Against "Type" Changes that make for a "fresh" st

I have written several stories. From the first story posted, I was concerned that any subsequent story would be a "rehash" of my first. I have written for humor, romance and fantasy. Yet, all seem to have a common "voice"... mine. Am I doomed to be a one dimensional writer? If you have suggestions, believe me, I want to hear them. I am starting a new story and want this one to be "different".

This post probably doesn't belong here... If I knew how, I would delete it.

• Like 1

I have written several stories. From the first story posted, I was concerned that any subsequent story would be a "rehash" of my first. I have written for humor, romance and fantasy. Yet, all seem to have a common "voice"... mine. Am I doomed to be a one dimensional writer? If you have suggestions, believe me, I want to hear them. I am starting a new story and want this one to be "different".

• Like 1

The best idea is to try to change perspective. If you usually write 'He did this and She did that' try doing it as 'I did this and I followed her because she did that'.

Alot of my work jumps around the pov and thats why i like writing in my voice but i do LOTS of different things each time i go to write :)

i guess i'm really just finding my voice.

If you have a voice stick to it but if you want to try something doing then just go for it!

What have you got to lose?

The best idea is to try to change perspective. If you usually write 'He did this and She did that' try doing it as 'I did this and I followed her because she did that'.

Alot of my work jumps around the pov and thats why i like writing in my voice but i do LOTS of different things each time i go to write :)

i guess i'm really just finding my voice.

If you have a voice stick to it but if you want to try something doing then just go for it!

What have you got to lose?

J C,

I am new to writing and appreciate you thoughts. maybe I should try something totally different.

• Like 1

Quarterly Anthologies run by GA Staff :) Next one is due on the 8th and the theme is 'Walk On The Wild Side' look in the anthology forum or PM Graeme for details :)

I will, and thanks.

• Site Administrator

I think you can have a style and still mix it up. All of my writing has a similar feel and typically involves new relationships. However, if you look at a sampling of different stories you'd see that the stories behind that are all vastly different. I try to mix up the plots and come up with new ideas in different genres. I've used first and third person though I've come to favor third person. Sometimes I write in the modern genre, sometimes fantasy, sometimes I combine the two. I've had 20 somethings, teenagers, older/younger couplings (both overage still)...

The challenge isn't to change your style if it works for you, as to just changing your approach. Think up characters and become them. A story told from the perspective of a 16 year old guy is going to sound vastly different than one told from the perspective of his father, no matter what style you use. Try different genres, mystery, fantasy, drama, romance, comedy, tragedy. You never know what you are truly good at until you try it. Don't box yourself into one aspect of your writing ability.

Quarterly Anthologies run by GA Staff :) Next one is due on the 8th and the theme is 'Walk On The Wild Side' look in the anthology forum or PM Graeme for details :)

Thanks, i'll check it out.

I think you can have a style and still mix it up. All of my writing has a similar feel and typically involves new relationships. However, if you look at a sampling of different stories you'd see that the stories behind that are all vastly different. I try to mix up the plots and come up with new ideas in different genres. I've used first and third person though I've come to favor third person. Sometimes I write in the modern genre, sometimes fantasy, sometimes I combine the two. I've had 20 somethings, teenagers, older/younger couplings (both overage still)...

The challenge isn't to change your style if it works for you, as to just changing your approach. Think up characters and become them. A story told from the perspective of a 16 year old guy is going to sound vastly different than one told from the perspective of his father, no matter what style you use. Try different genres, mystery, fantasy, drama, romance, comedy, tragedy. You never know what you are truly good at until you try it. Don't box yourself into one aspect of your writing ability.

Is this a common question from "new" writers. I have done different genres, humor and drama and fantasy. I fo get different characters and they are themselves unique... there is a commonality that concerns me.

Every writer should have their own personal flair. I guess you shouldn't be so worried about having a common factor amongst all your works unless it's getting to the point where the story becomes predictable for those who have already read much of your work.

Every writer should have their own personal flair. I guess you shouldn't be so worried about having a common factor amongst all your works unless it's getting to the point where the story becomes predictable for those who have already read much of your work.

Fair enough there are differences in the storyline and characters. I am trying something different now....

If I understand you right.

Try submerging yourself in the personality of your character(s). For instance, if they're broody, try to act, think, behave that way in your writing. Hold grudges, be moody, argumentative, pessimistic etc. feel what they feel,empathise with them. React in ways you never would in your own life.

I'm kind of a newbie myself, so that's really all I can suggest.

Experiment with things that are outside your comfort zone. Try writing from a different POV. First person, third person, past, present, alternating POV by chapter, changing POV, writing stream of consciousness which is the one that really really gets into the character's head because you 'are' the character, telling things exactly as they happen.

Don't think of a story, let it come to you. Live with the characters and Mike said. For the time you are writing 'be' them. Let them speak to you, interact and provide you with dialogue and take your story in different ways. With some of my stories the route the plot has taken has totally shocked me because it is very idfferent to what i had intended. Let yours do the same.

Try planning and researching.

Try mapping out the whole story, loosely or chapter by chapter

Try writing with no idea where the story is going just letting it take you.

Write as if they are journal entries or with an outside force dipping in and commenting or as blogs or anything at all that takes your fancy

Try anything you can think of that is new and you haven't done before.

Most of all have fun.

• Site Administrator

Well it depends on what you mean by 'commonality'. Do you mean your story progression such as how the characters meet and interact? Are your characters all similar heights and weights, ages, jobs? Do you use similar pairings for relationships through each story? There are different writers who do use a similar style throughout their writings, such as those who prefer set relationship styles: bear/twink stories, adult/young adult, jock/geek, dom/sub. Really, as MarkSen mentioned, as long as the commonality isn't a predictable plot device or progression used over and over with different characters you should be fine.

Oh, and I definitely recommend John's suggestion of trying new things with the Quarterly Anthologies. I've explored specific writing styles with short stories for them because it's less pressure than a chapter story and you're already looking to put a twist on a common theme other writers will use. It pushes you to think beyond your comfort zone sometimes. I've posted short stories and anthologies where I explored first and third person, mixing first and third person, dramatic monologue, allegorical stories... Lately I've begun toying with an idea with a framing style story such as Arabian Nights or Frankenstein. Not every story you write exploring a new technique will turn out well or be well received but it's good to try new things.

Well it depends on what you mean by 'commonality'. Do you mean your story progression such as how the characters meet and interact? Are your characters all similar heights and weights, ages, jobs? Do you use similar pairings for relationships through each story? There are different writers who do use a similar style throughout their writings, such as those who prefer set relationship styles: bear/twink stories, adult/young adult, jock/geek, dom/sub. Really, as MarkSen mentioned, as long as the commonality isn't a predictable plot device or progression used over and over with different characters you should be fine.

Oh, and I definitely recommend John's suggestion of trying new things with the Quarterly Anthologies. I've explored specific writing styles with short stories for them because it's less pressure than a chapter story and you're already looking to put a twist on a common theme other writers will use. It pushes you to think beyond your comfort zone sometimes. I've posted short stories and anthologies where I explored first and third person, mixing first and third person, dramatic monologue, allegorical stories... Lately I've begun toying with an idea with a framing style story such as Arabian Nights or Frankenstein. Not every story you write exploring a new technique will turn out well or be well received but it's good to try new things.

I think my stories have the differences you describe. maybe I am looking for a problem that does not exist. I will try anthologies.

To everyone posting in these identical Lounge and Q&A topics, they were merged. Just fyi. ;)

I posted this first in Lounge. Then realized it was in the wrong place. I looked for a way to delete it and found none. Sorry.

This is going to be a quick reply, but I'll make my advice as brief as possible.

Your Voice - If you recognize that you have a common, overlapping style iun the way you write, that's good. Some writers struggle to find 'their voice' for a long while. While I believe I've somewhat established myself into mine, any good writer is always constantly improving with the work they're writing. One novel's good, the next is better, the next is even better than the second, then so on. If, like I mentioned, you recognize common fruits of which your tree (of writing) bear, then use those to your advantage. That's an extremely positive way to develop your voice.

Your Character's Voice - If, perhaps, you are worrying that each and every character you are writing talks in 'your' voice (not the way you write, but the way in which you believe to speak or admit dialogue,) then you may want to consider doing something I call 'people watching.' I believe that part of the reason why I always find compliments about my dialogue so common is that I've done this over my childhood and during the times in which I do just what I'm about to describe. Say you're with a group of friends. Each friend is different, each friend has a different time of education, outlook, etc. A common example would be the girl who talks in a preppy, 'dumb-barbie' voice (Oh my God, I just had, like, the most awesome time today!) Another would be the proper, educated person--whom, when answering the phone and is addressed, says, 'This is she,' as that is more proper than saying 'This is her.'

To break it down in Layman's terms, I think the best way to go about creating 'voices' for your characters is to think about how they talk. Some people (like me) may find this easy, others may find it harder or more difficult starting out. I do believe that dialogue is something you learn to develop over time. That isn't to say that you'll be amazing at it to start, but there's always a grace period in which you're just getting into things and they're rolling smoothly forward for you.

Hope that helps, if even a little bit. :)

This is going to be a quick reply, but I'll make my advice as brief as possible.

Your Voice - If you recognize that you have a common, overlapping style iun the way you write, that's good. Some writers struggle to find 'their voice' for a long while. While I believe I've somewhat established myself into mine, any good writer is always constantly improving with the work they're writing. One novel's good, the next is better, the next is even better than the second, then so on. If, like I mentioned, you recognize common fruits of which your tree (of writing) bear, then use those to your advantage. That's an extremely positive way to develop your voice.

Your Character's Voice - If, perhaps, you are worrying that each and every character you are writing talks in 'your' voice (not the way you write, but the way in which you believe to speak or admit dialogue,) then you may want to consider doing something I call 'people watching.' I believe that part of the reason why I always find compliments about my dialogue so common is that I've done this over my childhood and during the times in which I do just what I'm about to describe. Say you're with a group of friends. Each friend is different, each friend has a different time of education, outlook, etc. A common example would be the girl who talks in a preppy, 'dumb-barbie' voice (Oh my God, I just had, like, the most awesome time today!) Another would be the proper, educated person--whom, when answering the phone and is addressed, says, 'This is she,' as that is more proper than saying 'This is her.'

To break it down in Layman's terms, I think the best way to go about creating 'voices' for your characters is to think about how they talk. Some people (like me) may find this easy, others may find it harder or more difficult starting out. I do believe that dialogue is something you learn to develop over time. That isn't to say that you'll be amazing at it to start, but there's always a grace period in which you're just getting into things and they're rolling smoothly forward for you.

• Like 1

As I read your post I thought, "I do those things. I 'channel' each character. Even when my editor offered a change in dialog with which I disagreed, I put the words in my character's mouth to see if they fit. I have decided what I really need is a confirmation that I have a "problem".

I read your story, "War is in the hearts of Men". I was impressed, very insightful. It was good enough that I respect your opinion.

I have two relatively short stories posted which I feel have different characters with distinct voices. I would appeiciate it if you and any other interested folks, would read them and offer an opinion.... I ASK THAT YOU NOT POST A REVIEW! This is not about enhancing my standing on GA..... this is a serious issue to me, as a new writer. There are sexually explicit scenes in both stroies... well maybe depending upon your definition. They are "Noy yet Doc" and "Unclaimed Hearts", they are "different". The question I now have is, "Do I have a problem as a writer"?

I know I have a challenge with syntax.... I have had the services of two folks kind enough to offer assistance. Still there are gliches.

Thanks for your time and your thoughtful post.

Jim

• Like 1

If I understand you right.

Try submerging yourself in the personality of your character(s). For instance, if they're broody, try to act, think, behave that way in your writing. Hold grudges, be moody, argumentative, pessimistic etc. feel what they feel,empathise with them. React in ways you never would in your own life.

I'm kind of a newbie myself, so that's really all I can suggest.

I do ask myself, "how would he feel...? what would he say?" That is how I get the dialog. The more I see the helpful comments... the more I question, "Do I have a problem"?

thanks for your insights.

jim

• Like 1

Experiment with things that are outside your comfort zone. Try writing from a different POV. First person, third person, past, present, alternating POV by chapter, changing POV, writing stream of consciousness which is the one that really really gets into the character's head because you 'are' the character, telling things exactly as they happen.

Don't think of a story, let it come to you. Live with the characters and Mike said. For the time you are writing 'be' them. Let them speak to you, interact and provide you with dialogue and take your story in different ways. With some of my stories the route the plot has taken has totally shocked me because it is very idfferent to what i had intended. Let yours do the same.

Try planning and researching.

Try mapping out the whole story, loosely or chapter by chapter

Try writing with no idea where the story is going just letting it take you.

Write as if they are journal entries or with an outside force dipping in and commenting or as blogs or anything at all that takes your fancy

Try anything you can think of that is new and you haven't done before.

Most of all have fun.

Strange, I am not sure I "have fun" in writing... It just is. You know I already admire your skill. Thanks for the advice.

I try the approach you suggest.... the question is do I succeed?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm working on my first story now and I'm also wondering about the same thing for when I finish this one. I think you could always solve this by creating a character who sees the world completely differently. Maybe by changing the language they use, circumstances they face, giving the character strong views on a particular subject or an interesting quirk, etc. Hope this helps!