffected by sex orientaton - so bi be right - strange he's the kind of guy to get trevor chasing girls in a bar ... and he so friendly as loners - BI

he does seem to flaunt for geting girls ... asexual?? I won;t rule out

other is as necessary as story progress

Hey we never tried to post pics what the character looks like

Shane seems unaffected by sex orientaton - so bi be right - strange he's the kind of guy to get trevor chasing girls in a bar ... and he so friendly as loners - BI

he does seem to flaunt for geting girls ... asexual?? I won;t rule out

other is as necessary as story progress

B)................ I voted gay, someone has to keep Trevor company when he resumes his voyage to complete the circumnavigation. 0:)

• Site Administrator

Okay, I was going to post this in the actual chapter forum, but I will post it in here.

Everything is being based off this one paragraph:

“No shit, Sherlock,” Shane quipped, laughing aloud and shaking his head. Shane’s smile faded, and in a quiet tone, he added, “No worries, mate... this changes nothing, because I’ve known almost all along. I do get how some people make it hard to be yourself, but as far as I’m concerned, it’s no more a difference than the color of your eyes. You like guys, I like girls, same thing. I’m totally fine with you, unless...” Shane turned to give Trevor a suspicious glare, and added darkly, “Unless you’re related to Ned, which would be utterly unforgivable and downright disgusting!”

CJ has been dropping a fair number of hints to us that things are not what they always seem.

In the paragraph Shane says "You like guys, I like girls, same thing."

I don't take this as Shane admitting he is straight, but more as saying to him it is no difference than him saying they have different colour of eyes. To Shane, it wouldn't be any different.

CJ, in his wisdom put it this way where Shane could have easily have said, "you like girls, i like guys, doesn't make a difference to me".

Remember CJ has said the narrator can't lie or mislead, but character can? Shane is definitely misleading in my opinion here. The only thing I hope for is when Shane admits that finally that he is GAY is that Trevor bugs him forever about being even worse than him at coming out and obviously isn't man enough to admit outright like Trevor did :P

Not 100% sure, but could this be considered hyperbole?

When used as a literary device, hyperbole is an exaggeration that, while not intended to be taken literally, still describes a situation or image that is at least feasible or possible. Exaggeration that is considered impossible is called adynaton.

• Like 2

I voted bi. Shane seems to like to look at hot girls, and he likes to mess with Trevor's mind but still likes to look at him. Now, being bi doesn't mean you're 50-50. Sexuality is a continuum and those who are bi can float along that continuum and switch sides whenever they want.

Colin B)

• Like 1

B)...................Ok, "

Trevor blinked. “Whoa... Dad really did it, just like he promised? That’s great news! That means I don’t have to wait for my eighteenth birthday to come home,” Trevor blurted without thinking. He’d expected his exile to last until June of 2007.

In the galley, Shane was busy preparing breakfast, and heard Trevor’s exclamation. Shane froze for a moment, his smile turning into a sad, hurt frown as he resumed working"

Humm, wistful thinking on his new found friendship or what?? Me thinks Shane and the goat protest too much!

• Like 1

Good comments by Steve and Benji. I think the goat doesn't mind playing with our minds. He's given enough (possibly) contradictory information to serve his purpose. Shane's words and reactions might mislead us, but that is the character misleading another character, not the author misleading the readers.

I vote that Shane is gay. I'll even go out on a limb and predict that he will accompany Trevor on the second half of his circumnavigation. A circumnavigation doesn't have to be solo. Once they've found Trevor's mother in Australia and she's explained the means and reasons for her disappearance, they'll be on their way.

This does remind me of the endless discussions of what constitutes a cliffhanger.

• Site Moderator

I'll even go out on a limb and predict that he will accompany Trevor on the second half of his circumnavigation.

I'll join you on that limb.

I think that'd be both likely and wise whatever Shane's orientation.

I WANT Shane to be sexually interested in Trevor. I don't get the feeling that he is, but one of Trevor's problems, from the very first chapter, is that he never found a guy that could keep up with him in his interests and also interested him in his own right. Shane does.

But, first, we have to get passed all the Bridget nonsense. And that will take at least another 25 chapters.

I voted straight. I love romance but this epic story doesn't really need one. :P I guess I could see Shane breaking down and confessing his love for Trevor right when they are about to separate. But it would be a bit too convenient.

A Point to Ponder

It s obvious to me and I hope to everyone else that Shane really likes Trevor. It is inconceivable to me that Shane would do anything or allow anything or anybody to harm Trevor in any way. I believe that Shane would go so far as to sacrifice himself to save Trevor.

Trevor has told Shane the most important goal in his life is to find Rachel’s body and bring it home to be buried.

That being said, what is the primary thing that appears to have upset Shane personally, over the course of the chapters, since they sailed away from Carnarvon aboard the Kookaburra?

The answer lays, not so much, as to what Shane has said, but what he has thought and felt. The Narrator has interjected multiple times a description of Shane’s sorrow, when the subject of Trevor’s departing Australia to complete his Circumnavigation comes up.

The question as to whether Shane is Gay, Bi or whatever, IMHO is meaningless. I believe the question should be; How far would Shane go to insure Trevor’s success in reaching his objective

Would Shane go so far as to conceal his orientation from Trevor? Would he deny himself the bliss of a relationship?

IMHO Until you discover the answers to those questions, you will never know the truth of Shane’s orientation.

Edited by MartyS

Good comments by Steve and Benji. I think the goat doesn't mind playing with our minds. He's given enough (possibly) contradictory information to serve his purpose. Shane's words and reactions might mislead us, but that is the character misleading another character, not the author misleading the readers.

I vote that Shane is gay. I'll even go out on a limb and predict that he will accompany Trevor on the second half of his circumnavigation. A circumnavigation doesn't have to be solo. Once they've found Trevor's mother in Australia and she's explained the means and reasons for her disappearance, they'll be on their way.

This does remind me of the endless discussions of what constitutes a cliffhanger.

I agree with half of this post. I believe he is straight, and comfortable enough with his own sexuality not to be bothered by a gay man accidentally getting an erection in his presence.

Additionally, I feel that Shane's part in this novel does not end with Australia. He and Trevor certainly have bonded very well since they crossed swords (fists?) when Trevor landed in Carnarvon. Their connection feels a lot like that between Trevor and Joel. Honestly, think about it. Shane has NO ONE in the entire world, save the Blakes. He and Trevor have clicked on a level he hasn't felt since whatever childhood friends he may have had in Cairns. It's only natural for him to feel sorrow knowing the one friend he's had in years will be leaving for a far away region of the world in fewer than six months, and may not come back any time soon. He wouldn't be losing anything if he asked the Blakes to find a new caretaker for Kookaburra and boarded Atlantis for the journey back to the Caribbean, and South Florida, into the mouth of whatever horrors await them should they escape whatever peril Bridget is setting Trevor up for. Hell, Shane might BE that escape, as I'm not sure Bridget will be overly concerned about the crew of a boat Trevor is renting. She's getting trigger-happy, and sloppy.

• Like 2

I agree with half of this post. I believe he is straight, and comfortable enough with his own sexuality not to be bothered by a gay man accidentally getting an erection in his presence.

Additionally, I feel that Shane's part in this novel does not end with Australia. He and Trevor certainly have bonded very well since they crossed swords (fists?) when Trevor landed in Carnarvon. Their connection feels a lot like that between Trevor and Joel. Honestly, think about it. Shane has NO ONE in the entire world, save the Blakes. He and Trevor have clicked on a level he hasn't felt since whatever childhood friends he may have had in Cairns. It's only natural for him to feel sorrow knowing the one friend he's had in years will be leaving for a far away region of the world in fewer than six months, and may not come back any time soon. He wouldn't be losing anything if he asked the Blakes to find a new caretaker for Kookaburra and boarded Atlantis for the journey back to the Caribbean, and South Florida, into the mouth of whatever horrors await them should they escape whatever peril Bridget is setting Trevor up for. Hell, Shane might BE that escape, as I'm not sure Bridget will be overly concerned about the crew of a boat Trevor is renting. She's getting trigger-happy, and sloppy.

Well said, Robbie. I think I agree with all you said except Shane's sexuality. Perhaps we should split the difference on that. Bisexuality would easily fit Shane's behavior and permit the future course of the story as we both outlined it.. I think you have described the relationship between the two young men very well.

B)................. Still waiting on the newspaper story to break, then Trevor will have to stay hidden real low, as Sanchez will be able to locate him. That story will be international. So the question of Shane's sexuality may not come up for several more chapters, as for Shane accompanying Trevor back to Florida will have to be a case of his finances, so how fast can he write a book? :lmao: Hopefully the goat won't help Shane write it, or it could be as long as Shane's 21st birthday.

...as for Shane accompanying Trevor back to Florida will have to be a case of his finances, so how fast can he write a book? :lmao: Hopefully the goat won't help Shane write it, or it could be as long as Shane's 21st birthday.

I wonder why Shane's finances would be an obstacle to joining Trevor on the sailing trip back to Florida. Trevor could cover Shane's expenses (food, entertainment) and other costs would be negligible. They would strike out from the west coast of Australia and either go south or north before continuing the Circumnavigation by heading east. There are many interesting stops along the way (Tasmania, the east coast of Australia, or the tropical northern coast of Australia), and many small islands along the route to Hawaii, then go through the Panama Canal and across the Caribbean to Florida, or (IMO much less likely) make a much longer and more dangerous trip by sailing around the tip of South America then north to Florida.

Of course, we don't know what our resident Goat has in mind for Trevor and Shane -- and his readers. That's what makes reading Circumnavigation so interesting!

Colin B)

I wonder why Shane's finances would be an obstacle to joining Trevor on the sailing trip back to Florida. Trevor could cover Shane's expenses (food, entertainment) and other costs would be negligible. They would strike out from the west coast of Australia and either go south or north before continuing the Circumnavigation by heading east. There are many interesting stops along the way (Tasmania, the east coast of Australia, or the tropical northern coast of Australia), and many small islands along the route to Hawaii, then go through the Panama Canal and across the Caribbean to Florida, or (IMO much less likely) make a much longer and more dangerous trip by sailing around the tip of South America then north to Florida.

Of course, we don't know what our resident Goat has in mind for Trevor and Shane -- and his readers. That's what makes reading Circumnavigation so interesting!

Colin B)

B)................. I'm ever mindful of Shane and his situation, he would be mindful of Trevor offering his passage to the states in lieu of payment other then as a crew member I think. Shane would be mixed feelings about being offered it, he doesn't want to lose contact with Trevor, yet does not want to be a charity case. But then again maybe Joel can convince him of doing it for Trevor's sake. I'm pretty sure the final leg of circumnavigation will be with Shane and Trevor, with Sanchez, Bridget, George tagging along to provide entertainment. 0:)

B)................. Still waiting on the newspaper story to break, then Trevor will have to stay hidden real low, as Sanchez will be able to locate him. That story will be international. So the question of Shane's sexuality may not come up for several more chapters, as for Shane accompanying Trevor back to Florida will have to be a case of his finances, so how fast can he write a book? :lmao:Hopefully the goat won't help Shane write it, or it could be as long as Shane's 21st birthday.

:blink: :blink: Hey... I'm not that bad... er, well, umm, ah... when did this story start posting? ERK, Dec2009, from the look of it. It is now June, 2011, so a year and a half. Wow... Umm, I did originally say his was going to run 20 to 25 chapters total. And oddly, there have been no major plot changes, it's just it takes a lot more words than I assumed to cover some things. It's not that I'm long winded though.. and if need be I can post a 17 page essay on why, exactly, I am not long winded. 0:)

My sincere thanks to all who have stuck with the story this long. :hug:

Colin B)

Cape Horn (tip of South America) would be longer, but possibly faster (due to more wind and in favorable directions). It would also be, as you mention, a lot more dangerous. On the flip side, transiting Panama, in the cartel's back yard, would likely have, um, unforeseen consequences. :)

I'm pretty sure the final leg of circumnavigation will be with Shane and Trevor, with Sanchez, Bridget, George tagging along to provide entertainment. 0:)

Ohhh!! Benji, I think you're onto something. Bridget, George, and Sanchez as guests aboard Atlantis!! For a charter maybe? That'd be fun... and I think they'd enjoy it. Great idea! And don't worry, if it happens, I'll make sure you get full credit for the idea. 0:)

My sincere thanks to all who have suck with the story this long.

Err CJ,

I am not quite sure what this means.

Are you implying the story and the readers suck? Who? What? When? Where? How?

Is there an orgy in progrese no one told me about?

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..